Lost all files in My Documents when Administrator password..

Does anyone know why all files in My Docs would be removed when the Admin
password is removed? When I try to open the folder I get an error message.
and placing the mouse on the folder shows 0 files.

Is there anyway to get the files back? The drive has been changed to a
secondary hard drive on the PC so nothing is getting added or removed.
2 answers Last reply
More about lost files documents administrator password

    phanika wrote:
    > Does anyone know why all files in My Docs would be removed
    > when the Admin password is removed? When I try to open the
    > folder I get an error message. and placing the mouse on the
    > folder shows 0 files.
    >
    > Is there anyway to get the files back? The drive has been
    > changed to a secondary hard drive on the PC so nothing is
    > getting added or removed.

    Were any of these files encrypted using XP's EFS? If not, you
    might want to try taking ownership of the files. Take a look
    here for the procedure:

    "Access is Denied" Error Message When You Try to Open a Folder
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;810881

    Good luck

    Nepatsfan
  2. Hi,

    Well, if the files were deleted then you can still restore them with data recovery tools, such as Active@ Undelete or Uneraser(DOS). They works really great so that is your chance.

    http://www.active-undelete.com/
    http://www.uneraser.com/

    If you can not access you account in case the password was changed then Password Changer tool might help, it can reset password.
    http://www.password-changer.com/

Configuration My Documents Windows XP