Reinstalling windows on an SSD/HDD

squatticus

Honorable
Feb 2, 2013
~currently have an SSD/HDD setup, games and important stuff on the SSD and music/videos on the HDD

long story short i goofed up and want to format the SSD but i want to back it up to the HDD first

questions
~I know im not supposed to just reformat an SSD so what do i do instead?
~should i upgrade to windows8 or just stick with windows 7? mostly for games and school work
~How can i back the SSD up to another drive thats already in the system?

Hello... there is an option to just, re-load/FIX/write over, your current Windows install, without losing non-Windows directories and files. If your goof up is Virus related... it could follow in a backup.

You can write over/reformat a SSD... there is a limit to how many times you can write to the CHIPs... BUT in your case and use... it will still be good for many years to come.

Back up your Registry for possible editing information, you might need to get certain programs going agian, without a re-install.
Write down driver names to anything special, not found on the internet, like a brand name, no longer in business.
I would try just a direct copy command, of important personal DOC's, music, ETC to your Hardrive.

Windows does have a BACKup utility... But it will just put back, what ever you don't want there any more. A back up should be done, when everything is GOOD, not after.

squatticus

Honorable
Feb 2, 2013

i shouldve been more specific, Im getting random lockups on some programs and I have let my pc get way too unorganized so I wanted to do a fresh install, really I just didnt want to waste the bandwith on redownloading 240gb~ of games and programs