Files and settings transfer wizard problem? Please help me!

September 21, 2005 8:13:49 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.outlookexpress.general,microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage (More info?)

Hi,

I saved my OE messages and settings using the XP files and settings transfer
wizard so I can put it back on my laptop after a XP clean install! That was
last night and I successfully saved the settings on 1GB SD card. I am
trying to transfer it to the Laptop and it asks my to insert disk #1, when I
click ok it says that this is not the correct disk! The backed up data are
on the SD card which is a file called "USMT2IMG"!

I used this wizard many times in the past but I always saved my stuff on a
hard drive partition and never had a problem with it! This time I used the
SD card but that is not working! Please help me get my data back, please!
The stuff I had on it is really hard to replace and would cost me a lot,
possible my job! Thanks in advance.
Anonymous
September 21, 2005 10:32:56 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage (More info?)

Hi Mac,

Have you tried copying the backup file over to the hard drive, then
importing from there?

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"mac" <0678768@00000hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I saved my OE messages and settings using the XP files and settings
> transfer
> wizard so I can put it back on my laptop after a XP clean install! That
> was
> last night and I successfully saved the settings on 1GB SD card. I am
> trying to transfer it to the Laptop and it asks my to insert disk #1, when
> click ok it says that this is not the correct disk! The backed up data are
> on the SD card which is a file called "USMT2IMG"!
>
> I used this wizard many times in the past but I always saved my stuff on a
> hard drive partition and never had a problem with it! This time I used the
> SD card but that is not working! Please help me get my data back, please!
> The stuff I had on it is really hard to replace and would cost me a lot,
> possible my job! Thanks in advance.

Anonymous
September 21, 2005 11:48:32 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.outlookexpress.general,microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage (More info?)

Try copying from the SD card to the hard drive and then see if it will work.

steve

"mac" <0678768@00000hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I saved my OE messages and settings using the XP files and settings
> transfer
> wizard so I can put it back on my laptop after a XP clean install! That
> was
> last night and I successfully saved the settings on 1GB SD card. I am
> trying to transfer it to the Laptop and it asks my to insert disk #1, when
> click ok it says that this is not the correct disk! The backed up data are
> on the SD card which is a file called "USMT2IMG"!
>
> I used this wizard many times in the past but I always saved my stuff on a
> hard drive partition and never had a problem with it! This time I used the
> SD card but that is not working! Please help me get my data back, please!
> The stuff I had on it is really hard to replace and would cost me a lot,
> possible my job! Thanks in advance.

Related resources
September 21, 2005 12:37:36 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.outlookexpress.general,microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage (More info?)

I did, it does not work! If you do that the wizard uses different name for
the backup file and there is a "status" file that is usually there but
Unfortunately, I don't have that file so I can't backup directly from the
hard drive! Thanks.

"Default User" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Try copying from the SD card to the hard drive and then see if it will
> work.
>
> steve
>
> "mac" <0678768@00000hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> Hi,
>>
>> I saved my OE messages and settings using the XP files and settings
>> transfer
>> wizard so I can put it back on my laptop after a XP clean install! That
>> was
>> last night and I successfully saved the settings on 1GB SD card. I am
>> trying to transfer it to the Laptop and it asks my to insert disk #1,
>> when I
>> click ok it says that this is not the correct disk! The backed up data
>> are
>> on the SD card which is a file called "USMT2IMG"!
>>
>> I used this wizard many times in the past but I always saved my stuff on
>> hard drive partition and never had a problem with it! This time I used
>> the
>> SD card but that is not working! Please help me get my data back, please!
>> The stuff I had on it is really hard to replace and would cost me a lot,
>> possible my job! Thanks in advance.

September 21, 2005 12:38:05 PM

> Hi Mac,
>
> Have you tried copying the backup file over to the hard drive, then
> importing from there?
>
> --
> Best of Luck,

> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>
> "mac" <0678768@00000hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> Hi,
>>
>> I saved my OE messages and settings using the XP files and settings
>> transfer
>> wizard so I can put it back on my laptop after a XP clean install! That
>> was
>> last night and I successfully saved the settings on 1GB SD card. I am
>> trying to transfer it to the Laptop and it asks my to insert disk #1,
>> when I
>> click ok it says that this is not the correct disk! The backed up data
>> are
>> on the SD card which is a file called "USMT2IMG"!
>>
>> I used this wizard many times in the past but I always saved my stuff on
>> hard drive partition and never had a problem with it! This time I used
>> the
>> SD card but that is not working! Please help me get my data back, please!
>> The stuff I had on it is really hard to replace and would cost me a lot,
>> possible my job! Thanks in advance.

