Sign in with
Your question

Powercolor 5750 strange artifacting

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
September 6, 2010 2:28:25 AM

I have a VGA problem which is keeping me away from my requisite gaming/relaxing time, and I was wondering if any of you would take a moment to help me out?

Recently, I purchased a HD5750 512MB video card from Powercolor. Right out of the box, it displayed strange artifacting in all 3D games, new and old (Starcraft 2, Neverwinter Nights 2 for example). Thinking the card was at fault, I shipped it out for the RMA process. A few weeks later, I have a new card of the same model, and it exhibits exactly the same behaviour.

The artifacting manifests mainly in flickering textures, and sometimes in a rapidly flashing screen of one color or another. It is also episodic, and by that I mean it happens about 50% of the time when I load up a game. It can be affected by graphics setting changes or alt-tabbing, which sometimes makes the game freeze for about 30 seconds, then the screen will go black, and will come back with everything running just fine. Most of the time, however, nothing I do will make it go away.

I have tried isolating other components: memtest gives me the OK, and so does Prime95. I also tried this card on another system - same problems there. I have tried messing around with the ATI Overdrive feature in CCC, but from what I hear, it's not very reliable. Any suggestions or theories on what may be causing my artifact woes, and ways to correct the problem? I would be happy to reply with screenshots, more info, etc.

Windows 7 x64
M4A785TD-M EVO
4GB Corsair DDR3
AMD Athlon II X3 440 (4th core unlocked and stable)
Creative X-Fi Platinum
a b U Graphics card
September 6, 2010 2:38:02 AM

I'd suggest your RMA it and request a card from a different manufacturer, HIS, Asus or Sapphire for example.
m
l
a c 272 U Graphics card
September 6, 2010 2:46:35 AM

decode said:
I'd suggest your RMA it and request a card from a different manufacturer, HIS, Asus or Sapphire for example.

RMA'ing is normally back to the manufacture so how would the OP be able to get a card from a different manufacturer?
m
l
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
September 6, 2010 2:49:31 AM

Usually, In our country at-least RMA'ing means returning to the supplier who then RMA's it to the manufacturer. its through this way that you can change your brand's etc usually.
m
l
a c 272 U Graphics card
September 6, 2010 2:52:40 AM

Tegid said:
Recently, I purchased a HD5750 512MB video card from Powercolor. Right out of the box, it displayed strange artifacting in all 3D games, new and old (Starcraft 2, Neverwinter Nights 2 for example). Thinking the card was at fault, I shipped it out for the RMA process. A few weeks later, I have a new card of the same model, and it exhibits exactly the same behaviour.

The highlighted bits would suggest that the OP has had to RMA to Powercolour.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
September 6, 2010 2:54:13 AM

Mousemonkey said:
The highlighted bits would suggest that the OP has had to RMA to Powercolour.

I read that before I posted. It's just a case of misunderstanding, As I said in our country it's usually done differently.
m
l
a c 272 U Graphics card
September 6, 2010 2:58:00 AM

decode said:
I read that before I posted. It's just a case of misunderstanding, As I said in our country it's usually done differently.

Different countries, different rules so it's never advisable to think that the OP of any thread is in the same country as yourself.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
September 6, 2010 3:02:14 AM

Mousemonkey said:
Different countries, different rules so it's never advisable to think that the OP of any thread is in the same country as yourself.

It wasn't so much thinking he was in the same country, it was more thinking that his countries standard practices were the same as mine.

~ New Zealand FTW!
m
l
a c 272 U Graphics card
September 6, 2010 3:08:30 AM

decode said:
It wasn't so much thinking he was in the same country, it was more thinking that his countries standard practices were the same as mine.

~ New Zealand FTW!

By that thinking there is no such thing as lifetime warranties as they are not available in my country and as all countries are the same then XFX and EVGA are lying gits.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
September 6, 2010 3:13:56 AM

You have me confused, However I think it may be better to continue this conversation on in PM's seeing as this is quite off-topic.
m
l
September 6, 2010 3:33:12 AM

Indeed, I did RMA to Powercolor. They told me they sent me a new card, which means this one is bogus too (unlikely), or there's something not jiving in my setup. What it could be, I really don't know, and it's driving me batty. I've tried it in Win XP 32-bit as well, and the problem remains.
m
l
a c 272 U Graphics card
September 6, 2010 3:45:35 AM

Tegid said:
Indeed, I did RMA to Powercolor. They told me they sent me a new card, which means this one is bogus too (unlikely), or there's something not jiving in my setup. What it could be, I really don't know, and it's driving me batty. I've tried it in Win XP 32-bit as well, and the problem remains.

Have you tried putting your CPU back to it's standard 3 cores?
m
l
September 6, 2010 6:09:53 AM

Done, and no change resulted. I've also done a clean install of the latest Catalyst suite.
m
l
a c 272 U Graphics card
September 6, 2010 3:17:18 PM

Do you have any way of testing the card in another machine? Or do you have any another card to use in your machine?
m
l
September 6, 2010 3:47:04 PM

Sadly, I don't. However, I was using this card before I upgraded my mobo, CPU, and RAM, and the artifacts were still showing up. \

All 2D applications have no trouble at all. For example, regular browsing and word processing is unaffected.
m
l
September 9, 2010 3:39:41 AM

I've been doing some research online, and now I'm wondering if the issue may be related to power supply? I currently have an Antec Earthwatts 380. I've read that the 5750 requires at least 500W. In my case, if there truly isn't enough power, wouldn't that mean that I would be seeing blue screen errors, or at least artifacts 100% of the time? Someone please tell me if I'm on the right track.
m
l
a c 153 U Graphics card
September 9, 2010 4:16:54 AM

Tegid said:
I've been doing some research online, and now I'm wondering if the issue may be related to power supply? I currently have an Antec Earthwatts 380. I've read that the 5750 requires at least 500W. In my case, if there truly isn't enough power, wouldn't that mean that I would be seeing blue screen errors, or at least artifacts 100% of the time? Someone please tell me if I'm on the right track.

