Sign in with
Your question

GTX 580 Matrix(SLI) and ASUS Maximus IV Extreme-Z

Last response: in Motherboards
September 18, 2011 2:10:41 PM

Excuse me for asking this here, couldn't decide if it was a video card question or a MOBO???

With the, ASUS Maximus IV Extreme-Z LGA 1155 Intel Z68, it has 4 PCI slots. I've done some reading and have come to the conclusion that if I bought 2 GTX 580 Matrix's, because of the cooler, they would fit in PCI 1 and PCI 3 Slots. Am I correct with this assumption? Will it have any bearing on GPU or Gaming Performance?

Oh and I will be adding a i7 2600k w/ 16GB of Corsair Vengeance.

Thanks to all that add their input, your putting my mind at ease with your knowledge.
September 18, 2011 7:09:04 PM

I am assuming this would be the configuration. But is it possible to have 2 cards one in PCI 1 slot and another in PCI 4 slot? Or is that just an impossible configuration?
m
l
September 27, 2011 9:11:15 AM

cruc1al said:
Excuse me for asking this here, couldn't decide if it was a video card question or a MOBO???

With the, ASUS Maximus IV Extreme-Z LGA 1155 Intel Z68, it has 4 PCI slots. I've done some reading and have come to the conclusion that if I bought 2 GTX 580 Matrix's, because of the cooler, they would fit in PCI 1 and PCI 3 Slots. Am I correct with this assumption? Will it have any bearing on GPU or Gaming Performance?

Oh and I will be adding a i7 2600k w/ 16GB of Corsair Vengeance.

Thanks to all that add their input, your putting my mind at ease with your knowledge.

i'm actually running the maximus with matrix's in sli and the top card gets real hot, 90+ when gaming. the matrix is a nice card but the three slot configuration really mucks up the cooling situation. if i were you i would consider another card for sli. my top card has been all the way up to 97. im thinking about removing one.
m
l
Related resources
September 27, 2011 11:16:06 AM

I actually purchased the EVGA 580 Classified. Instead of the Matrix. Thanks for sharing though.
m
l
September 28, 2011 9:11:20 PM

I'm actually in a bit of the same fickle as you, Cruc1al, except I haven't bought it yet, but I'm looking at the exact same specs as you.

I'm getting a pair of MSI N580GTX Lightnings (1.5 GB), though, and I'm hoping that the better cooling these cards are supposed to have (from what I can see in reviews) will reduce this problem.

I'm also getting a Lian Li PC-X2000F, which is a MASSIVE tower with 3 14 cm fans blowing air directly over the mobo.

Hoping someone has experience with this :D  and any advice.
m
l
!