Sign in with
Your question

Problems after updating Gefoce 8800 gt driver update.

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
September 5, 2010 6:36:30 PM

Hey guys, the driver update quiet often get's tricky. I updated my drivers for Geforce 8800gt 512 to 196.21 version. I could see the change and increase in loading speed in general. But while playing MW2, it would freeze randomly, which did not happen before updating. Before this i tried to update to 256 version but that just killed the display. So any suggestions, or experience you had with this version and with other games, and possible solutions without having to go back to the old drivers.
a c 172 Î Nvidia
a b \ Driver
September 5, 2010 6:53:00 PM

I'm using the 259.31's on my SLi'd 8800GT's and have had no problems at all, did you install the new drivers over the top of the old ones or did you uninstall the old drivers first?
m
l
September 5, 2010 7:17:49 PM

Over the old ones.
m
l
Related resources
a c 172 Î Nvidia
a b \ Driver
September 5, 2010 7:32:50 PM

omar said:
Over the old ones.

Whilst I do that myself most of the time it can on occasion cause issues, have you tried uninstalling all of the older drivers first?
m
l
September 5, 2010 7:35:10 PM

But after i had trouble with the 256, i uninstalled the drivers, and then installed the 196. I uninstalled from control panel, and after un-installation the nvidea driver and other components like physx were still there in the add/remove, even though it went through the process. Also, i have dx 9 if that matters at all.
m
l
a c 172 Î Nvidia
a b \ Driver
September 5, 2010 7:39:17 PM

omar said:
But after i had trouble with the 256, i uninstalled the drivers, and then installed the 196. I uninstalled from control panel, and after un-installation the nvidea driver and other components like physx were still there in the add/remove, even though it went through the process. Also, i have dx 9 if that matters at all.

XP I assume? Have you tried going through the system32 folder and deleting the Nvidia files that are in there and then installing the latest ones?
m
l
September 5, 2010 11:00:13 PM

yes XP and no i never tried that. Is that safe? I mean are they easily recognizable?
m
l
a c 172 Î Nvidia
a b \ Driver
September 5, 2010 11:04:19 PM

omar said:
yes XP and no i never tried that. Is that safe? I mean are they easily recognizable?

XP uses a Microsoft default driver unlike Vista and W7 which use an old Nvidia driver as the default so yes it's quite safe so long as you only delete files the from Nvidia corp. and nothing else.
m
l
September 6, 2010 5:19:42 AM

oki so instead doing it manually, i used driver sweeper from guru3d.com. I have one question, it showed nvidea display,nvidea physx, and nvidea chipset. So the hipset is related to the video card right? because my motherboard is intel extreme series, they say some motherboards are "nvidea based" so this method must not be used for that. So is nvidea chipset my motherboard or the vga card, should i remove that?
m
l
a c 172 Î Nvidia
a b \ Driver
September 6, 2010 3:13:41 PM

I don't like using those sweeper programs myself as I prefer to do manually so I can't really say for sure but what have you got to lose?
m
l
September 6, 2010 5:21:27 PM

Yea i was just thinking if by chipset it may be referring to the mobo by any chance :/  ?
m
l
a c 172 Î Nvidia
a b \ Driver
September 6, 2010 5:22:14 PM

I would have thought so.
m
l
September 7, 2010 3:50:28 AM

phew...i almost removed that.
m
l