September 22, 2005 5:10:15 AM

news:o PZWBlqvFHA.2932@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
>I did, it does not work! If you do that the wizard uses different name for
>the backup file and there is a "status" file that is usually there but
>Unfortunately, I don't have that file so I can't backup directly from the
>hard drive! Thanks.

After you save to the hard drive, remove the read only attribute from each
file.
See:
http://insideoe.tomsterdam.com/backup/index.htm
February 14, 2006 1:31:38 PM

This is a common problem.

The "Files and Settings Transfer Wizard" software on your new computer is a different version than the one used to backup the Files & Settings.

Luckily, there is an easy fix for this.

Insert the Windows XP CD from your original PC into the new computer.
Click the "Perform additional tasks" option.
Click the "Transfer files and settings" option.

If you had upgraded the Files & Settings Transfer Wizard software on your old PC the CD may not work. In that case, you may just need to upgrade the software on your new PC.

I repair computers for a living, so I have several versions of XP on CD. If one doesn't work, I just try another. So if you get stuck, hit up your friends and see if their XP CD's have the right version of software.
January 1, 2007 4:09:41 PM

I have a similar problem in that i backed up my husbands laptop with files and transfers settings wizard, saved the file on my laptop, then mine had to be backed up and the stuff put back on and now my husbands files and transfer settings file is coming up with this
IMG00001.DAT
and the files and transfer wizard on his laptop won't recognise it.
Please help, all his really important stuff including songs he wrote are on it! :(
November 3, 2008 12:49:29 PM

this works.TRUST ME follow my instructions ..wizard creates a folder that is path generated( the from and the to path must be the same)
the answer is to trick the paths into believing they are the same.
1st use the wizard to create a new folder on your new comp.(tell the wizard it's from your old comp.) send it to the desktop.
2nd delete the files in the folder you just created.
3rd copy the files from the old wizard( files only) and paste them in the new file you created.(make sure they are in numerical order)
4th now tell the wizard that you are transfering to the new comp.(on the desktop) done!!. restart your comp each step to insure
the info is in the registry. this proceedure works( sometimes you might have to repeat thes steps, because for some reason
the path trigger switch doe's not reset.
November 14, 2008 3:35:52 AM

I have been looking for help for similar problem all over the net. I don't care how long it takes just want my info back.
I used FAST and stored my files and settings on a removable HD. After a clean install of my XP again with SP2, I was unable to get my data back.
I keep getting the following error- the location you specified does not contain stored information. please type a valid folder path into the edit box.
My information is there. My external HD is fat32 and XP NTFS, if that makes a difference.
I have tried using Fast conv, but to no avail. Any suggestions would be welcome.
Signed,
ready to give up
real disappointed with Microsoft and lack of support.pjr43[at]hotmail.com
November 14, 2008 10:30:11 AM

if you would do as i have written you will solve your problem. the folder path
is generated by the wizard and is dependent on several factors.that is why
if you create a new folder by wizard and replace the files inside the folder, it
will respond. stop thinking and do what is in my previous post..thank me lated.. Stranger..(damn it)
November 14, 2008 11:24:50 AM

because you are so in need of your files..you can email me and i will walk
you through(see site admin for details) stranger ..ps. I like the name "Stranger" damn it
November 14, 2008 11:40:42 AM

I am a I.T. and I'm telling all of you to forget the heavy answers to this problem( such as insert this, do this, use this code, etc..)i did all that dumb
**** my first year of college... Stop it.. use my post
May 7, 2009 3:35:09 PM

rockt111 said:
this works.TRUST ME follow my instructions ..wizard creates a folder that is path generated( the from and the to path must be the same)
the answer is to trick the paths into believing they are the same.
1st use the wizard to create a new folder on your new comp.(tell the wizard it's from your old comp.) send it to the desktop.
2nd delete the files in the folder you just created.
3rd copy the files from the old wizard( files only) and paste them in the new file you created.(make sure they are in numerical order)
4th now tell the wizard that you are transfering to the new comp.(on the desktop) done!!. restart your comp each step to insure
the info is in the registry. this proceedure works( sometimes you might have to repeat thes steps, because for some reason
the path trigger switch doe's not reset.

I had the same issue.
I tried to run the import from a portable usb drive, no luck.
I upgraded the transfer wizard with the Microsoft patch, again, no luck.
I tried to copy the files over from the drive to the PC, no luck.
I ran the wizard on the "new" pc, and said it was the old PC. I created the export file at the root of the C drive. I coped the files over into that directory, and still had no luck.

