Questions about CPU and compatibility

silverxgames

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2010
First of all, I would like to know if this processor is a good deal. I know I can get a similar Intel one, but probably for a lot more (AMD seems cheaper, which is a big factor in what I'm going to buy).

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103727]

Second, if I'm buying a new CPU I need a new motherboard for it, which also means I need to upgrade to DDR3 RAM, from my DDR2. I would like to know if all the components I'm looking at are compatible, and also I would like some recommendations as to what I could possibly buy instead. (I'm hoping for a price < $350)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131651&cm_re=ASUS_M4A87TD%2fUSB3_AM3_AMD_870_SATA_6Gb%2fs_USB_3.0_A-_-13-131-651-_-Product

and

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231311]

Also, I have an ATI Radeon HD 5770 in my computer now, but I assume that's compatible. At least I hope it is. :(

From what I can tell, all the parts SEEM compatible, but I need to know for sure :??:

suteck

Distinguished
The processor is compatible with the motherboard you picked out. Looks pretty good. I followed the link for the memory but newegg says "We apologize for the inconvenience, but the item you are looking for has been deactivated. Here are some similar products that you may wish to consider:" and lists quite a few of course.

But I did find this G.SKILL ECO Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9D-4GBECO for only $63 with shipping. I also found this CORSAIR XMS3 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model CMX4GX3M2A1600C9 for only $50 after MIR. Both of these are on the QVL as compatible so which ever one you like is good. If you prefer a different brand let us know and we can check your findings or find something for you.

Yes, the Ripjaws series is good memory, and 8GB is a good amount to get for gaming and the general multitasking that we all seem to do.

I'd recommend the mainboard (Asus M4A87TD/USB3) and RAM (8GB Ripjaws) you linked, along with the CPU (955 BE) beanoslim linked. I've never trusted open box crap from anywhere, and that board doesn't really have anything important that the other one doesn't.

suteck

Distinguished
I'm not sure about the memory - it might work. I always use either the QVL or the memory manufacturer's configurator. And I don't see those listed on either of those anywhere. I'm not saying it won't work, and G-Skill is a good brand. All i'm saying is when I build a system I use the dummies approach - it always works. If you looking for an 8 GB kit then the Kingston ValueRAM 4GB 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM ECC Unbuffered DDR3 1333 Server Memory Model KVR1333D3E9S/4G is listed. You can FIND IT HERE for $63 each but that's more expensive than the ripjaws.

Yeah, what you suggest is definitely not the right kind of memory. You don't ever want ECC server memory in a non-server computer. Maybe Kingston re-used the same model number from another normal set of RAM or something.

As far as compatibility lists go ... none of the manufacturers actually stay current with those. It's too much of a hassle, and memory manufacturers are coming out with new stuff too often. Just get a quality set of RAM from a quality manufacturer and the vast majority of the time it'll work. Or, just look at Newegg's reviews to see if someone used that kind of RAM in it. Check the fourth review down -- the "Fantastic Motherboard" one.

Silverx -- if you really want to be safe and still want 8GB of Ripjaws, just get two 4GB kits. Those will work for sure, as others have them listed in the reviews. However, I'd say with 90% certainty that the 8GB kit you linked will work also. You can flog me with a wet noodle if it doesn't work. :p

The board I listed is a better design with a better chipset, open box from Newegg are bargains.

Why waste money on 8gb when you won't even use 4gb, what OS ar you installing?

As Sutek said check the qvl list otherwise when it doesn't work its just a hasstle, true ram not on the list may work but there are sets made that favour Intel and AMD setups and plenty to choose from.

But that chipset has no important features that the new board he linked doesn't have. Performance won't suffer, and it's always better to go for new over used.

beano -- you do realize that even someone who only runs games will benefit from more than 4GB of RAM ... right? Graphics cards can reserve up to 4GB of system RAM for texture storage and stuff. It won't necessarily be reflected in FPS benchmarks, but game loading time is reduced, and level loading times are reduced. Also, there will be less graphical anomalies. Plus, Alt-Tabbing out is much smoother. Yes, this does assume a 64-bit operating system.

Linky to some proofage. 8GB is the 'new' gamer sweet-spot.

And the Ripjaws memory works, as stated in the reviews (4x 2GB 100% sure). Just get two 4GB kits and forget the list, silverx.

Open box doesn't mean used, for general use and some apps the notice is negligible, waste of money unless you use something that will specifically target and utilize the extra ram. Yes more, why not if money is no object but the OP has a budget.

M4A87TD/USB3 has 4+1 power phase and AMD870 chipset which won't OC as well as the M4A89GTD with its 890GX chipset and 8+2 phase power design. The GTD has better passive cooling setup and enables x8 x8 Crossfire setup should you decide to get another card whereas the M4A87TD supports x16 x4 pci-e.

Which board would you rather have??

Personally I would go 965BE but I like OC ing, that chip will hit some good speeds.

The 6 core obviously has more cores but nothig much utilizes 6 cores atm, some games do.

If you have no intention of OC get the 6 core otherwise ramp that quad up, IMO. :D

suteck

Distinguished
I would also go with the AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition Deneb 3.4GHz. Faster speed even before overclocking - if you do any - and unless you are doing some video editing or encoding and things like that then the extra cores aren't needed.