Solved

Is one 256GB SSD better than two 128GB SSD

Hi,

Someone on Craigslist, locally, is selling three OCZ Vertex 4 128 GB. I have my heart set on buying a 256gb SSD though.

So, are there benefits to buying a larger 256GB vs two separate 128gb ssd drives?

Thanks,
7 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about 256gb 128gb
  1. Putting the two smaller drives in RAID 0 would give you about twice the bandwidth of each small drive. Some say RAID 0 doubles the chance of failure, but I'm not sure that applies to SSDs - a Vertex 4 256GB would probably use the same type and total number of Flash chips as 2 Vertex 4 128GB drives in RAID 0, giving the same overall chance of failure. RAID does add some complications, as Windows install might require the RAID driver from a usb memory stick, the RAID controller pauses to give you a chance to enter setup (slowing down system startup), and you'll want to make sure your RAID controller supports TRIM.
  2. Thanks for the info. I was not considering Raid 0, mainly because of the chance of failures and that, if there were failures, it would bring down both drives.
  3. A failure in a RAID 0 would render the whole array inoperable, but might only require replacing one drive (as long as an identical drive is available) to create a new array, then you'd restore from a disk image (or reinstall windows if you only back up personal files). How were you planning to use two drives then?
  4. One of them would be my C Drive, and the other would be my D Drive. I also have a old school (platter) for storage.
  5. Best answer
    Okay, I looked up specifications for the Vertex 4 128GB and 256GB models. They have identical weights and MTBF values, so I was probably wrong about the two smaller drives having the same type and total number of Flash chips as the larger drive (two drives in RAID 0 still wouldn't have exactly double the chance of failure, but close enough). The 128GB drive has a slightly lower sustained sequential write in the specs, but other than that, performance should be about the same.
  6. Thanks for doing the research and the explanations
  7. Best answer selected by frenzy007.
Ask a new question

Read More

SSD OCZ Vertex Storage