Sign in with
Your question

Advise on MOBO & GPU choice please.

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
September 5, 2010 6:53:09 PM

Hi,

I am planning to build a new PC and would like some advice on which MOBO and Graphics Card to buy. In addition to general use my most demanding requirement will be Photoshop editing as a hobby – I am not into gaming or overclocking! And the PC has to be quiet. My current monitor is 1280 x 1024 but I shall probably buy a larger or additional one soon and also upgrade to Photoshop CS 5.

My kit list so far is: CPU = Intel Core i7-930 ; RAM = Corsair 3x2GB DDR3 PC3-12800; Hard Drive = WD Caviar Black 1TB; PSU = Seasonic X-650 W; OS = Windows 7 64 bit.

I am considering the Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R LGA 1366 MOBO, which is moderately priced but has some capabilities I probably don’t need. Most graphics cards seem to be aimed at gamers and having read some of your threads I have shortlisted the following but could be way off the mark – Asus HD4670 512 MB 1800/750 MHz GDDR3; Saphire 1GB HD 5550 Ultimate 800/550 MHz GDDR2 (Fanless!); Radeon XFX HD5770 1GB 4800/850 MHz GDDR5. And should I get a SSD and if so how big?

Advice would be appreciated.

Arpher

More about : advise mobo gpu choice

a b U Graphics card
September 5, 2010 6:59:57 PM

Id say drop down to a 750, or an X6.
For you the 930 is just being a little wasteful as the real benefits will be pretty low.

For Photoshop only, get 8GB of RAM, A 5550/5570, and a 60GB Sandforce SSD (You could get by with a 40GB Sandforce also, but the price difference is just ~$30).
a c 235 U Graphics card
September 5, 2010 7:04:23 PM

1. your mobo selection is fine
2. if you want silence, go with the ATI 5550. It will have no issue with your monitor resolution and photoshop, plus it runs silent.
3. SSD made a nice difference in photoshop, up to 40% faster in some tests. you can see some benchmarks in the link below

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/SSD/65
Related resources
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
September 5, 2010 9:22:39 PM

Thanks guys, that's really helpful.

Arpher
September 5, 2010 9:26:35 PM

Double check what computer case you house that all in to as that will make a big difference noise-wise too.
September 5, 2010 9:45:59 PM

If you're going to be upgrading to CS5, you should look at an Nvidia card instead, Photoshop has GPU accceleration (starting in CS4, but much more pronounced in CS5) with Nvidia GPU's.

I'd look toward something like a GT240 if that's the most graphically demanding task you'll use it for.
a b U Graphics card
September 5, 2010 9:54:27 PM

Yargnit said:
If you're going to be upgrading to CS5, you should look at an Nvidia card instead, Photoshop has GPU accceleration (starting in CS4, but much more pronounced in CS5) with Nvidia GPU's.

I'd look toward something like a GT240 if that's the most graphically demanding task you'll use it for.

CUDA acceleration is only limited with MPE in Permiere. You can use the OpenGL acelerations in Photoshop with a ATI card just fine, if not even better.
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
September 5, 2010 10:42:42 PM

w0lfattack said:
Double check what computer case you house that all in to as that will make a big difference noise-wise too.

I have shortlisted the Antec Sonata Solo for that reason. Do you have any better ideas?

Thanks for the advice.

Arpher
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
September 5, 2010 10:45:46 PM

Timop said:
CUDA acceleration is only limited with MPE in Permiere. You can use the OpenGL acelerations in Photoshop with a ATI card just fine, if not even better.

What ATI cards would you recommend?
a b U Graphics card
September 5, 2010 11:00:29 PM

Quote:
What ATI cards would you recommend?

The 5550 you had was a great card.
a c 235 U Graphics card
September 6, 2010 12:18:29 AM

Quote:
I have shortlisted the Antec Sonata Solo for that reason. Do you have any better ideas?

Thanks for the advice.

Arpher

the case is overpriced and its noise reduction is only OK. try the antec 200 or 300, you can always swap their side panels.
September 6, 2010 12:51:15 AM

ct1615 said:
the case is overpriced and its noise reduction is only OK. try the antec 200 or 300, you can always swap their side panels.

Yeah, I looked at the case too. I wasn't too impressed.
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
September 6, 2010 9:46:34 AM

Thanks guys, I will look at the 200 & 300.

Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
September 6, 2010 9:52:12 AM

Timop said:
The 5550 you had was a great card.

Yes, and it's cheap too! But is the GDDR2 RAM compatible with the DDR3 main memory, or does it really matter?
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
September 6, 2010 1:04:16 PM

w0lfattack said:
Are you talking about the memory on the graphics card and the main memory on the motherboard? It doesn't make any difference at all.

As far as cases, I know this one is verrrry quiet: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Wow! That does look like a great case, but I don't want a full tower size and won't need all that cooling with my modest setup. Any views on the Fractual Design R3?

Thanks for clarifying the memory issue - that's just what I was getting at.
September 6, 2010 7:57:01 PM

Well I suppose you could always insulate a computer case yourself. That way you can buy anyone you like. Cooling has always been far more important to me (this also keeps internal hardware cool keeping down internal fan RPM low and quiet). Just be aware that in most cases you are sacrificing cooling as the quieter you get.

With cooling in mind, you can also replace all of your fans with Noctua brand ones as they have a reputation for being extremely quiet.

Just also remember the better the airflow, the quieter your internals will run.
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
September 6, 2010 9:21:10 PM

Thanks, that's useful advice.
!