System Reserved drive as E: after installing SSD

G

Hello,
I just installed a new SSD to my computer and I've just noticed that there's an additional drive called E: on my computer along with my SSD :C and my HDD :F

I followed the steps, disconnected my HDD, fresh install of windows etc...

But I just wondered if it's fine to leave it or should I get rid of it. Also another question is how can I get my anti-virus software which is on my HDD to run on my SSD?

An antivirus will need to be completely reinstalled in your case. The system reserved space usually isn't assigned a drive letter. Go into Disk Management. (Rightl click my computer, manage, disk management.) see on which disk the E: drive is on physically. if it's on your HDD when it should be ok to delete.

G

Windows 7

And yes the system reserved E: is on the F: Drive

hello... Windows 7 created that partition during a previous install on that hardrive... their new secret file hidding place for... what ever? system restore/boot info... etc. You can hide it... but I don't think Windows will let you delete it.

When you have 2 drives with Windows installed on them, you will see the "system reserved" partition from each(should be about 100mb).

You can remove its drive letter in disk management so you don't have to see it any more.

If you remove it, It has to be ONLY removed from the hard drive(and plan not to boot from the hard drive any more) and not the SSD(if you boot from the SSD it's system reserved should not show, but if you boot from the hard drive, the SSD's system reserved will show up.)

To hide it(recommended)...

Hold START(key) and hit R(key)
type or copy and past "diskmgmt.msc" into the RUN box and hit enter.

You can right click on the System Reserved that has a letter assigned to it and select "Change Drive Letters and Paths"

You can now "Remove" the letter from the drive. You will see a warning say YES and the drive should go away from my computer, but still be usable if you never want to boot from the hard drive.

Now if you do boot from the hard drive you will see the System Reserved on the SSD, you can remove it the same way.

This just removes the drive from my computer and not the data on it.

EDIT, just an idea what you may see. Note that Win8 has a LARGER system reserve, but it is all the same(still does the same thing). I kept both but also have each able to boot each others partition as well, so even if i loose one system reserved, it is easy to boot either os and fix the system reserved partition.
partitionsj.png

It is the boot/diagnostics partition, without it, you can not boot windows.

You only technically need ONE system reserve partition on a computer as it can even boot other hard drives/SSDs, but that is another set of configurations all together.

G

Thanks alot just what I needed :)