So, I followed the instruction above about creating the export file on the desktop. I did so, and copied over the export files into that directory, and this time the wizard worked. The only thing I did not do was copy the old status file. I only copied the .DAT files. But, it worked, and the import ran. I am unsure why it took running the export out to the desktop, but I cannot argue with success at this point.
October 3, 2009 10:31:37 PM

I am having no luck. I started at the place most of the people on here start - the wizard wouldn't recognize that the file(s) were in the right place. I did the procedure of creating a new transfer file on the desktop of the new computer and copied the old DAT file to that folder after deleting the new one. I had to use the new STATUS file, or it wouldn't work either.

Ok, great. I thought. It started "Transfer in progress, Organizing your files and settings". It goes through about 1/3 of the progress bar, and then says "Undoing changes to your computer" and then I get "An error occured while the wizard was loading your data."

I tried it twice with the file I first put on the new local hard drive, and then re-copied from the USB flash drive where I stored it originally. No luck.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

David
October 22, 2009 1:07:51 AM

dwaldmann, you're doing it slightly wrong... from your description, it sounds as if you're deleting the new "folder" that the wizard creates on your desktop.

Follow these steps, as I have cleared them up a bit for you to follow but all credits go to rockt111:

1: Use the File and Settings Wizard to save the files and create a new folder on your new computer.

** NOTE: ** Tell the wizard that you are currently using your old computer and save it somewhere convienent such as your desktop.

2: Delete the files INSIDE the folder you just created.

** NOTE: ** DO NOT delete the "status" file, leave it in place.

3: Copy the files from the backup you created with the old comp/wizard (files only "*.dat", not the "status" file) and paste them in the new folder location you created.

4: Now tell the wizard that you are using the new computer and choose the location you created in step #1.

If you followed these direction EXACTLY, you will successfully transfer the files and settings from your old backup to your new computer.
October 22, 2009 11:22:27 AM

e_z_minded - sorry, but even if it wasn't clear, that is exactly what I did...

However, I had decided to copy My Documents additionally, so at least I had that. The only thing I really lost of any importance was the Address Book, and there is a copy of at least most of it on GMail.
October 26, 2009 10:30:47 AM

rockt111 said:
this works.TRUST ME follow my instructions ..wizard creates a folder that is path generated( the from and the to path must be the same)
the answer is to trick the paths into believing they are the same.
1st use the wizard to create a new folder on your new comp.(tell the wizard it's from your old comp.) send it to the desktop.
2nd delete the files in the folder you just created.
3rd copy the files from the old wizard( files only) and paste them in the new file you created.(make sure they are in numerical order)
4th now tell the wizard that you are transfering to the new comp.(on the desktop) done!!. restart your comp each step to insure
the info is in the registry. this proceedure works( sometimes you might have to repeat thes steps, because for some reason
the path trigger switch doe's not reset.

Hey all...IT WORKED FOR ME, although a bit confusing to understand! I give clarification credit to the other guy (e_z_minded_guy on 10-22-2009 @ 3:07:51am) that retyped it and gave credit to rock111~ Thanks for the tips!
October 26, 2009 10:32:09 AM

e_z_minded_guy said:
[...]

This is what I sent to rock111 "Hey all...IT WORKED FOR ME, although a bit confusing to understand! I give clarification credit to the other guy (e_z_minded_guy on 10-22-2009 @ 3:07:51am) that retyped it and gave credit to rock111~ Thanks for the tips!"
November 9, 2009 9:54:05 PM

dwaldmann said:
[...]

David - did you ever get the fix to work?

Sam
November 16, 2009 2:59:03 AM

I also am having the same problem.. I was running XP SP3 when I did the original transfer files.. to an SD card, I then formatted to a clean install and now the file transfer will not work.. I have tried the above solution and it is not working.. before or after I upgraded to SP3 on the new install.

if anyone can really help me out here as my wife told me I shouldn't do a full format cause i was gonna lose all our e-mails and contacts..

Someone please help me prove her wrong :p
Anonymous
December 24, 2009 11:52:42 PM

I tried the above method, didn't work for me. I even rebooted between steps. No luck.

The following is my last desperate try and worked.

1. On new computer, tell the wizard this is the old computer and create a new archive. Close the wizard.

2. Open the wizard, tell the wizard this is the new computer and restore. Once the restore process starts, click cancel and confirm. Close the wizard

3.Replace the .dat files in the new archive with the old files. Don't replace the status file.

