Builing a new PC can't decide please advice

Mrsh4dy

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2011
Hi guys,

I'm in the process of rebuilding my rig to make it up to specs for at least a little while but am in a bit of a clinch.

My current specs:

Asrock x38 turbotwins (775)
Intel core2duo E7300 (2.66ghz)
6gig of OCZ Platinum 1600mhz cl6 (just added this)
Ati Radeon 4850 club3d
Creative X-fi titanium
2 harddrives (1terabyte and 1 640gig both samsung)
power supply ZM500-HP (500watt duh)

My initial plan was to upgrade to a 1366 core i7 950 but when I went researching I found out about the new 1155 socket. I figured they would probably release a follow up to the 1366 as well (which they will in a year or so).

My supposed new system spec:

MB: Asrock X58 Extreme6
Processor: Intel Core I7 950
Memory: OCZ Platinum 1600mhz cl6 6gig
Graphics: Amd Radeon 6950 (club3d)
Sound: Creative X-fi Titanium
HDD: 1 SSD Vertex 2 60gig and my samsungs (1tb and 640gb)
Power supply: Antec High Current Gamer HCG-750

So yeah it's more like a completely new system :p

So I revised my plan to take this new development into consideration and tried to look for other possibilities.
I could choose to buy a new overpriced already obsolete q9550 or a core i5 both of which seemed like a waste of money as well (the core i5 way (new mobo and all) would be just as expensive for maybe less power).

I also looked at amd which has dirt cheap processors and I could use the cash I save for my real system upgrade later on (I would be buying an ASRock 870 Extreme3 and AMD Phenom II X4 965 to be precise).
However going this route I spend about 220euros for something that's replaced within a year (still cheaper than the q9550 route :heink: )

My problem lies in which cpu way to go, though any advice on other components is also appreciated.
I hope anyone can help me with this.
Anyway thanks for reading.

Greetz

If you're a gamer you can get the Phenom II 955 -> more money for a good video card. It doesn't matter if it's replaced or not, Intel's 1156 socket was replaced after only 1.5 years. You can also go for the 1155 socket (i5 2500K) from Intel if you have enough money for the rest. If you get the Phenom, it will work on AMD's next socket, AM3+. If you do some other stuff like heavy video editing get the Intel.

Mrsh4dy

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2011
Thanks for the reply.
My reason for not going with the new i5 is because it is new with a different chipset and it's high price. It's about as expensive as the i7 (1366) but without some of it's features meaning it could just be a watered down version of what is yet to come.
Keeping this in mind I would be willing to wait.
However I do want to upgrade my machine since it is in dire need of one.
Thus my question is should I wait (go with a cheap amd machine) or should I just invest in what is now the best thing?

Amd seems like a good solution yet I feel like intel has the most to offer in terms of high end for now and in the future, but it would be perfect for a year or so.

Mrsh4dy

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2011
You convinced me to go for the new king. However what would be smart going 2600K or 2500K? I know the difference between the two yet I fail to see the best possible way to go with the 2600K being as fast as it is but costing 100bucks more, is it really worth that extra cash?
Thanks for the help so far.

Yeah, unless you need the hyperthreading for specific apps the 2500 would be more than enough. If you plan on overclocking get the K version, but the regular 2500 still kicks ass at stock speeds.

You've already got the sweet-spot RAM for the Sandy Bridge chips -- anything faster than 1600 doesn't really improve performance much. You say you have 6GB of that RAM ... is that 3x 2GB sticks or 2x 2GB and 2x 1GB sticks?

Mrsh4dy

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2011
3x 2gb sticks (6gb ocz platinum 1600mhz set)

Hmmm oke didn't think the 2500K would be that fast.
Good way to save 100bucks thanks alot guys.

Pick up another OCZ stick of the same type size and timings, otherwise with three sticks you'll just run in single-channel. 8GB is the sweet spot for gaming and the usual multitasking nowadays anyway.

Mrsh4dy

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2011
Doesn't seem to exist add to that it's also a triple channel kit. I doubt with cls6 I notice that much difference between dual en single channel and if I do I'll be sure to order a brand spanking new ddr3 dual channel kit.

Just put in my order and hopefully it should arrive within the next 2 weeks (2500K are really rare and would otherwise costs me 40bucks extra so i'll wait).

total cost 700euro's (MB, CPU, GFX, SSD) seems like a relatively good deal to me

Thanks again guys for the help.

TRENDING THREADS