• Nvidia
  • Graphics
  • Product
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
September 5, 2010 6:27:53 PM

Hello,
is it true that nvidia declare that the GEforce graphic cards especially the 400 series are better in texture editing for example nature is more beautiful by gtx 470 than hd5870?

More about : amd nvidia

a c 130 U Graphics card
a b Î Nvidia
September 5, 2010 7:15:22 PM

As far as i am aware the only thing that Nvidia 4 series cards do better than ATI cards is tessellation which is a new DX11 feature which has yet to become a real factor as far as gaming is concerned.
For pure picture quality there is no difference. Either card can be calibrated to match the other given some time and tweaking. The default settings are different and its subjective as to which you prefer.

Mactronix
m
l
a b U Graphics card
a b Î Nvidia
September 5, 2010 7:20:42 PM

Nvidia as well as AMD "declares" many things for the sake of besting the competition, but little of them are true.

Actual image quality wise, the difference is very minuscule, if not unnoticeable by the human eye..
m
l
Related resources
September 6, 2010 1:19:52 AM

yep like they said, its just brand preference, i prefer nvidia's 400 series, i actually nearly bought a hd 5850 but then nvidia's 400 series came out and i changed my mind. there really isnt much difference between the two (except when it comes to heavy tessellation) my dad has a hd 5770 which i bought for him for farthers day, and its awesome considering the low power requirments and how cool it runs. in the end theres hardly any difference , and im sure youl be happy which ever way you go
m
l
September 6, 2010 3:07:08 AM

Well, I'm glad this hasn't turned into a fanboy contest. Both ATI and Nvidia have good DX11 cards. My only problem with the 400 series is the heat, and the high power use. I went with the HD 5850 because it was the best card I could afford. So far it has served me well.
m
l
September 6, 2010 3:47:19 AM

Go NVIDIA. Mafia II and Batman AA(and many more) are just not the same without PHYSX. Considering Physx, one can easily say that the graphics and feel of the game is much better in Nvidia(in these particular titles).
m
l
a b U Graphics card
a b Î Nvidia
September 6, 2010 3:51:54 AM

^Getting a GPU based on 2 games isn't rational, beside you can always hack PhysX with ATI cards.
m
l
September 6, 2010 4:00:39 AM

We all agree that both are the same. this just tips the scale slightly in Nvidia's side. and there would be many more Physx titles in the future. and lastly, we all know there isn't a better card than GTX460 at the moment(Price,Performance,Temp,Power consumption)
m
l
a b U Graphics card
a b Î Nvidia
September 6, 2010 4:02:57 AM

Depends on the prices really, a $150 5830 is still a good buy.
GTX460 is a good card, but only if its in his price range and suits his needs.
m
l
September 6, 2010 4:08:11 AM

He's talking about 470 and 5870.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
a b Î Nvidia
September 6, 2010 4:10:29 AM

chinuhark said:
He's talking about 470 and 5870.

Your were referencing the GTX460, so I used the 5830 as an example.

The 470 isn't really pitted against the 5870 but more the 5850s though.
m
l
September 6, 2010 4:20:53 AM

Glacier said:
Well, I'm glad this hasn't turned into a fanboy contest. Both ATI and Nvidia have good DX11 cards. My only problem with the 400 series is the heat, and the high power use. I went with the HD 5850 because it was the best card I could afford. So far it has served me well.

5850 was the best at that time. But at this time GTX460 is clearly the winner and easily beats 5850 when OC'ed. It is much cheaper than 5850 and doesn't even have the problems of power and heat.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
a b Î Nvidia
September 6, 2010 4:24:47 AM

chinuhark said:
5850 was the best at that time. But at this time GTX460 is clearly the winner and easily beats 5850 when OC'ed. It is much cheaper than 5850 and doesn't even have the problems of power and heat.

The 460 is definitely a good card, but its unfair to say it beats the 5850 as you can OC the 5850 past the 5870 level.
For the price now, the 5850 isn't a bad buy for a single card. Theres a MSI Twin Frozr one on newegg for $240AR.
m
l
September 6, 2010 4:32:43 AM

This Discussion could go on forever. Lets see what he decides.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
a b Î Nvidia
September 6, 2010 2:50:04 PM

Quote:
That what you ATI fanboys are best at doing.Stealing nvidia technology.People like u should be send to jail.Ati thinks physx is not worth it but there consumers want physx by any means.
I AM NO FANBOY CURRENTLY OWNING 5850 BUT I AM DEAD AGAINST PPL WHO BUY ATI PRODUCT THEN STEAL PHYSX FROM NVIDIA.

What did I steal? I bought an Nvidia card to use NVIDIA's PHYSX.

(BTW, Nice assumption of fanboism, I own a 8600GT and soon to be GTS450 thank you very much.)
m
l
a b U Graphics card
a b Î Nvidia
September 6, 2010 3:17:34 PM

Quote:
@timop Then donot recommend people to use Ati as main gpu and nvidia as physx ppu.Supporting an official mod is also a crime.