4. Open the wizard, tell the wizard this is the new computer and restore.

This lucky try saved me, hope it will work for you too.
February 1, 2010 2:32:08 PM

I did what you said, and it worked up to the point when the wizard said I didn't have enough space on my hard drive. My transfer was 268GB from a 300GB hard drive. The hard drive I put it on in the first place is a 1TB. So now I am stuck, because it is on my C: drive desktop, but it is taking up all the space. Any ideas for this? I am pulling my hair out at this point. Thank you for your precious time.

rockt111 said:
this works.TRUST ME follow my instructions ..wizard creates a folder that is path generated( the from and the to path must be the same)
the answer is to trick the paths into believing they are the same.
1st use the wizard to create a new folder on your new comp.(tell the wizard it's from your old comp.) send it to the desktop.
2nd delete the files in the folder you just created.
3rd copy the files from the old wizard( files only) and paste them in the new file you created.(make sure they are in numerical order)
4th now tell the wizard that you are transfering to the new comp.(on the desktop) done!!. restart your comp each step to insure
the info is in the registry. this proceedure works( sometimes you might have to repeat thes steps, because for some reason
the path trigger switch doe's not reset.

February 11, 2010 10:10:39 PM

My problem is slightly different. When I use the wizard to transfer files to the new computer, it recognizes the folder and starts to 'organize' but about one hour into that stage it stops running and will not respond to anything, forcing me to stop the process via the task manager. I have tried several times and even tried to trick it with rockt111's trick but the results are the same - the wizard stops responding about one hour into the operation. Any ideas?
March 4, 2010 4:24:52 PM

Quote:
I tried the above method, didn't work for me. I even rebooted between steps. No luck.

The following is my last desperate try and worked.

1. On new computer, tell the wizard this is the old computer and create a new archive. Close the wizard.

2. Open the wizard, tell the wizard this is the new computer and restore. Once the restore process starts, click cancel and confirm. Close the wizard

3.Replace the .dat files in the new archive with the old files. Don't replace the status file.

4. Open the wizard, tell the wizard this is the new computer and restore.

This lucky try saved me, hope it will work for you too.

thank you it worked. I had tried everything. It is step 2 creating and starting a new file transfer file and then cancelling it and then step 3 copying the DAT files into the new USMT2.UNC folder .
May 7, 2010 6:12:49 PM

rockt111 said:
this works.TRUST ME follow my instructions ..wizard creates a folder that is path generated( the from and the to path must be the same)
the answer is to trick the paths into believing they are the same.
1st use the wizard to create a new folder on your new comp.(tell the wizard it's from your old comp.) send it to the desktop.
2nd delete the files in the folder you just created.
3rd copy the files from the old wizard( files only) and paste them in the new file you created.(make sure they are in numerical order)
4th now tell the wizard that you are transfering to the new comp.(on the desktop) done!!. restart your comp each step to insure
the info is in the registry. this proceedure works( sometimes you might have to repeat thes steps, because for some reason
the path trigger switch doe's not reset.

I have no idea how you figured this out, but it worked. Thank you.
June 12, 2010 1:07:06 AM

I used the File and Settings Transfer to take off everything (I thought, at least) from a computer, and now I'm trying to put it onto a partition running XP. For some reason the DAT files are 29GB where the orginal hard drive only had 26GB on it total. The partition I'm trying to transfer the files to is only 19GB, so I tried only transfering certain file types to the new computer. Apparently I didn't get rid of enough things to transfer because in the File and Settings Transfer program stops and says there's been an error, and that maybe I don't have enough space on the hard drive (which only might be the problem).

So I thought, okay, I'll go back and only transfer .pst fiels, since what I really want is the contacts from Outlook. But everytime I try to re-start the File and Settings Transfer it just starts trying to transfer, apparently re-trying the previous transfer instead of letting me select the types of files I want to transfer.

Is there any way to get it to let me go back and re-select the file types to pull off the old data, or are the DAT files actually changed based on the orginal settings I selected?

Thanks,
Matt
Anonymous
January 23, 2011 12:35:18 PM

Yess Man U or yhe bets it worksssss
April 20, 2011 10:55:43 AM

Hey thank you guys i was having tough time solving this issue... credits to
CopyMan011254 and rockt111 for their simple solution.
July 4, 2011 3:21:57 AM

Hi Guys
I have tried the CopyMan011254 and rockt111 methods but no good.
It starts processing, gets 1/3 thru then freezes and I need to "End Task".
I updated XP and saved my settings with FAST.
Any help would be great.
tom
October 5, 2011 9:50:34 PM

As posted on:

OK, so I have spent the past 4 nights at home researching this issue and I have discovered a few things. Firstly ALL is NOT lost and you CAN restore your files. But it will take time.

