Sign in with
Your question

Is this a good deal?

Last response: in Systems
October 25, 2010 8:23:00 AM

Hello, everyone. I'm in the market for a new PC for gaming. Mostly WoW and Oblivion, really, although I'd still want something that could do titles such as Metro 2033 well. I was going to buy a gtx 460, Athlon 2 x4 635, a mobo to go with these (I forget the exact model, to be honest) and some ram. All in all, with a copy of Win7 it came out to roughly $470. Here lies my predicament: Some guy is willing to sell me a used rig with these stats:
Antec "900 Two" Full Tower Desktop
Corsair GX800 800watt Power Supply
EVGA 680I SLI motherboard
Intel Q6600 Core2Quad CPU
4x1 GB DDR2 800 RAM
Asus ATI 4890 Video Card
250 GB WD HDD
Corsair A70 CPU Cooling Tower with AS5
(copied exactly from his posting)
He wants $340 for this. I know the 4890 is still a fairly respected card, and I know that all together 340 seems like a pretty good deal, but I was wondering if it is worth it considering the drawbacks. Mainly the fact that it's an LGA775 socket, uses ddr2 ram, and doesn't support dx11. I don't usually tend to upgrade often, so it seems like I'd be safer with buying the newer parts and making a PC with those, but I'd like some advice. Thanks.
(My apologies if this is in the wrong category; this one seemed like an okay fit.)

More about : good deal

October 25, 2010 8:30:23 AM

^ If the parts still have good warranty left, are in good condition, then that is a very good deal(If you look at the parts - Corsair gaming series 800W PSU- I think its GS 800 and not GX 800 so just make sure..., Corsair A70 cooling system and Antec 900 "Two" which can be reused in future builds too)...
October 25, 2010 12:02:43 PM

Yup! if the warranty is still valid, it is a really good deal.
If the warranty is no longer valid, it is just a slightly above average good deal.
I would take the deal without a second thought, if I were in need of a PC.

Related resources
October 25, 2010 6:41:39 PM

The guy said he bought it all from Newegg just a couple of months ago, so it should be under warranty. Will dx11 and ddr3 and am3 (or whatever Intel equivalent there is) cpus be important in the reasonable future though? I figure I'd rather pay a bit more now for a modernised system than pay it six months later anyways after finding out it's necessary.
October 26, 2010 3:46:35 AM

^ DirectX 11 might go mainstream(in usage) maybe in 2011...Also even if you want newer CPUs, that case, PSU and cooling makes a solid base for a good system, so you can upgrade just the CPU, mobo and RAM...
October 26, 2010 5:09:04 AM

Yup! Go for it!
The system can not do DX11 just because of the GPU, the rest is good.
The proc itself can also still keep up with most of todays high end games.
The only thing you would probaly need to replace a little sooner is only the GPU.
Trust me and gkay!
!