Sign in with
Your question

Pci express

Last response: in Motherboards
September 19, 2011 3:23:51 AM

Hello,after a failed bios gpu flash on a 6870 that later i got working, i noticed that if i stayed on pci e 1 i get slow graphics and in second pci-e i get full speed is their a repair or fix so i can get again pci-e at full speed?

More about : pci express

September 19, 2011 4:30:51 PM

are you sure the MB does not have its 8X pcie at the top? many MB mgf's have the top PCI-E at 8X and the second one at 16X. i would double check your boards layout. there are also settings in the bios to change pci-e link speeds (most high end boards have this anyway)
m
l
a b Ĉ ASUS
a c 218 V Motherboard
September 19, 2011 5:21:43 PM

What is the ASUS model of the motherboard in question?

On most motherboards the primary PCI Express x16 slot is the one located closest to the CPU.
m
l
Related resources
September 20, 2011 5:25:47 PM

no nothing like 8X, im talking about a ASUS m4A89TD pro usb3 and previewsly i had this mobo doing great in the first pci-e 1 but after flashing the card with a toxic sapphire 6870 bios it just failed and crippled my pci-e 1

what i fear is that all my crossfire plan is to *** since i cant rely on that lane and meanwhile ill use the second one, but i was asking if their is a fix for this

i tried bios flashing, reinstallins windows, even trying ubuntu, cleaning the pci e lane and checking for bent pins below or anything that might be a reason

i hate this since i payed top dollar for my motherboard
m
l
September 20, 2011 5:55:17 PM

i have had asus boards fail as well, i switched from asus to msi back in 2000 and never had another issue.

you may end up needing to buy a new board, i woudl call asus and check on teh warranty. im not sure what asus warranty periods are but i know my MSI is a 5 year. even if its out of warranty i have had good luck with some msi and gigabyte boards ive aquired in the past and paying a small fee for the MFG to repair/replace them while out of warranty.
m
l
a b Ĉ ASUS
a c 218 V Motherboard
September 20, 2011 7:29:40 PM

What is the actual brand and model of the HD 6870 graphics card?

What PCI Express x16 slot was the graphics card in when you re-flashed its BIOS.

FYI @ncc74656: On the ASUS M4A89TD PRO/USB3 motherboard its AMD 890FX chipset runs the two PCI Express 2.0 x16 slots at x16/x16.
m
l
September 22, 2011 10:31:31 PM

yeah thats why i bought the board, because of the 2 16x lanes which at the time was kind of odd since not every board had that

my 6870 is actually a Sapphire 6870 which is right now running a HIS bios, i had a pair of 5770 in crossfire also by sapphire befoe, after i sold the 5770s i planned to go 6870 crossfire but for some reason managed not buying the other but had my plan to making it so, now it seems i will buy another board or buy a 6970 or something similar like GTX570 or 580 cause if i think it over i will try to go sandy bridge and manage some 500 with just a 6870 crossfire oh and a new PSU, lets go 700 dlls more or less, and if i buy just a GTX580 i will blow anything out of the water or a 6970 may be enough and is 300 something, i fancey those Direct CU from ASUS 3 SLOT cards huge!!!! make suggestions keeping in mind that i may have this thing for a year or so, the thing no one tells you about buying big sold VGA vs 2 middle class for a crossfire is that its alot easier to re-sell the 2 middle ones
m
l
September 22, 2011 10:35:45 PM

oh and i flashed the card in the now busted pci-ex lane
m
l
a b Ĉ ASUS
a c 218 V Motherboard
September 23, 2011 3:35:58 AM

Did you have a problem finding a working Sapphire HD 6870 BIOS?

Where did you get the HIS BIOS from?

Either HIS or Sapphire has deviated from the reference design.

Can you post a TechPowerUp GPU-Z image for your card?
m
l
September 24, 2011 4:37:44 AM

let me explain with te bios flasing what happened step by step , i have the normal sappire core 900 mem 1050, i then found out that HIS made an exact reference card but had core 920 and mem 1120 and i flashed it in DOS mode atiflash -p -f HIS6870.bin and it all worked perfectly for 8 monts or so, i then saw that sappire made a Toxic edition with 970core and mem 1150 and that flash is what made all things wrong, first i saw that the card wouldnt boot but fortunatly i had a X1800 lying around and flashed it back to the original sapphire bios which i saved even before going with the HIS bios 8 months or so ago, and it came back to life and worked, but then i realized that some games ran slow or slower, and decided to run 3Dmark 11 and scored 3700 instead of the usual 4400, i started to freak out since i thougt it was the VGA card and tried re-flasing it with the SAPPHIRE and later with the HIS one and still scored low having no problems with boots and 2D all seemed fine even Bluray i thougt maybe it was the OS and reinstalled windows 7 and still low scores arrrggg and ten it came to me, maybe the pci-e has gone to 8x or 4x and decided to look for a solution but meanwhile to support my theory is that i moved the video card to the second pci-e 16x and scores and games went back again to normal.

if its just config, pcie dont have a speed adjustment as AGP had, in GPU-z says its still 16X, another question, is 6870 crippled in a 8X lane or would it have to go to 4X to see that diference, i ask cause my brother has a 6850 and maybe if its 8x i can still go crossfire but with the 6850s what u think

m
l
!