New build, need input.

microterf

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2009
Ok, so I'm planning a new build, where I'm at so far is...

Core i7 980x $1000

Asus Rampage III Extreme. $400

RAM 24GB 6x4GB ~ $700

These are the 3 things that I am pretty sure I'm going to get.

For video cards, I'm probably going to end up getting either 3 6970s or 2 6990s, or possibly 580s?? Probably not going to go with Nvidia though, but I really like the scaling of their cards compared to AMD's as of late. Would like input to help make a decision here.

for boot drive, I found an OCZ RevoDrive 240GB for $630. PCIe slot, that's bootable, I think I want to go with that, because of the crazy read/right speeds (up to 540MBps/480MBps.) This too is where I would like some input (possibly RAID 0?)

I have the computer now that I'm not sure if I want to sell it, or use parts from it in this next build, or what. But here is what I am currently running.

Case: Corsair 800D

PSU : 1200W PC Power and Cooling

Watercooled PowerColor Radeon 5870.

OCZ Vertex LE 100GB SSD drive

I have a water loop set up for my Radeon and cpu right now, with a 360 radiator.

Which brings up another question I have, cooling. I am considering phase change cooling (possibly Vapochill Lightspeed), or I could obviously keep the Loop that I have set up now, but I found it a pain in the ass setting up, and really wouldn't want to do that again. The other option was the H70, which is more than likely what I'll do if I don't go with Phase change. So, anyone used phase change? how hard is it to set up, etc..??

I love the case, and I love the power supply, so I'll probaly use those in this next build, but nothing is set in stone yet.

Once again, any critiques, or suggestions will be appreciated.

MockingbirdUK

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2008
What exactly are you doing that requires 24Gb of RAM and that amount of graphics power?

It seems a collosally powerful (and expensive) system to build - for gaming, the real-world price/performance change over a 'normal' high-end system makes it a very, very pricey option. What display harware are you using? If it's 1x 1980x1200 screen then that setup makes no sense, if it's 3x 2560x1600 then that's different. If it's not for gaming, and is for something else, then knowing the details might make recommending builds easier/more suitable.

If it's just the quest to build the fastest thing you can for its own sake, and expense be damned, then say so and I'm sure you'll hear the fantastic dreams of every system builder here come pouring out.

microterf

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2009

I didn't really specify, but this will be for running multiple VMs, and eyefinity gaming. I currently have a 3008wfp, and 2 26" Viewsonics for 5760*1200 for eyefinity, but I plan on switching out those viewsonics and getting 2 more 30" monitors. I really want to run 7680x1600 for gaming.

So essentially, yes, I want to build the fastest thing I can for ~$6k.

MockingbirdUK

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2008
Bloody hell, speccing a system like that is a geek dream come true!

The HD 69xx series will probably be what you want, I agree. Hopefully they should be out soon (with accompanying benchmarks) to check they'll handle all that.

As for liquid/state change cooling, that's beyond me I'm afraid. With that much serious local hardware, what kind of networking/online hardware are you using?

microterf

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2009
network hardware? I mean it's for home use, but I have always used the onboard gigabit port, I have a gig switch at home for use between my 2 PCs. for internet, I have RR turbo, which gets me around 14Mbps down avg.

MockingbirdUK

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2008
Nice!

Yeah, I was pretty much just checking you weren't going to say "Wireless B to my dialup on the other side of the lead-lined room." or something :D

There are "Gamer" spec add-in network cards that claim to reduce latency appreciably (theoretically, they also shift a small amount of CPU load onto themselves, but with a system like that I don't know how much difference that would make), but I have never used one so can't really comment on them. Might be worth checking out in more detail if you've got a budget like this and want the absolute best.

microterf

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2009
I might check into that, but honestly I have only played multiplayer once, that was with MW2, and got my @ss kicked, so generally I always just play single player. I love racing games and FSx, (Eyefinity is great for these)

indeed. My usual build is about $800-1000, but I build a new one every 2-3 years