Is it safe to move these folders from my boot drive?

NotSoHonestAbe

Honorable
Sep 24, 2012
I have an 80GB hard drive that has my OS on it, and it has some other folders. I'm getting a 30GB SSD for the boot drive soon, and I need to clear up some space on the 80GB hard drive. I have a secondary 1TB Hard Drive for storage with about 480 GB open, so where to move the files to won't be a problem. There are only folders on the drive, one of them being windows, which I know I can't delete.
The folders are (by name):
■e3fd7462cb40b938adda8353
■Expat Shield (I know I can delete this one, but when I try to it says I need administrator permission)
■NVIDIA
■Program Files
■Users
■Windows

Which ones can I safely move to the other hard drive, without causing any problems?

leonfeldman89

Honorable
Jan 29, 2013

The first one with the long hash name is a windows update directory.
Expat Shield is a web access encryption product so it's going ot be integrated into system files.
Nvidia folder is probably fine to delete, i don't remember if it stores any driver update information.
Program files is all of your applications and software, don't delete this.
Users is all of your user directories like downloads, documents,desktop, appdata, etc... Can't delete this.
Windows...is well...windows, so don't delete this lol

But of course if you just want to keep your user data and not windows and the programs and applications then just copy the users folder and format the drive and do a fresh instll of windows on the ssd.

if you can't or don't want to do a fresh install of windows on the ssd, you can actaully use cloning software to make an exact image copy ont othe ssd when you get it. You'll need to make sure that you have less than 27GB of usable space filled in that case, so you'll need to unisnstall most of your programs and expat shield and clear any user documents, movies, pictures, etc....

Also, a 30Gb SSD will only really be able to hold windows and the updates it uses. You're going to have to be aware that any programs you install will need to be on a custom location on a different drive.

leonfeldman89

Honorable
Jan 29, 2013
Well, you shouldn't move the folders individually, because just copying over the windows system files won't gauranty windows will boot properly and not cause system corruption.

You'll need to do what's called "cloning" the drive to the ssd. Basically you're taking a sefctor by sector image of the hard drive including the file system information and cloning it over to the ssd.
As long as the hard drive has less than 27GB of used capacity, you can do this with free software very easily.

Otherwise, you'll need to do a fresh install of windows onto the ssd.

leonfeldman89

Honorable
Jan 29, 2013

I would use acronis true image.
That's what I use currently, I'm not sure if it will work with the trial version.
There's also alternative sources you can use.
PM if you have some more questions about that.

TRENDING THREADS