Sign in with
Your question

New Build, was working, now no video, likely no boot

Last response: in Systems
October 22, 2010 2:01:50 AM

Kid was part of a build-a-PC project at school. All new components. Teacher passed his PC yesterday (successfully loaded Win 7 Pro), and he brought it home. Today hooked it up to digital monitor, nothing...Sony HDTV, nothing...finally old CRT, nothing. Followed board maker's unbuild/rebuild instructions (basically take out peripherals, verify CPU cooler, then add video card and power up),,,nothing. Nothing means: fans whirring, PSU fan working, warning LEDs working, Power On button working...but not Power Off, and not Reset). Looking for ideas before I send it back to the school lab. Components: I7 950 on Gigabyte X58A-UD3R, GeForce GTX460, Cisco Wireless, 22x DVD, XFX 750W PSU, Corsair H50 cooler, 3x2GB OCZ DDR3 all in a HAF-X case.
October 22, 2010 2:05:06 AM

Should add: no boot means there are none of the normal boot sounds/activities when power is turned on. The board appears to lack a beeper, or there are no beeps. I also cruised through the sticky on what to go do first...I did not go all the way to removing the board to see if there was a short, but there is not smell, and it was working yesterday.
m
l
October 22, 2010 11:47:27 PM

Pulled parts and did a board build today. No luck. Swapped each of 3 sticks of RAM individually into 1 and 3, no impact. Reading about problems with the mobo. Will get a speaker tomorrow to see if any codes are presented.
m
l
Related resources
October 24, 2010 12:47:26 AM

No beeps.
m
l
October 24, 2010 6:16:38 PM

This topic has been moved from the section CPU & Components to section Systems by Mousemonkey
m
l
!