Its possible, if you know someone with a better PSU that you can try out...
m
l
September 9, 2010 5:00:55 AM

More research confirms that the minimum requirements for the card are listed as 450W on Powercolor's website. The new plan is to try out a different PSU, but I'll probably have to go out and buy one since I don't know of any friends that just have one lying around.
m
l
a c 153 U Graphics card
September 9, 2010 6:34:13 AM

Those recommendations are exaggerated, althought its entirely possible your PSU is the culprit regardless.
m
l
September 12, 2010 5:48:15 AM

I found a friend who is willing to put the card in his system for testing. In other news, I underclocked the card as far as it would go in ATI Overdrive. At first I thought things may have changed since the artifacts were gone for a few days. Now they're back.
m
l
September 17, 2010 5:20:24 AM

In my friend's system, everything was fine. We switched between a couple different 3D apps, and ran some benchmarks with Call of Pripyat and Furmark. I went out and got a 600W power supply today (OCZ StealthXStream2). Things were fine for about an hour, but the artifacts came back when I was transitioning between areas in Neverwinter Nights 2. When this happens, about 5-30 seconds later, everything stops, the screen goes black, and then things return to normal with a message up top that says "display driver has stopped responding and has recovered".

I'm at my wits end. Does anyone have any idea what is going on?
m
l
November 3, 2010 6:31:19 AM

Tegid, did you ever come to a solution for your problem? I'm having the exact same issue with my EVGA GeForce 8800GTX, same process. I haven't tried a new PSU, but I replaced my motherboard, RMA'd the GPU and received a new one, same issues :/ 

Argh!

Let me know if you found a solution!
m
l
November 10, 2010 4:01:25 AM

@docmars, no, I have not found a solution yet. I have sent my card back for RMA once again, upon recommendation of a Powercolor tech rep who led me through a whole series of steps to try and diagnose the problem. In the meantime, I'm running an old 8600 GT until the new card gets back. So far it's been good, and works flawlessly in Win XP x86. I am, however, still having issues in Win 7 x64 (the dreaded artifacting is back).
m
l
December 14, 2010 2:46:54 PM

Time for an update:

In my quest to diagnose the problem, I got my hands on another AM3 DDR3 motherboard. After installing nothing but the bare minimum of drivers to run Starcraft II in Win 7 x64, the artifacts were still showing up! This was disheartening to say the least.

Next, I got the idea from another forum discussing the HD5770 (big brother of the HD5750) to test with only one stick of RAM. Interesting results here: one stick gives me artifacts, and the other does not! Finally, I thought, this was the source of my problem - bad RAM. Strangely enough, running Memtest86+ on each stick individually doesn't come up with any errors whatsoever, even after running all night. I experienced the same results when moving back to the original motherboard.

Now, however, there is a new problem. There's a buzzing noise coming from my computer when I'm playing games, and only when there are 3D images being displayed (doesn't make noise in menus, for example). I think it's coming from the GPU, but there's no way to be sure. Also, the manual fan control on the video card no longer works. Finally, the system shuts down when the GPU reaches 65-70 degrees C. Correct me if I'm wrong, but those temps aren't a big deal for a video card.

Mystery! At this point, I'm almost ready to suck up the cost of the card and purchase a different brand instead, because eventually I'm going to spend the better part of that in shipping for RMA's (this is my third card).
m
l
January 16, 2011 1:07:00 PM

I was interested in your experiences. I have a ASUS M4A79XTD EVO motherboard, 1 new stick of 4GB ram (DDR-3)(Crucial) and a PowerColor HD5750 1GB DDR5 fanless with its elaborate heat dissipating tubes. I have it hooked up to my Sony 52" Wega. I bought this card primarily as an interface for my media center because it provided an HDMI interface. But I paid the extra money to get a quiet card that would have what it takes to do the majority of the graphic-intensive for games should I find some time in my future to explore that avenue. I used the PowerColor card for 10 months in my media center and it worked great. I did not test it on any games, so I cannot tell you how it would have performed. But I can tell you that one day I turned on my computer and --> blank screen. I send the card back and got a card returned to me after several weeks. PowerColor told me absolutely nothing about the first card or its replacement, so I assume they have given me a refurbished or perhaps new card. In the interim waiting for the card I purchased an ASUS HD4800 series card for cheap money so I could keep enjoying the media center. After rebate --> $30. It works great as far as displaying HD and BluRay. So I get the PowerColor card back, plug it in, fire it up, and after about 5 minutes-- the machine freezes. I restart twice to get a fresh start for testing. It runs for about 15 minutes, screen goes black, pops back on after about 5 seconds and I get the error message, "Display driver stopped responding and has recovered" Then, as soon as I try to continue, the machine freezes. I spent way too much time experimenting with software including a fresh install of Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit. I tried the latest drivers from PowerColors site and ATI (these were much more current as you might expect). The same problems persisted for the better part of a week alternating between the freezes and the screen blip with the error message and then freeze. I gave up and tossed the ASUS card back in. All problems disappeared.

In my opinion, based on my experiences and those experiences that I have read about on the message boards, this model and all its cousins are pieces of crap. I asked Powercolor to give me an upgrade to a different model to prove to me that this is just a bad design in their line-up and that they do, in fact, make cards that work consistently. If anyone has had good luck with other PowerColor products I would be interested. Otherwise, I will probably stick with my existing ASUS card until I really feel the urge and find the time to start gaming.
m
l
!