otepvashj

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2007
Will AMD ever step up?

My friends *still* say that AMD is the way to go for gaming, but even Intel's i5/i7 CPUs are just destroying AMD. The friends say AMD is better at processing gaming code or something... but I haven't seen it.

g00fysmiley

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2010
sounds like you're friend is what we on the internet call a "fanboy"

fanboys do not listen to logic, they do not listen to reason, they simply want to accost you with cherry picked benchmarks of random stuff proving thier point even if its an old bench or an undeven system ie the top amd cpu against a old core duo

both make good cpu's atm amd is behind in performance and losing in all but the lowest pricepoint now that SB is out, i like both and will use what is best in my pricepoint when i build, i have an amd athlonII x4 because it was combo dealed with a good mobo for 130 so that was hard to beat... but i'm probbalt putting in a intel 2600k in my wife's new computer as Sbreally is owning... however i have high hopes for bulldozer and might be doign a new build toward the end of the year and until those benchmarks are out i have no clue which will be better at that time

kinth

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2011
its all about price/performance. intel have the market on enthusiast cpu's
but when it comes down to actually noticable differences and not scoresheets an amd will do you fine in gaming

you don't need 400fps in a game 60fps is more than enough. for gaming an amd will do fine but when you go to encoding/decoding well that's a different story.

as far as i know amd's are no better at processing code. the main reason amd survive is they offer top end products for bargain prices. and with that spare money you can buy a better GPU which when it comes to gaming is what really counts.

now if i only had the money to update my own ancient gpu... :(

otepvashj

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2007

Lol, I wouldn't say "fanboy".

All my friends own AMD. Our computers at work are all AMD. They all SUCK. They're slow. Slower than my ancient E8400, stock clock.

Bulldozer is going to be like Phenom. Mark my words.

kinth

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2011

if you own a part your more likely to defend it to justify your own purchase. my AMD does me fine. your work computers being slow could be down to any number of things ive seen intel systems running slow that doesn't mean its intels fault. plus the cpu's in your work pc's could be ancient. in actual noticable differences there really isnt much between them until you get to stuff like encoding and decoding.

for gaming most amd quads and intel quads are overkill for the games of today. if you can afford an intel get one by all means but if you cant theres nothign wrong with amd's.

kinth

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2011
as for the bulldozer all we cad do is speculate it wasn't too long ago nvidia where the king of all gpu's and now most people would opt for a radeon. im even thinking of getting a radeon and i used to hate the bloody things due to a bad experience with my first ever discreet gpu :p

g00fysmiley

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2010

work computers are usually the lowest bidder... my work uses intel's and they are slow as can be... but they are pentium 4's... also they have so much security software they cna barely run that let aloen allow us to do real work on there... (i'm actually typing on it now :D)

as for bulldozer being liek phenom who knows... not i, have yet to see the silicone or benchies, if they are good, then awsome, if they don't catch intel but they fall into price/performance again then thats also cool. really i'm gonna spend my money to get the most performance for a reasonable price, right now thats sandy bridge, if bulldozer flops it might by ivy bridge by the time i build... but i hope amd does get somethign good out, cause there needs to be competition, and lord knows the 3rd x86 lic is being wasted at via ... nobody wants to see that, even the most har dheaded intel fanboy knows amd is good for the market

otepvashj

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2007
My work computers are AMD 8400B Tri-core processors w/ 2gb ram. Granted, not much.. but for MS Office, internet and basic stuff... it's ridiculous how slow these computers are.

otepvashj

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2007
I'm talking about 10+ seconds to load any MS office application or explorer. I am the only user of the computer and it was just re-imaged a week and a half ago. It's HDD is clean and it's still ridiculous.

That's not really a factor of CPU speed. App loading times are much more strongly influenced by hard drive speed.

sseyler

Distinguished
May 14, 2008

You've already heard it before: work computers are going to be slow for numerous reasons. The hard drive on your work computer I'm sure is garbage. Stick in an SSD or even a decent 7200rpm drive, take off some of the security crap and bloatware on your office computer, and that triple core AMD will do just fine.

Sounds like YOU yourself are a fanboy. :lol:

otepvashj

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2007
I cannot modify my work computer at all, and even if I could, that spells major trouble for me. But, the work computer aside, my buddies computers (all of which are still AMD) are all inferior to even my setup even being almost 2 1/2 years old.

AMD is garbage, just accept it.

Sorry, but that's not really true.

AMD makes several decent CPUs. Right now, there isn't that much of a reason to buy them except in the budget segment (because of Sandy), but they've made a compelling case in the <$250 segment for some time now, and so far, I have to say that Bulldozer is looking promising. Obviously, we'll have to wait for some benchmarks to see, but I think Bulldozer will be quite nice. Also, if you have a 2 and a half year old Intel CPU, then any of the >3.2Ghz PhII quads should be at least as fast as your setup, and the hexes should be faster than your setup. It's true that Intel rules the high end (and even the midrange now that Sandy is out), but that doesn't make AMD garbage.

(Oh, and I'm genuinely looking forward to seeing what Bulldozer brings to the table. It should be quite interesting, and I hope it does really well)

yyk71200

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2010

Lol, I have core2 duo laptop (HP brand) with XP home, and Athlon II x4 desktop (Homebuild brand) with 7 Home Premium 64. I don't know, maybe it is HP OS image, but my laptop is sluggish. Ended up using mostly Linux on it, feels much faster. My Athlon desktop runs circles around it in both responsiveness and CPU intensive tasks (on XP, Linux feels similar in responsiveness to desktop). And this is the original Win 7 install, like a year old. Desktop could be even better in responsiveness if my WD drive wasn't Green.

Not so long ago it was AMD on top of the world with their Athlon FX CPUs. Anyway, I'm sure bulldozer will change things. They are still good sub $200 options with the X6 CPUs really good for heavily threaded tasks rather than gaming. AMD is the way to go on a budget, but if you can afford to spend more on a LGA 1155 or 1366 setup then do it.