Sign in with
Your question

Memory Settings

Last response: in Memory
September 18, 2011 11:37:40 AM

Hi Everyone,

Can someone please help me with memory configuration? When I have my Dram freq set to 1333 or 1600mhz & run 2 sticks of ram, I got errors within the first 10%, but if I test each stick separately it doesn't give any errors. Next I decided to switch the 2 sticks around & no errors.

Next I put in all 4 sticks & set the Dram freq to 1333 or 1600 & immediately got a bunch of errors, so I tested the other 2 sticks separately in each of the slots & no errors. So I tried the following, I put all 4 sticks back in & lowered the Dram Freq to 800 Mhz & after 1 full pass, there was no errors (I'm going to let it run for a while).

So my question, is it normal to have to run 16 GB of ram at 800mhz? If in order to use 16 GB with no errors requires to be ran at 800mhz, what timings should i use, so the lower memory speed will be minimal?

Overall I'm trying to O/C my cpu to 4ghz. I can get to 3.7 but that is with 1.475v vcore. I had no problem getting to 4.1 with a Gigabyte board (can't remember the model) with 4 ghz DDR2 ram, but wanted to make the switch to DDR3. Another reason wanting to try to get to 4 ghz is b/c I am thinking of getting a cpu upgrade, & if I choose BD, it would be nice to not have to purchase a new MB. Yes I know that this one will work, but I would probably get another one, if it would help with the O/C, especially since I read from others that they also couldn't get past 3.7 on this board.

System:
AMD 1090-T
Asus M5A88-V Evo
4 - 4 GB Kingston Hyper X 1600mhz DDR3 1.65v 9-9-9-27 timings
ATI 6850 Raedon Black Video

Thanks

More about : memory settings

September 18, 2011 11:49:45 AM

your calling your memory size GHz its GB as in gigabytes. you did this in three places.
but no thats not normal it sounds to me like one of your memory channels is broken. thats not uncommon, sometimes its the result of the manufacturer only supporting certain speeds with all 4 sticks. other times the board is just bad.
i found that most people have trouble running memory on this board past 1333 but your having trouble at that speed so i bet the board is bad. you can try their support but asus support is terribly bad. id just RMA it
September 18, 2011 7:56:34 PM

I wrote this right before I went to bed & didn't realize I was putting Ghz for GB, so thank you for that !!

I let it ran for 10 hrs at 800mhz setting & no errors. When I set it back to 1600mhz, it gave me a bad checksum error & attempted to find the bios file on the cd. When I lowered it to 1333 it gave errors fairly quickly.

Now I'm running it at 1066mhz at so far, it hasn't given any errors.

Like you mentioned the board is probably bad, so I'll probably end up getting a new one, but going to wait until I know if I'm going to get BD or SB. Of course with my luck, if I wait, BD will end up being pretty decent for the results & price & If I bought a new AM3+ board now, BD will be bad & I'll wonder why I wasted the $100 or so dollars on that board, when it could have went to a SB board.

farrengottu said:
your calling your memory size GHz its GB as in gigabytes. you did this in three places.
but no thats not normal it sounds to me like one of your memory channels is broken. thats not uncommon, sometimes its the result of the manufacturer only supporting certain speeds with all 4 sticks. other times the board is just bad.
i found that most people have trouble running memory on this board past 1333 but your having trouble at that speed so i bet the board is bad. you can try their support but asus support is terribly bad. id just RMA it

a b } Memory
September 18, 2011 8:30:01 PM

Did you buy ONE matched, tested 16 GB. RAM Kit or four DIMMs or 2x RAM kits? If you did not buy ONE matched, tested RAM kit, there is no guarantee that the RAM will function together without issues even if identical part numbers.

When all DIMM slots are filled many mobos revert the RAM speed to the default CPU RAM speed. The AMD 1090T has a 1333 Mhz. default RAM speed but if the RAM will not run at this speed it can be due to mixing of RAM vs. ONE matched, tested kit. It's unlikely you have a bad RAM socket since all the RAM runs without issue @ 800 Mhz.

It's highly unlikely the mobo is the issue.
!