Sign in with
Your question

Huge buget what to do?

Last response: in Systems
October 24, 2010 3:41:40 PM

hello,
my friend here has all the cash and none of the brains!! this is his problemo

he has 10lakh reserved for a rig ($20k) i know its huge
hes been apprently saving it for like 6 years and living with a intel celron @0.55ghz and 256 mb of ram .....:-o
he dosent know anything and is a complete lazy head so he has trusted me with his money and asked me to build him a future-proof computer
i have a months time to get it done...
so i started my research today mornin and ended up with this:

Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD9 24GB DDR3 - USB 3.0 Intel Motherboard
Intel core i7-980X Extreme Edition Processor
4 gtx 480's in sli (he dosent want ati)
and 20 gb of ddr 3 ram and all overclocked

now for your advice and a good stylish cabinet for all this stuff
and a good psu(i think i mite need 2!)
note that the mobo is XL-ATX

can ya help

More about : huge buget

a b B Homebuilt system
October 24, 2010 3:47:31 PM

If he's been getting by with a celeron all of this time, I'm assuming that he has no legitimate need for all of this computing power. There isn't actually a way to effectively spend $20,000 on a homebuilt pc. key word: effectively. Try harder to talk some sense into him.
m
l
October 24, 2010 7:24:11 PM

He's been using a Celeron? Spend $600 well and it'll be a massive upgrade.
m
l
Related resources
a b B Homebuilt system
October 24, 2010 8:06:25 PM

These guys are right. You are barely over 2 lakhs and have already overspent. Get two GTX 480s instead of 4. Get 6GB of RAM instead of 20. Gigabyte has a list of cases that fit, but when you are spending this much there are a lot of other factors to consider.

The computer itself should cost no more than 2 lakhs alone, and that will get you an immensely powerful rig. Rather, think in terms of all the other stuff that accompany the computer.

Do you know what colors he prefers? Consider liquid cooling inside a windowed case that will show it off.

Where will your friend be putting this equipment? Does he have a large office for three huge monitors?

Think about spending a couple of lakhs on some home theater equipment.

Don't forget the furniture to go along with it - you are going to want to sit in comfort when you watch movies or play games with him.

How about a second machine to play along side of him? For less than 1 lakh, you can buy a PC that plays games almost as well as the extreme machine your friend will have.

m
l
October 24, 2010 8:39:32 PM

Buy a bunch of big monitors for an eyefinity setup.

Other than that I can't think of any reason to spend more than 2k usd on a setup.

It's impossible to future proof a computer. Spending 6k usd on a ton more ram and that intel extreme processor is only going to get you maybe a year more out of it. Better to spend like 2 grand now and 2 grand every 3 years on new stuff. You'll have a top of the line setup for 30 years.
m
l
October 24, 2010 8:43:04 PM

Other stuff you could do, think more of building an entire entertainment system, get a computer setup hooked up to a big screen led tv, add a really nice hd sound system, maybe add some network storage to save digital media etc to playback on your tv and sound system. There's a lot of cool stuff you can do with 20k that includes a computer.
m
l
October 24, 2010 8:48:03 PM

spend it all on beer!!!!
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
October 25, 2010 1:00:46 AM

+1 to ms5555. Don't forget the captains chairs, popcorn machine and fridge for all of exhail's beer.

Hey, can we come over and party with you guys?
m
l
October 25, 2010 10:49:46 AM

firstly i told him that the computer even with his buget cant be futureproofed so easily but hes stubborn and i like the idea of a Hd monitor i had it b4 i have decided to go in with this:
=>blue ray -drives:- Pioneer 12x Blu-ray Writer (BDR-205BK) X 3
=>cpu:-Intel core i7-980X Extreme Edition Processor
=>mobo:- Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD9 24GB DDR3 - USB 3.0 Intel Motherboard
=>hdd:- Corsair Performance Series 256GB SATA II
Internal Solid State Drive (CMFSSD-256GBG2D) X 5
=>ram:- Corsair Dominator 12GB (3 x 4GB) DDR3 1600MHz
Desktop Memory
=>graphic cards:-EVGA GeForce GTX480 1536MB GDDR5
NVidia PCI E Graphic Cards X 4
=>psu:-Silverstone 1500W Power Supply (i thnk i might need two of these)

