Sign in with
Your question

I want to upgrade to a video card in a Dell e520.

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
September 5, 2010 12:47:06 PM

Someone recently gave me an old Dell e520. I want to upgrade to a video card, but I don't know what's compatible with it. I really wanted to put one of the new GTX 460 cards in it, but I don't know if that's possible. I did a little research and I actually found the mobo model, but I can't find the specs anywhere. It's a Dell WG864/OWG864. Any help would be greatly appreciated. :D 
a c 235 U Graphics card
September 5, 2010 1:56:20 PM

any video card you place into that PC will need to be single slot. It's a BTX mobo so the card will go in fan side up rather then fan side down for ATX mobos. If you want, you can cut away some metal on the back to make room for a dual slot card. You also have a 305w PSU which limits your options for video cards. For a card like a GTX 460 (assuming you cut away your case) you would need a PSU upgrade. Just about any ATX 500w or smaller PSU will fit in there.

Frankly I would just get an ATI 5670 512mb or Nvidia GT 240 512 mb DDR5 card. The ATI card is slightly better but either will work fine at 1440x900 resolution for modern games.
m
l
!