Sign in with
Your question

5830 install problem

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
September 5, 2010 7:41:01 PM

I have an Asus ATI 5830 graphics card that I am trying to put on a Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R board. It fits in my case fine, but the motherboard doesnt seem to want to accept it. I have tried all the PCI slots and it feels like it goes in all the way, though it seems to sit right up against the board and thus will not push in any futher. I hear a small click when I push it in and it requires hitting the release switch to get it out.

Even with this, when I power on the rig it makes a loud continuous beep. If I power up without the card all the other components run fine with no beeping. According to my motherboards beep codes, the continuous beep is a problem with the video card and they recommend to make sure it is attached right. I have reseated it many times and checked the power supply to it. The fan on the videocard turns on but I get no picture to the monitor.

Any ideas what I can do here? Is it just not far enough in the board? If so, what can I do to get it in further given it is already up against it?

More about : 5830 install problem

September 5, 2010 7:53:10 PM

rma the card and get a new one
m
l
September 5, 2010 9:40:36 PM

fixed the problem. the card has a 6 pin and 8 pin plug on the back of it for power. I didn't have an 8 pin plug in my psu so i used the included splitter to split the 6 pin coming off the card to 2 plugs that fit the same kind of connections for my fans (sorry dont know the actual name of them but it is a pretty standard fit).

The included manual said if you couldnt connect an 8 and a 6 pin to the back then use the splitter on the 6 pin and forget the 8. This was my problem. I actually did have an 8 pin plug in my power supply but it was a 6 pin with a small 2 pin adapter that can join it to make it an 8 pin, hence why I missed it the first time.

I suppose in the end it wasn't getting enough power and so the motherbaord was unhappy. Seems to be working fine now, Im continuing with the OS install
m
l
!