My scenario is I had an XP Home with SP 1 installed. I'd backed up the XP files using the MigWiz.exe (Files and Settings Transfer Wizard). I then wiped the disk and installed W7. I attempted to restore the files using MigWiz.exe (MigWiz.exe Ver. 5.1.2600.1106) but W7 would not recognise the files (.dat). I'd backed them up to an external USB drive so the path was E:\LaptopBackup\USMT2.UNC

So, I got myself another XP machine (XP Professional this time XP SP1 [or 1a as it is known] ) and attempted to restore the files.

This is what I discovered: the version of XP in my case didn't matter; however the service pack did matter. I tried with earlier service packs to restore the .dat files but to no avail. I grabbed XP SP3, installed it and retried with the MigWiz.exe Ver. 6.4.760.16385 - this worked, but is still taking ALL NIGHT to restore my 56Gbs worth of data.

I got the MizWiz.exe Ver. 5.1.2600.1106 from an XP Home SP1 CD.
I got the MizWiz.exe Ver. 5.1.2600.2180 from an XP Home SP2 CD.
I got the MizWiz.exe Ver. 5.1.2600.5512from an XP Professional SP3 CD (installed SP3).

My W7 install has: MizWiz.exe Ver. 6.4.760.16385 so don't even think about using this to try to restore your XP files.

Forget alternative tools and I struggled with them and opted to get the MigWiz.exe GUI.

Note that I was using a USB share and could not restore the files from a local drive. Others may have had some sucess but I did not. Not only that but also, you cannot point the MigWiz.exe directly to the USMT2.UNC folder, if you do, it will fail. For example, you cannot point it to E:\LaptopBackup\USMT2.UNC

Instead, you have to point it to the directory above, the parent directory. In my case it was: E:\LaptopBackup\

As I'm always happy to chip in with support queries (maybe even send you the MigWiz.exe files) you can email me directly:

adam [at] cappsie [dot] com - no spam thanks!

All the best,
Adam.
October 5, 2011 9:51:23 PM

[...]

December 19, 2011 2:31:51 PM

e_z_minded_guy said:
[...]

:bounce:
Hello e_z_minded!!! THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU! I thought I was SOL, but your crystal-clear directions saved me. I only wish I had found your answer/info sooner. I kept thinking there was a SP incompatibility or something and kept trying to update the new machine (I wasn't sure the SP version of the old machine), until I had a match.
Thanks again!
- Liz @ Reboot IT Now, LLC.
February 17, 2013 8:23:46 PM

rockt111 wrote and copyman0112, i'm really struggling, i've tried doing this 3 or 4 times now, and it's not working :(  it also keeps crashing during the process i.e. FAST encountered a problem bla bla blah. Can you still help at all??

Using windows xp.

Many thank :sweat:  s
February 17, 2013 8:55:02 PM

valdaw87 said:
rockt111 wrote and copyman0112, i'm really struggling, i've tried doing this 3 or 4 times now, and it's not working :(  it also keeps crashing during the process i.e. FAST encountered a problem bla bla blah. Can you still help at all??

Using windows xp.

Many thank :sweat:  s

Hi

It's been a while since I've done this stuff. What is your OS version and what is your MigWiz version?

A.
February 18, 2013 5:37:44 AM

Cappsie

OS IS WINDOWS XP sp3

ii don't know what version migwiz is, how do i check?
February 18, 2013 8:25:26 AM

Hi,

You'll find the migwiz.exe here: C:\WINDOWS\system32\usmt
Right-click on the file, then click properties.

I have Windows XP Professional with SP3 and so my migwiz version is: 5.1.2600.5512

The versions vary between XP releases.

Is your version of XP Home or Professional?

Let me know.

A.
February 18, 2013 8:39:19 AM

Mac said:
[...]

Hey, how did you get so many answers in such a small amount of time? I have a big problem to, a bsod at startup. I can only boot up into safe mode. i am getting fed up of it, not being able to play games, no sound ect, BTW, i feel sorry for you also, but i ask again. how did you get so many views in so little time whereas i've had this bsod problem for a month and no ones been able to help.
February 18, 2013 8:49:27 AM

Mr Burns said:
Hey, how did you get so many answers in such a small amount of time? I have a big problem to, a bsod at startup. I can only boot up into safe mode. i am getting fed up of it, not being able to play games, no sound ect, BTW, i feel sorry for you also, but i ask again. how did you get so many views in so little time whereas i've had this bsod problem for a month and no ones been able to help.

