Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Which drive should windows be on?

Tags:
  • Hard Drives
  • Games
  • Storage
Last response: in Storage
Share
February 2, 2013 3:43:37 PM

i am new to this forum. but i had a quick question regarding windows and which drive to install it and games on. i got a new seagate 1tb 7200rpm sata 6gb/s 64mb cache hard drive and an older seagate 160gb 7200rpm sata 3gb/s 8mb cache drive. my question is would it be better the put windows on the smaller drive and all my games on the faster one? or is it best to just put the OS and games on the faster drive and maybe just use the slower one for backups or whatever? i just dont know if having a separate drive purely for windows would be better, even tho its on a slower drive, or just to have everything on the better faster drive. or should i just use the faster drive, but put windows in its own partition and games in another. any help would be appreciated.


PS: i have all my videos and music and downloads on an external hard drive so stuff like that isnt a factor when i asked my questions

More about : drive windows

February 2, 2013 3:56:18 PM

also, should i bother changing the cluster size or just leave it default for games and windows?
m
0
l
February 3, 2013 8:38:27 AM

i dont know exactly what you want to do, but if i was at your place i wud have installed OS on 160GB HDD and shud kept other data on 1tb. Another thing, yo want get much speed as u shud get by installing OS on 1tb due to less cache memory on 160Gb HDD.

Still you can wait for some one else to reply.
m
0
l
Related resources
February 4, 2013 2:12:39 AM

atulmaniya said:
i dont know exactly what you want to do, but if i was at your place i wud have installed OS on 160GB HDD and shud kept other data on 1tb. Another thing, yo want get much speed as u shud get by installing OS on 1tb due to less cache memory on 160Gb HDD.

Still you can wait for some one else to reply.



so basically u are saying to put the OS and all my games on the 1tb instead of the OS on the smaller, slower drive?
m
0
l
February 4, 2013 3:03:54 AM

SmokaDaSplif said:
so basically u are saying to put the OS and all my games on the 1tb instead of the OS on the smaller, slower drive?


Yes, it will boot up faster on the 1tb drive compared to the 160gb drive. I would install games/important programs on 1tb and non important programs on 160gb.
m
0
l
February 4, 2013 3:33:29 AM

Antares16M26 said:
Yes, it will boot up faster on the 1tb drive compared to the 160gb drive. I would install games/important programs on 1tb and non important programs on 160gb.



ok. so should i put the OS in a separate partition from the games? or just leave it as 1 partition?
m
0
l
February 5, 2013 3:35:56 PM

also, i just read some stuff that having the OS on a separate drive would reduce stuttering while gaming, but im not sure if that will make a difference if using a slower drive for the OS
m
0
l
February 6, 2013 2:21:30 PM

you can keep 160Gb without partition and install everything on it. You will be having more than enough space to worry about.
What you shud be keeping on 1TB is your saved games and preferences and other documents and viedeos and movies and Installations of games. Remember Installations of games and not folder in which you have installed games.
m
0
l
!