Cloning internal HDD OS to new internal SSD

Onnajy

Honorable
Feb 2, 2013
Hi Everyone!

First off thank you for taking the time to read this.

Now, I'll get straight to the point. I have a 500GB HDD 7200RPM, works fine but I do a lot video editing and bought recently a OCZ Vertex 4 512GB SSD. I currently have my internal HDD in the first bay of my m17xR3 and the second bay is empty. I am planning to install the Vertex unto the second bay. Unfortunately that's all I know on what to do from there. I also currently have an external 1TB Hard drive. So far all I've done is made a back up with PC restore that ate up 160GB of my external HD in 1 run.

So yeah lost from here. I've searched youtube and the OCZ forums and have read a lot but each segment seems to address different scenarios and it's hard for me to discern which one is relevant to me so I thought I'd try asking here for help.

So again, I have 2 bays in my m17x R3 one of which is being used by my HDD. The second bay I intend to install a SSD unto after which I would like to copy my current files (Everything, OS, Apps, documents etc.) into. I also have my windows 7 disc and resource disc if that helps?

Anyway, I am sure everyone has helpful methods to going about this, I am simply looking for the most efficient. Something where I won't have to download a ridiculous amount of applications if possible.

Solution
You have correctly identified that 'cloning' is what you need to do. After you clone the current disk on to the SSD, make the SSD the first boot device.

I use Apricorn's Drive wire for my cloning purposes. There are other programs that will do the same. Acronis, EASEUS, Seatools (will work only on Seagate drives), DriveImage,
You have correctly identified that 'cloning' is what you need to do. After you clone the current disk on to the SSD, make the SSD the first boot device.

I use Apricorn's Drive wire for my cloning purposes. There are other programs that will do the same. Acronis, EASEUS, Seatools (will work only on Seagate drives), DriveImage,

Solution

Onnajy

Honorable
Feb 2, 2013

I see. So when I clone my original system I simply use one of these applications which handles the copying process? Then from there make the SSD my primary boot drive from BIOS? Also, is Apricorn free?

Thank you for your response!

Correct!

Apricorn software is free, but you will need their 'Drivewire' which is about $35. On the other hand EASUS is free and you can use your existing connected drives as-is. Go ahead and try it and you will get a better idea of what needs to be done. I think DriveImage too is free but I have not used it.