I have partitioned my hard drive and loaded Windows XP in one partition. How
do I set the default to load any programs into the second partition. My
intent is to only have the operating system in the first partition.

"brawn" <brawn@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have partitioned my hard drive and loaded Windows XP in one partition.
>How
> do I set the default to load any programs into the second partition. My
> intent is to only have the operating system in the first partition.

Problem is that the default is chosen by the individual programs, not by the
operating system.

In news:3pc89mF969v2U1@individual.net,
D.Currie <dmbcurrie.nospam@hotmail.com> typed:

> "brawn" <brawn@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

>> I have partitioned my hard drive and loaded Windows XP in one
>> partition. How
>> do I set the default to load any programs into the second
>> partition.
>> My intent is to only have the operating system in the first
>> partition.
>
> Problem is that the default is chosen by the individual
> programs, not
> by the operating system.

Brawn should also consider the following: Some people want their
installed programs in a partition other than the one the
operating system is in because they think that they can reinstall
the operating system but leave their programs installed. Except
for a very occasional tiny program, this is *not* true; all
programs but the trivial have reference to where they are located
in the registry and all over the \windows folder. If Windows is
reinstalled, the programs will have to be reinstalled too.

So there is little if any reason to install programs in a
partition other than the one Windows is in.

Please reply to the newsgroup

> In news:3pc89mF969v2U1@individual.net,
> D.Currie <dmbcurrie.nospam@hotmail.com> typed:
>
>> "brawn" <brawn@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>
>>> I have partitioned my hard drive and loaded Windows XP in one
>>> partition. How
>>> do I set the default to load any programs into the second partition.
>>> My intent is to only have the operating system in the first
>>> partition.
>>
>> Problem is that the default is chosen by the individual programs, not
>> by the operating system.
>

> Brawn should also consider the following: Some people want their installed
> programs in a partition other than the one the operating system is in
> because they think that they can reinstall the operating system but leave
> their programs installed. Except for a very occasional tiny program, this
> is *not* true; all programs but the trivial have reference to where they
> are located in the registry and all over the \windows folder. If Windows
> is reinstalled, the programs will have to be reinstalled too.
>
> So there is little if any reason to install programs in a partition other
> than the one Windows is in.

> Please reply to the newsgroup

Good point.