AMD or Nvidia?

G

Hello,
is it true that nvidia declare that the GEforce graphic cards especially the 400 series are better in texture editing for example nature is more beautiful by gtx 470 than hd5870?

As far as i am aware the only thing that Nvidia 4 series cards do better than ATI cards is tessellation which is a new DX11 feature which has yet to become a real factor as far as gaming is concerned.
For pure picture quality there is no difference. Either card can be calibrated to match the other given some time and tweaking. The default settings are different and its subjective as to which you prefer.

Mactronix

Timop

Distinguished
Nvidia as well as AMD "declares" many things for the sake of besting the competition, but little of them are true.

Actual image quality wise, the difference is very minuscule, if not unnoticeable by the human eye..

acdcninja

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2010
yep like they said, its just brand preference, i prefer nvidia's 400 series, i actually nearly bought a hd 5850 but then nvidia's 400 series came out and i changed my mind. there really isnt much difference between the two (except when it comes to heavy tessellation) my dad has a hd 5770 which i bought for him for farthers day, and its awesome considering the low power requirments and how cool it runs. in the end theres hardly any difference , and im sure youl be happy which ever way you go

Glacier

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2004
Well, I'm glad this hasn't turned into a fanboy contest. Both ATI and Nvidia have good DX11 cards. My only problem with the 400 series is the heat, and the high power use. I went with the HD 5850 because it was the best card I could afford. So far it has served me well.

chinuhark

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2010
Go NVIDIA. Mafia II and Batman AA(and many more) are just not the same without PHYSX. Considering Physx, one can easily say that the graphics and feel of the game is much better in Nvidia(in these particular titles).

chinuhark

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2010
We all agree that both are the same. this just tips the scale slightly in Nvidia's side. and there would be many more Physx titles in the future. and lastly, we all know there isn't a better card than GTX460 at the moment(Price,Performance,Temp,Power consumption)

chinuhark

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2010

5850 was the best at that time. But at this time GTX460 is clearly the winner and easily beats 5850 when OC'ed. It is much cheaper than 5850 and doesn't even have the problems of power and heat.

Timop

Distinguished

The 460 is definitely a good card, but its unfair to say it beats the 5850 as you can OC the 5850 past the 5870 level.
For the price now, the 5850 isn't a bad buy for a single card. Theres a MSI Twin Frozr one on newegg for $240AR.

Timop

Distinguished
That what you ATI fanboys are best at doing.Stealing nvidia technology.People like u should be send to jail.Ati thinks physx is not worth it but there consumers want physx by any means.
I AM NO FANBOY CURRENTLY OWNING 5850 BUT I AM DEAD AGAINST PPL WHO BUY ATI PRODUCT THEN STEAL PHYSX FROM NVIDIA.
What did I steal? I bought an Nvidia card to use NVIDIA's PHYSX.

(BTW, Nice assumption of fanboism, I own a 8600GT and soon to be GTS450 thank you very much.)

Timop

Distinguished
Nvidia is yet to make physx mod illegal.So it is legal now.Anyway it is unofficial and stealing in my view.There is no need to add any physx card with a fast Ati card just for some games.
Mhm. Games mods are unofficial too..

All I'm saying is its possible to use PhysX even if you have a ATI card, so it shouldn't be the deciding factor between the 2 brands.

Though I'm questioning how will they make it illegal, the "Youre not letting Nvidia make enough money by using AMD cards" law? :pt1cable:

Timop

Distinguished
No people who buy Ati card should live with what Ati gives them with that card.Using a physx card is stealing from nvidia.They worked hard on physx so only nvidia buyer should enjoy it.I think its about time nvidia makes it illegal like piracy.
Arent I an Nvidia buyer too if i buy a Nvidia card for PhysX? Im just complementing it with an ATI card. Mhmm.

klsdivan

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2008
Lol, if you pay for the Nvidia hardware then why should you not use that hardware?

Physx was originally released in a standalone card by Ageia, to be used to assist the Main gpu in Physics, Nvidia then wrote into their drivers (after buying Ageia) to allow it to be used with another card (after they added it to their cards) and nowhere did it say that it is not to be used in conjunction with another card in its terms and conditions. They then blocked a feature that was never covered in their original terms.

I can tell you if Microsoft did something like that then they would be in front of the competitions commision

No people who buy Ati card should live with what Ati gives them with that card.Using a physx card is stealing from nvidia.They worked hard on physx so only nvidia buyer should enjoy it.I think its about time nvidia makes it illegal like piracy.

And thus the flaw in your thinking - In order to use a secondary card for Physx you have to BUY an NVIDIA card thus it cannot be considered stealing or be illegal - in reality I would be more inclined to say Nvidia is trying to steal from users by disabling the ability to use the card if it is installed with an ATI card in the same system (After all you have purchased the card and are entitled to use it) To me this is the same as say an AMD chipset mobo being changed through a BIOS update to not be able to use any Nvidia GPU in it's PCI-e slot simply because it was made by Nvidia and not AMD. (OR do you consider using an Nvidia GPU in an ATI\AMD based MOBO stealing from AMD as well ??