Connecting external HD

Tags:
  • Hard Drives
  • HD
  • External Hard Drive
  • Storage
Last response: in Storage
February 2, 2013 10:51:58 PM

Hello, I have a sata 300 cable not being used in my computer. Can I use it with an adaptor to connect my glyph external hard drive, which has an esata port?

More about : connecting external

Best solution

a c 79 G Storage
February 3, 2013 10:30:52 AM

You would need two adapter cables (one at each end of the SATA cable) so in cost terms that doesn't make sense. Just buy an eSATA cable.
February 3, 2013 6:40:37 PM

phil22 said:
You would need two adapter cables (one at each end of the SATA cable) so in cost terms that doesn't make sense. Just buy an eSATA cable.

My computer does not have an esata outlet to hook into. I was thinking of an esata card and cable, but thought that if I could use the spare sata cable I might get away with that. I think I've seen a cable advertised that has esata at one end and a connector for the internal sata cable (normally used for internal hard drive). It seems like it would work, but I'm not savvy enough to really know.
m
l
Related resources
February 3, 2013 8:02:45 PM

I just was on wikipedia, and found out that internal sata cables are designed to prevent their being used externally. so, I've answered my own question> you can't use an internal sata cable to connect to an esata device.
m
l
a c 79 G Storage
February 3, 2013 8:59:11 PM

Michael, I wish more people were savvy enough to do their own research like you. Glad you found out what you needed to know.

Phillip
m
l
February 10, 2013 9:20:22 PM

Best answer selected by michael diemer.
m
l
!