Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Quality of TIM and Applying it! Help Please!

Last response: in Systems
October 25, 2010 3:48:33 AM

I have read like 100 diff ways and i have no clue if i did a good job or not to be honest or if the TIM i used was any good

I have a Phenom II X4 965 BE.

I have a CM Hyper 212+

i want to OC my CPU....when i installed the CM hyper 212+ i used the TIM that it came with (is that good enough or should i get some arctic 5 silver and apply that? will i notice a diff?

some notes I orig had CPU idling around 27-28C but this is before OCing (would load at about 47C running 4 workers on Prime95)
After reading toms article on using AOD Utility to overclock Black Edition CPUs it recommended disabling some things in the BIOS...most noticeable C1E and Cool N Quiet. Doing both of these i noticed increased my idle temps but didnt change my load (i now idle around 30C or so) however somehow my load seems to have gone down to like 45C? seems weird lol.....

anyways moving now.....

what i did was, I applied the TIM directly to the Hyper 212+ base i filled in the gaps between the pipes and the base like i was told (used sticky at top of forum)

then i placed 2 small strips (like i saw on that sticky/link in the benchmarkreviews for applying TIM review) i didnt spread the strips out i simply placed the HSF onto the CPU and tightened the plate on as tight as i could w/o over tightening the retention bracket.

did i do this right? or shoulda i spread the 2 strips out?

also was the TIM that came with the 212+ good enough or should i re-apply using artic 5?

More about : quality tim applying

a b à CPUs
October 25, 2010 6:26:11 AM

Unless you disabled thermal protection shutdown, just start it up, bench it, and see what you get for temps. Worst case scenario, it overheats and shuts itself down. No Worries, CPU's arn't as fragile as people like to think (unless you boosted your voltages to something rediculous)
m
l
a b à CPUs
October 25, 2010 7:03:46 AM

Sounds like you used my method for applying TIM to heatpipe direct-touch coolers. You should be fine as long as you managed to use a minimal amount. The only thing about that write-up is that it could lead people to use too much paste.

Yep, just re-read that old post. I think, as long as those lines you made were thin lines, you are fine. Just make sure all of your core temps are about the same. If the TIM was uneven or wrong the core temps would show it.

The TIM that came with the cooler is at least OK. No need to replace it.
m
l
Related resources
October 25, 2010 9:49:12 AM

if you were to replace the TIM youd probly only see a difference of 1-2 degrees C at the very most, not really worth it tbh.
m
l
October 25, 2010 1:16:28 PM

ok thanks

yah i was just wondering moreso if i APPLIED the TIM correctly

i used Proximons guide

so i WASNT supposed to spread those 2 lines out just put them and mount?
m
l

Best solution

a b à CPUs
October 25, 2010 6:43:55 PM

The two surfaces are very flat already. Lapping might improve that a bit but is usually not needed.

The "standard" method for applying TIM is to put a rice grain-sized drop in the center of the PSU and let pressure spread it out. Because HDT coolers have grooves that would channel and stop the TIM as it spreads, I use that method.

If your temps are fine using HWmonitor, RealTemp, or Core Temp, stop worrying.
October 25, 2010 6:45:26 PM

ok...but what are "fine temps" for a AMD Phenom II X4 965 BE?
m
l
a b à CPUs
October 25, 2010 7:09:57 PM

62C is max load temp.

Probably +15C over ambient would be good for idle.
m
l
October 25, 2010 10:07:30 PM

45C under Prime?
Sounds more that good to me. Are you in a cold room?

I managed to re-do my TIM and airflow recently and knocked 15C off my load temp, my idle temps didn't change.The closer you get to the air temp, the less effect air cooling will have. The further away from air temp, the more effect air cooling will have.

So when more heat is produced, far more will be taken away by the air.

I find that for good quality TIM application, clean both contact surfaces until shiney (Ethanol cleaner or other good stuff and lint free cloth), apply some TIM to both, then rub the TIM of with a clean bit of lint-free cloth (no cleaning fluid) until it is removed leaving a very dull but clean surface. This has a similar effect to lapping. Then apply the "rice grains" of TIM across the cores and gently but firmly attach the HSF.

I got a difference of 10 Degrees when using a decent TIM (Ceramique). Although that particular TIM is an A*SE to use.
m
l
November 2, 2010 12:16:15 AM

Best answer selected by jasonp12.
m
l
!