Hi, I'm not sure regarding post views - probably that loads of people with the same issue are struggling to restore data.

Ok so you're getting a BSOD - firstly you need to see which driver is causing the issue here. Is your machine set to *not* reboot upon BSOD?

Post the offending driver here and I'll see what I can find out :)

Have you installed an updated video or sound card since before the BSOD? Or, what did you do before you received a BSOD

Usually when Windows throws a BSOD, it is nearly always a driver issue. Once we can nail down the error codes, we can see what's what.

I'll try to help you resolve this.

A.
February 18, 2013 2:22:47 PM

This is beginning to border on the off-topic. Folks with BSOD problems will probably benefit from from a fresh thread on that specific subject than an archived "necro" thread on the Migwiz.

Mr Burns, I'm sorry you haven't had a fix but a lot people looking to post advice will steer clear of subjects they aren't too strong on and if FAST is one of those, you could wait a long time for an answer.

February 18, 2013 9:26:59 PM

Cappsie said:
Hi,

You'll find the migwiz.exe here: C:\WINDOWS\system32\usmt
Right-click on the file, then click properties.

I have Windows XP Professional with SP3 and so my migwiz version is: 5.1.2600.5512

The versions vary between XP releases.

Is your version of XP Home or Professional?

Let me know.

A.

cappsie

it is my friends pc, i'm going on it tomorrow around midday. will update you on the migwiz info around that time.

i wondered is there another .dat extraction program i could use instead??
thanks
February 19, 2013 9:01:14 AM

I don't recall finding a replacement for .dat file extraction, but I did look. I think the main issue is that this is a proprietary Microsoft utility and as such only the MS tool works.

Keep me posted about the MigWiz though.

A.
February 19, 2013 11:47:52 AM

Oh wait a minute! This post has been going on for years! I didn't relalize! I'm sure it said somewhere next the the thread before I clicked on it saying it had only been on very recently (a matter of hours or even minutes) and got that many. Now I see. Maybe the time and date displayed next to the thread was the time the last person answered. Anyway, It's been up an EXTREMELY long time. Looks like many have this issue. But I bet the original asker is long gone now...

Anyway, I guess it will just take time for me to get an answer for my bsod problem. Maybe even years...
February 19, 2013 12:02:23 PM

Ok message me directly - adam [at] cappsie [dot] com

We'll take it offline :)

A.
February 19, 2013 12:02:57 PM

Cappsie said:
Hi, I'm not sure regarding post views - probably that loads of people with the same issue are struggling to restore data.

Ok so you're getting a BSOD - firstly you need to see which driver is causing the issue here. Is your machine set to *not* reboot upon BSOD?

Post the offending driver here and I'll see what I can find out :)

Have you installed an updated video or sound card since before the BSOD? Or, what did you do before you received a BSOD

Usually when Windows throws a BSOD, it is nearly always a driver issue. Once we can nail down the error codes, we can see what's what.

I'll try to help you resolve this.

A.

Hi, thanks for trying to solve my problem. Just realized this post has been going on for years!! Thats why it got so many answers. Anyway, my machine is set to not reboot on a bsod, so I have noted down what it said. I don't know what the offending driver(s) are, but maybe you can understand the message better than me. I haven't made any changes to my computer before the bsod including not installing updated video or sound cards. I can't remember EXACTLY what I did before the bsod, b/c i've had this problem over a month, but any changes were very minor. Please view my question at: http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/287035-35-urgent-pr...

It contains all the info you need including a link to a youtube video and links to my event logs I uplaoded.

Thanks for helping.
February 19, 2013 12:03:09 PM

Ok message me directly - adam [at] cappsie [dot] com

We'll take it offline :)

A.
February 19, 2013 12:11:13 PM

Oops ok will reply in the correct thread :)
February 19, 2013 12:47:35 PM

Cappsie said:
I don't recall finding a replacement for .dat file extraction, but I did look. I think the main issue is that this is a proprietary Microsoft utility and as such only the MS tool works.

Keep me posted about the MigWiz though.

A.

Hello cappsie

Sorry for the delay, have been doing other installs and updates.
The migwiz is version 5.1.2600.5512. And is currently SP3. Whats next?!
!