Where?

I said you could, not you have to. It was Nvidia themselves who "enabled" this in their drivers.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
a b Î Nvidia
September 6, 2010 3:25:48 PM

Quote:
That was enabled by accident.Now it is disabled and unofficial.So using physx mod is illegal.

Then if I may ask, which law did it break?
m
l
a b U Graphics card
a b Î Nvidia
September 6, 2010 3:33:39 PM

Quote:
Nvidia is yet to make physx mod illegal.So it is legal now.Anyway it is unofficial and stealing in my view.There is no need to add any physx card with a fast Ati card just for some games.

Mhm. Games mods are unofficial too..

All I'm saying is its possible to use PhysX even if you have a ATI card, so it shouldn't be the deciding factor between the 2 brands.

Though I'm questioning how will they make it illegal, the "Youre not letting Nvidia make enough money by using AMD cards" law? :pt1cable: 
m
l
a b U Graphics card
a b Î Nvidia
September 6, 2010 3:46:04 PM

Quote:
No people who buy Ati card should live with what Ati gives them with that card.Using a physx card is stealing from nvidia.They worked hard on physx so only nvidia buyer should enjoy it.I think its about time nvidia makes it illegal like piracy.

Arent I an Nvidia buyer too if i buy a Nvidia card for PhysX? Im just complementing it with an ATI card. Mhmm.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
a b Î Nvidia
September 6, 2010 3:53:48 PM

Quote:
Nvidia card are meant to be used as primary gpu.Not secondary with Ati.Both Ati and nvidia produce great card and there product are meant to be used as primary gpu not secondary.Ati is still the best.

If you say so.

:pt1cable: 
m
l
September 6, 2010 4:33:19 PM

Lol, if you pay for the Nvidia hardware then why should you not use that hardware?

Physx was originally released in a standalone card by Ageia, to be used to assist the Main gpu in Physics, Nvidia then wrote into their drivers (after buying Ageia) to allow it to be used with another card (after they added it to their cards) and nowhere did it say that it is not to be used in conjunction with another card in its terms and conditions. They then blocked a feature that was never covered in their original terms.

I can tell you if Microsoft did something like that then they would be in front of the competitions commision
m
l
a b U Graphics card
September 6, 2010 5:14:51 PM

Quote:
No people who buy Ati card should live with what Ati gives them with that card.Using a physx card is stealing from nvidia.They worked hard on physx so only nvidia buyer should enjoy it.I think its about time nvidia makes it illegal like piracy.

And thus the flaw in your thinking - In order to use a secondary card for Physx you have to BUY an NVIDIA card thus it cannot be considered stealing or be illegal - in reality I would be more inclined to say Nvidia is trying to steal from users by disabling the ability to use the card if it is installed with an ATI card in the same system (After all you have purchased the card and are entitled to use it) To me this is the same as say an AMD chipset mobo being changed through a BIOS update to not be able to use any Nvidia GPU in it's PCI-e slot simply because it was made by Nvidia and not AMD. (OR do you consider using an Nvidia GPU in an ATI\AMD based MOBO stealing from AMD as well ??
m
l
a c 1429 U Graphics card
a c 372 À AMD
a c 165 Î Nvidia
September 6, 2010 5:18:55 PM

LOL
m
l
a b U Graphics card
September 6, 2010 7:50:43 PM

Congratulations to the OP Troll who got a satisfying thread out of a worthless question.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
September 6, 2010 8:05:41 PM

Quote:

So if you bought a 9500GT for PhysX but already have a 5770, then using the 9500GT for PhysX is stealing because there's 1 AMD card in your system?
:ouch: 
m
l
a c 274 U Graphics card
a b À AMD
a c 173 Î Nvidia
September 6, 2010 8:18:40 PM

Quote:
Hello,
is it true that nvidia declare that the GEforce graphic cards especially the 400 series are better in texture editing for example nature is more beautiful by gtx 470 than hd5870?

If the software you are using for editing is CUDA based then Nvidia cards would have an advantage and if it uses Stream then the advantage would go to ATi.
m
l
a c 130 U Graphics card
a b Î Nvidia
September 7, 2010 12:24:36 AM

Twoboxer said:
Congratulations to the OP Troll who got a satisfying thread out of a worthless question.

Congratulayions for yet another pointless answer thus grabbing forum points :non: 
m
l
a c 274 U Graphics card
a b À AMD
a c 173 Î Nvidia
September 7, 2010 12:33:39 AM

mactronix said:
Congratulayions for yet another pointless answer thus grabbing forum points :non: 

Although to be fair he has made quite a few useful posts so I think we should let him have his 4 points this time round. :lol: 
m
l
a c 130 U Graphics card
a b Î Nvidia
September 7, 2010 12:43:29 AM

@ dipankar2007ind
I'm sorry friend but this time i think you are wrong, PhysX is while not a make or break tech none the less worth while. Having said that US and Euro law is different but im in the UK and i would be quite within my rights to take Nvidia to court on the same basis as Sony removing the support for the other OS feature on the PS3.
Basically the usage with an ATI card was there to be had quite legally, same as the other OS support for the PS3 without any illegal trickery but was removed with a driver update. This is contrary to directive 1999/44/ec which includes the statement that.
"The goods must:

comply with the description given by the seller and posses the same qualities and characteristics as other similar goods
be fit for the purpose which the consumer requires them and which was made known to the seller at the time of purchase.”

