Is the Intel i7 Core 2600k Sandy Bridge good?

spartakush

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2011
My cousin works at Intel up in norcal and I've been asking him for help on building a computer recently. He told me that with his discount he can get me this http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115070&cm_re=2600k_i7-_-19-115-070-_-Product
for $159. I know it's a good deal but itself the processor, is it a good one? I heard a couple days back about a new processor called Sandy Bridge at CES which combines the CPU and GPU together like the 360 does. It might sound off because I'm not really into the computer/tech scene but that's what I made of it from reading a article. Is this the processor that uses the Sandy Bridge technology announced at CES?

Thanks!

spartakush

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2011

If there is a GPU in it does it mean I don't need a video card?

Your friend couldn't answer that question?

You couldn't google i5-2600k?

spartakush

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2011

I don't have my cousins main email address so I have too get through to him by an old one he uses and he only checks once a week.
I did google it but I didn't understand some of the things posted about it.

I have a question for you, why do you have to be an ass?

suteck

Distinguished
Yes, that's what it means. As PsychoSaysDi says, you will need an H 67 board to go with it if you want to use the on die gpu. It's = to or better than a 5450 amd card so It will be a pretty good deal. Not made for the newest games at high resolutions but you can watch hd movies and stuff. You didn't mention what you were going to do with your new build so I'm not sure what you want it to do. But if you just want to do, graphic normal things, movies, utube videos and things like that You'll love it.

And don't let him bother you. It's an i7 any way not an i5 LOL

spartakush

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2011
Thanks for the help. I think I'll be playing some games like Starcraft 2 at 1920x1080. Any recommendations for a Nvidia video card? I can also get a discount on Nvidia video cards because my aunt works for them.

Well damn. Wish I could get discounts like that. I'll be pressing the Order button when my tax refund gets direct-deposited, and I could use the extra savings!

Anyway...

If you're getting a discount, try for a GTX 570. Very near the top of the line, and still a good deal even at non-discounted prices.