PSU, Fans, and mobo connection question

Hello all, put together my first build recently and had run into an issue where I shorted my chassis fans out accidentally. I did a few searches online on fan connections and didn't find much unfortunately, so I figured I'd pose my questions here to see if maybe someone could enlighten me a bit.

First a little background, I have a Lian Li K62 case. It has 4 fans (one front, one back, and 2 top) that are all 12 volt. I hooked them up in series on one cable coming from my Corsair 650 watt psu, and connected the end (a 4 pin adapter) to my mobo at another 4 pin adapter.

My mistake was obviously not checking the voltages. The 4 pin adapter was 5 volt and one of the pins wasn't necessary for my need, thus shorting it out.

Anyway, my questions (if anyone can provide help) are as follows:
Is there any issue having all 4 of these fans on one line from the PSU?

I shorted out the end of the line and it smoked up a bit melting that wire. I can disconnect that portion and run the fans without being connected to the mobo. Is this an okay set-up for now (being my first set-up, I will fix this as I want to do it right, but in the meantime I want to know if it's dangerous or not)?

I believe the proper fix to this was to connect my fans to the 3 pin 12 volt Chassis fan connector on the mobo (once I get the wire fixed), is that correct?

Thanks for any info you might be able to provide.
2 answers Last reply
More about fans mobo connection question
  1. No. Your mistake was connecting the fans to both the motherboard and the PSU.

Fans do not use much power. There is no problem connecting all 4 fans to the PSU. There is, however, a problem connecting all 4 fans to one motherboard connector. You can overload the little chip or transistor that controls the fan. I do not recomment conecting more than 2 fan to one motherboard connector.
  2. Hmm, okay, so then just to clarify, I need only to connect the fans to the PSU OR the mobo?

The fans have a larger 4 hole connector, the only way I was able to connect them in series was to connect each fan to the PSU in series on the cable. At the end of the cable was a smaller 4 pinhole connector which is how I connected it to the mobo.

How would I connect the fans directly to the motherboard without the cable from the PSU? Is there a standalone connection that goes directly there that I simply don't have/wasn't included?
Ask a new question

Read More

Power Supplies Connection Components