=>mouse:-Razer Mamba Elite Ergonomical Wireless
Gaming Mouse - 5600 Dpi
=>mouse pad-razer golaithus
=>keyboard:-Razer Lycosa Backlit Gaming Keyboard
=coolers:-
cpu:-Corsair Hydro Series H70 CPU Cooler
gpu:-Thermalright VGA Heat Sink (T-Rad2 GTX)
cpu:-Intel core i7-980X Extreme Edition Processor
cabinet:-yet to be decided
=>soundcard:-Asus Xonar D2X 7.1 Sound Card
=>speaker:-Creative Gigaworks 750 7.1 Speaker
=>monitor:-Alienware OptX 23inch 3D Full HD Widescreen Monitor

and im left over with 6000 dollers and have dedicated 1000 dollers for the furniture
reminder of 5000 dollers 4000 aside for future upgrades
and am leftover with 1000 dollers and if u ppl read my question correctly u shld have noticed:-HE DOSENT WANT ATI
and he said 1 monitor is enough for him and he dosent drink hes a hardcore gamer and he plays about at my home or at a gaming centre!
@elroic im in india if u can come ovr here y not!
and guyz all i need is a cabinet for all this stuff!! and yes he wants it show-offy
and is there a better monitor for this stuff with 3-d capabilities
m
l
Anonymous
October 25, 2010 12:26:44 PM

Your friend is no hard-core gamer!!

Any Hard-core gamer will build their own system, know exactly what hardware is needed for current games, and wouldn't have spent the last five years with a Celeron..

Tell your friend to go to your local PC superstore, dump down a grand for a new "Gaming PC" and donate the rest to the loads of poor starving children in India!!

He wont even notice the difference between this and spending $20k on a new PC, because he is no Gamer!
m
l
October 25, 2010 12:35:00 PM

I'm crying inside at reading this post.

Just click on the High End gaming build sticky thread at top - buy one of those setups with dual video cards and add an SSD and a 2TB drive for storage.

Call the rest your set up fee - and buy you one too.

FOUR SLI'd video cards for a non-gamer?!??!?!?!?!!????
m
l
October 25, 2010 12:46:44 PM

I'd agree with ms5555, this rig might last for a while, but since the power he seem to need equals to a celeror, I'd rather keep saving money and just lay down about 1-1,5k dollars on a basis every 3 year to maintain a high-tec PC for atleast 30years, assuming the prices lay reasonable all the way out. Whatever you build today will without a doubt be outdated sooner or later, and therefore a 10lakh might be considered wasted.

Also, I really can´t figure out what his main acticity will be during the sessions he´d be using such a killer machine. As a gamer, a 2-3k usd would be far more than requires to max out the most power eating games on the market, surely.

Although, if you´d pick up a cheaper one, I´d suggest still picking up reliable and good hardware components. Still if you´d pay a thousand dollars, you still want to be able to use it at max the time it´s in operation!
m
l
October 25, 2010 1:36:13 PM

This really does just hurt to read. He clearly has no need for an expensive computer if he's been "getting by" for the last 5 years on such a terrible setup. Does he even work for that money? How could he honestly justify spending that much for something he clearly has never needed?
m
l
October 25, 2010 4:34:26 PM

@angryfetus pls read the previous post of mine and that guy is a totl idchead just plays nvr cares as long as the game works hav quite a few frndz like tat and wen r dx 12 cards gonna relese?
m
l
October 25, 2010 4:37:20 PM

some of the games he plays ovr at my house durin hs free tyme:
metro 2033
crysis
assasins creed brotherhood
now u guyz get it and hes been livin wit tat celron just coz he wantd to save up for this..
m
l
October 25, 2010 4:46:12 PM

tju2an said:
I'd agree with ms5555, this rig might last for a while, but since the power he seem to need equals to a celeror, I'd rather keep saving money and just lay down about 1-1,5k dollars on a basis every 3 year to maintain a high-tec PC for atleast 30years, assuming the prices lay reasonable all the way out. Whatever you build today will without a doubt be outdated sooner or later, and therefore a 10lakh might be considered wasted.

Also, I really can´t figure out what his main acticity will be during the sessions he´d be using such a killer machine. As a gamer, a 2-3k usd would be far more than requires to max out the most power eating games on the market, surely.

Although, if you´d pick up a cheaper one, I´d suggest still picking up reliable and good hardware components. Still if you´d pay a thousand dollars, you still want to be able to use it at max the time it´s in operation!

i think his salary should be enough for maintaing that machine durin operation i suggetstd the ati eyefinety setup but he just hates ati for sum **d up reason ... does nvdiea have nythin equvilent to eyefinty??
and he does make regular contributions to charity hes actually kinda rich in indian terms though he saves up a lot mes some what like save nd then let it all out at one go kind.. and guyz pl get my problem all i need is a stylish lukin xl-atx cabinet!!!
m
l
October 25, 2010 9:23:47 PM

From which site are you planning to order your parts from?
And concerning an equivalent setup to the eyefinity for nVidia based rigs is currently nothing I know whether it's possible or not.

You should tell him that the latest 6xxx ATI series really do dominate when it comes to performance. You should check it out!
m
l
October 26, 2010 11:12:30 AM

tju2an said:
From which site are you planning to order your parts from?
And concerning an equivalent setup to the eyefinity for nVidia based rigs is currently nothing I know whether it's possible or not.

