Sign in with
Your question

How to get temp readings on Geforce 400 series

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
September 5, 2010 11:59:42 AM

Hello sirs and madams

I am currently testing out different cooling solutions for my case (fan placements etc) and want to read my GPU temps. I use 2 Geforce 460 cards in SLI.
I remember before on my 9000 series card I could read the temperatures in teh nvidia control panel, but I can't find it there anymore.

Anybody know of a standalone app?
I tried the googling, but all I found was articles showing off temperatures with no mention on how they got their readings.

I know I must have sucked at the googling, so please do a lmgtfy to rub it in my face :p 

//Jannie
a b U Graphics card
September 5, 2010 12:06:50 PM

I prefer to use GPU-Z, available here. It monitors far more than just the GPU temperature.
September 5, 2010 12:14:21 PM

Yes, this program is very suitable indeed :) 
Thanks Razbery <3
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
September 5, 2010 12:23:42 PM

You're welcome.

When running GPU-Z, go to the Settings tab and be sure to check the box marked "Continue refreshing while ..." so that when it's minimized, it still takes readings. This will allow you view a record of readings taken while you were gaming. You can then sift through them and view the current, low, high, and average reading for any of the settings the program monitors, whether it be temperature, fan speed, or power draw.
September 5, 2010 12:23:45 PM

I actually like to use the MSI Afterburner software. It will give you the temperature for both cards. If you run it, it will also tell you what your max and minimum temperatures have been as well as allowing you to overclock the card if you wish to do so. It also allows you to control the fan speed on your graphics cards using a graphic which really allows you to fine tune it.

http://event.msi.com/vga/afterburner/download.htm

If all you want is software that will give you temperatures, I would recommend SpeedFan. It gives you the temperatures for multiple GPU's, system temp, CPU temp, hard drive temps, cpu core temps, system fan speeds (in RPM), voltages, and give you your computer uptime - this is using the "Exotics" feature in this program.

http://www.almico.com/sfdownload.php

I recommend them both highly.

This is what they look like. Afterburner on the left - SpeedFan on the right.

September 5, 2010 1:41:05 PM

Doesnt afterburner sip into too much resources? It looks kind of resource heavy.
a c 376 U Graphics card
September 5, 2010 1:54:34 PM

No it doesn't. It will also allow you to use an onscreen display for temps(among other things) during gaming. Also it is the best software for overclocking your cards which should be able to get up around 900mhz with a voltage boost of the core.
a b U Graphics card
September 5, 2010 1:59:49 PM

I would have recommended Afterburner, but Jannie wanted something to monitor the card, not overclock it. Afterburner has functions that can be dangerous to even experienced overclockers. EVGA's Precision does as well.

Speedfan's decent, but monitors far more than just the video card, and lacks video card specific features found within GPU-Z.
a c 376 U Graphics card
September 5, 2010 2:14:37 PM

You don't need to use Afterburner to OC. I don't see why the best monitoring software shouldn't be recommended just because it can do other things as well.
And stating the software is dangerous is needlessly alarming people. On current cards even if you were to purposely bump up the voltage and turn down the fan the built-in safety features of the card would throttle it down if temps got to a truly dangerous level.
a b U Graphics card
September 5, 2010 2:37:17 PM

OK, maybe dangerous was too strong a term... But a word of caution can go a long way in preventing accidental damage. That in mind, GPU-Z presents no need for any such caution as it is purely a monitoring program.

While I like Afterburner, when it comes to pure GPU monitoring purposes, GPU-Z has always been more than adequate.
a c 376 U Graphics card
September 5, 2010 2:41:18 PM

You don't see the advantage of an onscreen display of temps/usage while actually gaming?
a b U Graphics card
September 5, 2010 2:45:30 PM

Not really, unless I'm truly worried about how hard I'm pushing my video card. But, that really only applies when I'm testing overclock stability. In which case, I use programs specifically designed for that purpose, which almost always push to 100% usage and include their own on-screen temp display.
September 5, 2010 2:47:32 PM

So realistically, how far can I overclock an 460 to a stable degree?
I dont want to really push its limits or anything, just some more speed would be good.
In the good old days, I had to use the coolbits regedit hack to be able to overclock nvidia cards. Good times :D 
a c 376 U Graphics card
September 5, 2010 2:51:55 PM

Like I said earlier people can often get these cards up to 900mhz and sometimes past that. If you aren't interested in pushing things to the limit then 850mhz would probably be a reasonable goal. That is still an impressive 26% boost over the reference speed.
September 5, 2010 2:56:05 PM

Any sources on this?
September 5, 2010 4:35:17 PM

Beefed it up to about 850 and it seems to run stable. Won't bother with more than that. No need to become greedy :p 
a b U Graphics card
September 5, 2010 5:10:24 PM

I wonder if there are more temp sensors on these cards that aren't 'uncovered' yet.
I know the ATI cards often have mem temperature and the 5 series also has vrm temps, available in gpuz.
Everest , gpuz, afterburner all just show gpu temp.
September 5, 2010 8:45:06 PM

janfebmar said:
Doesnt afterburner sip into too much resources? It looks kind of resource heavy.

jyjjy said:
No it doesn't. It will also allow you to use an onscreen display for temps(among other things) during gaming. Also it is the best software for overclocking your cards which should be able to get up around 900mhz with a voltage boost of the core.

Yeah, I was gonna say.. I run task manager, speedfan, AND afterburner on another monitor ALWAYS when I'm gaming and I personally haven't noticed any decrease in performance in any of my games. However, I am sure it varies from computer to computer. If you have a slow processor or not enough RAM, I'm sure it might have some effect, great or small.

Yes, perhaps afterburner was a "dangerous" suggestion if it might tempt someone to over-clock when they don't know what they're doing. I just like to open up new doors and ideas to people so that's why I recommended it. Honestly, I know I wish I found out about that software long before I did. It's a good program.

As far as over-clocking it, I'm really sure that the card can reach up to that 900 or more like jyjjy was saying but I stopped at 850 because I was scared. I was moving it up in increments of 10 and I wasn't noticing any bad signs or temperatures. I thought it was broken because I got it that high. xD But apparently people have gone higher.

And now that we're talking about over-clocking...

REMEMBER! Every single card is different. It might vary slightly by manufacturer but not all cards have the same over-clocking capacity and you could easily end up frying your card if you think you can just set it to the same settings as you read in an over-clocking guide. You have to be very careful - it is a risky decision to over-clock.

Good luck and have fun! ^.~
!