Upgrading a Dell Inspiron 6000

slosparky

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2011
Hello,

I want to breathe some new life into an old laptop primarily used for word processing, email, internet, iTunes, YouTube, and movies.

Will I notice any significant performance difference upgrading the processor from Intel Pentium M 740 (1.73GHz) to a 770 (2.13Ghz) or 780 (2.26GHz)?

Are there any other improvements that can done to this laptop?

Here's my current setup:
- Dell Inspiron 6000
- Windows XP SP3
- Intel Pentium M processor 1.73GHz 533FSB
- ATI Mobility Radeon X300
- Hitachi Travelstar 160GB 5400RPM
- Crucial 2x1GB DDR PC2-5200 RAM

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks!

Hard to predict if those cpus will work with your old Dell board; I would put the money toward a new laptop. You can get one with 4 gb of ram for $399; check slickdeals or fatwallet for daily deals. If the cpu doesn't work, you're stuck with it; they are hard to sell. You will also have to upgrade the cpu heatsink if it does work, which isn't easy to find. You can't buy those off the shelf at newegg. Also you can transfer your old drive to the new one if the adapter plug fits; laptops are proprietary; it makes no sense to upgrade them when new ones are so cheap.

slosparky

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2011
Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately, I need to make this laptop last another year or more. I don't want to invest more than $100.00. I know those processors I mentioned are compatible with this computer using the same heatsink.

Let me rephrase my question: If i'm on Youtube or streaming video, will I notice the difference if I upgrade the processor to one that is 23% faster?

TRENDING THREADS