You should tell him that the latest 6xxx ATI series really do dominate when it comes to performance. You should check it out!

then in that case what is nvideas response to ati's 6 series? and i heard nvidea also has greater geometry processing power over ati makes stuff look real? is that true? and what is nview?
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
October 26, 2010 3:29:40 PM

The Radeon 6870 and 6850 aren't faster than their 5-series counterparts (in fact, the 6870 is slower than the 5870). I wouldn't include those in a $20,000 build. The 69xx cards should be out soon. Those are the high performance cards.
m
l
October 27, 2010 11:26:04 AM

mortonww said:
The Radeon 6870 and 6850 aren't faster than their 5-series counterparts (in fact, the 6870 is slower than the 5870). I wouldn't include those in a $20,000 build. The 69xx cards should be out soon. Those are the high performance cards.

y does everyone think about ATI and not nvidea?
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
October 27, 2010 2:46:06 PM

This one's only $14k though.. Spend the $6k on a 65" HDTV?
http://www.guru3d.com/article/guru3d-rig-of-the-month-s...

Or build him an $18k PC and a $2k one for yourself.

On a serious note, there is no way to guarantee futureproofing. You're better off building a $2k PC every 3-4 years and have the most up to date PC for next 30-40 years than to build a $20k PC now and have it become obsolete in 6 years.

And WTF dude! All that and a 23" monitor?? At the least get a 40" or something nice.

And everyone else.. I think he's saying his friend gave him a $20k budget on a computer that he will leave at vada's house. (So it's pretty much vada's PC. I can now understand why he's splurging so much) Maybe? I wish I had rich friends..
m
l
October 28, 2010 10:49:24 AM

nah hes not leavin it at my house nd im hapy he didnt (not to mention the electricity bill lol) that pc is good it ansewrd many of ma questions and is a core 17-extreme overclocked as good as 2 xenons?? m not sure on that issue and i dont think and is the EVGA SR-2 Classified HPTX Motherboard ddr3?
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
October 28, 2010 7:35:57 PM

Xeon and i7 are pretty much the same chip. The difference is Xeons were designed speficically for multi CPU interface.

Yes the board is DDR3.
m
l
October 30, 2010 6:34:31 AM

thx a lot ppl i think i need to plan better but im sticking with the 4 gtx480's for now will update u!
m
l
October 30, 2010 6:48:40 AM

I Think what some people have mentioned makes the most sense, if you MUST blow all this dough, buy non-CPU stuff, buy a leather reclining computer massage chair, a HUGE like 65 inch widescreen HD tv for a monitor, a bumping surround sound system, a couple of 27 inch monitors as extra screens. Buy a keyboard or something for him to have fun playing around with, all kinds of game controllers, etc.

THen try to talk him into saving like 2-4 K of that ridiculous stash and telling him you'll update it all in 2 years. You'll be able to buy a whole new rig.

But yeah, make sure to buy all that other stuff, chairs, desks, monitors, speakers, whatever he can think of!

If I had unlimited funds, this is what I would do.
m
l
October 30, 2010 6:53:52 AM

well yes i had that idea aldready have put away 500 for that and decided to go with a 40" samsung led full hd 3d ready monitor(well itz actually a tv)
m
l
a c 91 B Homebuilt system
October 30, 2010 8:36:30 AM

Let me just say, I was so angry when I saw the build he wanted you to build.

1st. He's not building himself.
2nd. With that budget and no water-cooling
3rd. Stupidest budget ever.

-_- You should wait on the 69xx series. That is supposed to beat out the 480 GTX and with the scaling from the 6850 and 6870 I'd expect better scaling with the 69xx so the Quad Crossfire performance of the 69xx should be unstoppable. So don't build it yet....

Also, no one talks about Nvidia, because Nvidia has got nothing to retaliate the 6xxx series launch except with a 580 which is not releasing till February.

Finally, Your friend is stupid, if he waited this long, he might as well update himself with computer news. SB is coming out in a year. Why buy a chip that only is going to be beat out by the SB i5 in one year? And the i5 SB is only a 200$ chip, or at least Intel speculates it'll be 200$.
m
l
October 31, 2010 2:11:24 PM

well firstly i do have water cooling and my hobby is building comps and what is the perf of i7 extreme vs i5 sb? and i am gin on with 2 gtx 480s and then am setting apart the rest for future upgrades
m
l
October 31, 2010 5:34:04 PM

Why 480s? They suck so much power... It should be reasonable to at least wait for the 69xx and see if they actually do follow AMD's charts. They are expected to beat the 480 by 20%.

Also, here's an idea of i5 SB vs i7 Extreme: http://www.anandtech.com/show/3871/the-sandy-bridge-pre...
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
October 31, 2010 5:41:57 PM

Buy Greece.
m
l
October 31, 2010 5:55:20 PM

^ AHAHA I get whatchu mean by that.
m
l