Sign in with
Your question

Building a computer for Graphics Design

Last response: in Systems
October 24, 2010 11:37:12 PM

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: N/A

BUDGET RANGE: As cheap as possable

SYSTEM USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT:Graphics design. 3D graphics, high res images, wire frames, and large video files

PARTS NOT REQUIRED: mouse, keyboard, speakers

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: newegg or any you prefer. Doesn't really matter

COUNTRY OF ORIGIN: usa

PARTS PREFERENCES: Whatever works.

OVERCLOCKING: N/A

SLI OR CROSSFIRE: N/A

MONITOR RESOLUTION: The higher, the better I would assume.

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: This is for a school assignment. I don't really know where to begin, but I would assume I'd need a decent sized HDD for the large video files, a high res monitor, and a good graphics card for all the design, but then again, I don't know. Lol. Any help as to what parts would be a good idea would be great. And why you chose those parts would be nice too. Don't need why for the assignment, but I'd like to know for personal use. Thank you in advance.
October 25, 2010 1:24:08 AM

This will be very dependent upon the graphics programs you are talking about. NVidia has a very high end Quadro line, with highly optimized drivers for many such programs. Depending what you would be doing with those programs, you might also want a quad Xeon motherboard. Add in petabytes of storage, and you could very quickely be looking at over 10000 USD. If you do need high res monitor(s) that's a few more grand.

On the otherhand, my 4 year old box can run matlab and autocad with integrated graphics.

it would help to either define quantitative performance needs, or a budget, it's just really open ended right now.

m
l
October 26, 2010 6:05:50 AM

Ok since we dun know if your apps/software leverage on GPU acceleration (good if u can state em) i would simply concentrate on getting as cheap fast chip/4GB RAM workable rig on integrated video 1st ^^

$483AR
m
l
October 26, 2010 11:28:22 AM

etk said:
This will be very dependent upon the graphics programs you are talking about. NVidia has a very high end Quadro line, with highly optimized drivers for many such programs. Depending what you would be doing with those programs, you might also want a quad Xeon motherboard. Add in petabytes of storage, and you could very quickely be looking at over 10000 USD. If you do need high res monitor(s) that's a few more grand.

On the otherhand, my 4 year old box can run matlab and autocad with integrated graphics.

it would help to either define quantitative performance needs, or a budget, it's just really open ended right now.

You're not funny
m
l
!