Sign in with
Your question

GFX driver causes slow internet

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
September 5, 2010 12:25:30 PM

Everytime I install a display driver for my HD 4870 the internet slows down, it works fine in safe mode aswell. It dosen't matter which driver I install either.
Could this be a faulty GFX card? I never had problems before I installed a new CPU and mobo all though I don't know how they could cause this kind of problem but
I thought I would throw it out there.
September 5, 2010 12:36:35 PM

Interestingly, I was working on a computer and I also experienced this. It was a Vista machine and when I booted it in regular mode the internet was insanely slow and would cut out sometimes.

However when I ran it in safe mode, the internet was really fast.

Anyway, I fixed it by formatting the computer. xD
September 5, 2010 1:12:54 PM

well formatting didn't do the trick for me, even on different OS's the graphics card having a driver installed will slow internet to a crawl. It's very fast without one or in safe mode.
Related resources
September 5, 2010 8:57:28 PM

That's really odd. REALLY odd if you're on a clean install.

Just to double check, I'm pretty sure you're supposed to uninstall any previous drivers whether from a different card or the same and then plug in the card and install the driver. Also, make sure your driver is up to date. Go straight to the manufacturers website.

I can't really think of anything else at the moment. Try running your computer in safe mode to see if you get better internet speed.

I can't really think of anything that would slow down internet speed. It's usually the browser or the computers speed that I am diagnosing. Internet speed = waaaaaay beyond me, lol. I don't know the first thing of how that all works.

You also might try disabling as much as you can in msconfig - start up items. Check to see what stuff is running in the background in task manager by pulling up processes. Heck you might even try testing your internet speed with an online tester WITH and WITHOUT the driver installed just to make sure it is indeed the computer and not your ISP.

Anyway, let me know how that all works and I'll try to think of more how I can help. Keep us updated.
September 5, 2010 9:00:58 PM

Also, there is a program that I've read about that completely cleans out drivers which you might want to try before you try reinstalling the driver. That might help. Hopefully someone around here can help us out with the name on that.

Make sure everything else is up to date too. Get all your windows updates done. Check to make sure that your motherboard chip-set is also the latest version.
a c 273 U Graphics card
September 5, 2010 9:06:09 PM

w0lfattack said:
Also, there is a program that I've read about that completely cleans out drivers which you might want to try before you try reinstalling the driver. That might help. Hopefully someone around here can help us out with the name on that.

Make sure everything else is up to date too. Get all your windows updates done. Check to make sure that your motherboard chip-set is also the latest version.

Do you mean "Driver Sweeper"?
a c 273 U Graphics card
September 5, 2010 9:17:18 PM

w0lfattack said:
That's the one. :) 

Well give me a hundred bucks and I'll let you know where you can get it from.
September 5, 2010 9:23:03 PM

Mousemonkey said:
Well give me a hundred bucks and I'll let you know where you can get it from.

Best Buy? LOL

I don't know... I think Slickster34 will have to cover that fee, lol
September 5, 2010 9:42:12 PM

I've tried every driver there is, I've done a process of elimination on the services in msconfig and I've definitely installed the driver correctly. I don't see how it could be the internet if it works fine without the gfx driver.... could it be a an issue with the card? It's not heat or virus's either. I just have no clue why this is happening, I can't find any similar problems anywhere on the net. Doesn't make sense!!!
September 6, 2010 3:20:01 AM

what am i supposed to do???
a c 273 U Graphics card
September 6, 2010 3:35:50 AM

Slickster34 said:
what am i supposed to do???

If the problem only occurs when that card is in the system then RMA the card and see if the replacement cures the problem.
!