So basically as the PhysX option was available at the time people who had Physx available at the time of purchase of the card but now don't because of the driver update are being illegally deprived of the function by Nvidia.

This can be enforced up to (by a judges discretion ) 6 years. But PhysX isnt that old so i doubt its relevant.
Where new buyers stand i don't know but its Nvidia here who are morally in the wrong here.

Mactronix
m
l
a c 130 U Graphics card
a b Î Nvidia
September 7, 2010 12:48:36 AM

Mousemonkey said:
Although to be fair he has made quite a few useful posts so I think we should let him have his 4 points this time round. :lol: 

OK I can fly with that, sorry to Twoboxer for any upset but its still the most pointless unhelpful post i have seen this month so far. :kaola: 

Mactronix :) 
m
l
a c 274 U Graphics card
a b À AMD
a c 173 Î Nvidia
September 7, 2010 12:51:40 AM

mactronix said:
OK I can fly with that, sorry to Twoboxer for any upset but its still the most pointless unhelpful post i have seen this month so far. :kaola: 

Mactronix :) 

That's only because you haven't trawled the forums too much. [:mousemonkey:5]
m
l
a b U Graphics card
September 7, 2010 12:57:50 AM

Quote:
yes u r entiled to use it but as ur primary gpu not secondary.When you use it as ur secondary gpu for physx then u r stealing that technology from nvidia.

And exactly where in their Term of Use policy did it state that the card had to be used as a primary graphics card --- and by that same reasoning then anyone using an Nvidia card in an SLI configuration is also stealing !!
m
l
a b U Graphics card
September 7, 2010 6:11:06 AM

Quote:
yes u r entiled to use it but as ur primary gpu not secondary.When you use it as ur secondary gpu for physx then u r stealing that technology from nvidia.

Nvidia makes a nice penny letting us AMD owners hack physX, you need an NV based GPU to use as a secondary PPU so its basically a win/win situation. Nobody is stealing anything from anyone, if NV didn't want the hack to work they could have done something about it a long time ago. We have to pay NV in order to get physX, that is not stealing :na: 
m
l
a b U Graphics card
September 7, 2010 6:56:25 AM

O.O getting off OP guys, get back on topic. Also if OP doesn't respond to this thread soon MouseMonkey or OvrClkr, I think you should close the thread before some trolling goes further.

BTW: Mafia 2 is fine w/o Physx, Trust me, beat the game. And Its just as fun without Physx, I get to run up close to a person with a shotgun shoot em and that Ragdoll physics is just so fun to mess around with, specially with the Magnum, YOU CAN STILL HAVE FUN WITHOUT PHYSX! :D 

Oh btw, an OC'd 5850 once hitting 1000/1XXX clocks it basically surpasses a stock 5870. I ran Mafia 2 with 1000/1205 on 1680x1050, Antialiasing on, Anisotropic 8x, all on High, and still pulling max FPS, with a few times of random fps drops, but nothing big only every once and a while. So the 5850 would be an excellent buy,

@OvrClkr, I wish i didn't buy the 5850 when it came out -.- Man I want the DirectCu
m
l
a c 274 U Graphics card
a b À AMD
a c 173 Î Nvidia
September 7, 2010 4:10:09 PM

aznshinobi said:
O.O getting off OP guys, get back on topic. Also if OP doesn't respond to this thread soon MouseMonkey or OvrClkr, I think you should close the thread before some trolling goes further.

If the OP does not respond soon then I shall close this thread, but let's give them a few more hours at least.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
September 7, 2010 4:44:43 PM

Right now you can get a 5850 for as low as 259.99$ shipped (no egg cooler), and you can get a DirectCU for about 270.00$ after MIR so it seems like AMD is putting a hurt on NV since the price is almost equal to a decent 460 1Gb.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=E...
m
l
a c 274 U Graphics card
a b À AMD
a c 173 Î Nvidia
September 7, 2010 4:48:17 PM

OvrClkr said:
Right now you can get a 5850 for as low as 259.99$ shipped (no egg cooler), and you can get a DirectCU for about 270.00$ after MIR so it seems like AMD is putting a hurt on NV since the price is almost equal to a decent 460 1Gb.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=E...

In the UK there is still a £35 difference between the two in favour of the 460.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
September 7, 2010 4:49:20 PM

Mousemonkey said:
In the UK there is still a £35 difference between the two in favour of the 460.

Any UK links?
m
l
!