Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Motherboard speaker weird sound after 1 beep

Last response: in Motherboards
September 19, 2011 2:08:51 PM

Hi everyone,
How's going:-)
Well, coming to topic, i just yesterday moved all my pc parts to a new chassis from previous one to accommodate my new graphic card. All went nice. All parts were working. But my pc didn't make the beep sound.
Figured out that the motherboard speaker ( that tiny 4-pin speaker ). Now when i inserted it and booted off, it just gave weird beeps.
It gives both 1 beep i.e. boot successful and then right after produces a continuous beep as if something's wrong. But really nothing seems malfunctioning.
If i remove the speaker and boot then even it boots up fine with no sign of any problem.
oh enough words, just check this recording i made of that weird sound. What does that mean? Is something really wrong or the speaker itself has gone bad 'cause if something were wrong the pc shouldn't boot at all or atleast shouldn't give that successful boot beep, huh?
Please take the time to hear this recording as it'll give the you the idea i'm talking about.
Here- http://hotfile.com/dl/130182948/50377a3/Sound_clip_03.mp4.html

I bought a new graphic card to play games at max but this problem is scaring me little bit and i don't wanna take the risk. Waited for 1.5 months to get my hands on the card and don't wanna wait any longer. So close yet so far.
Specs if needed-
C2D e7400 @ 3.2 ghz
3gb ddr2 ram
Asus Gtx560ti
GA G31M ES2L Mobo
Corsair cx500 v2 500W
a c 121 V Motherboard
September 19, 2011 2:33:54 PM

When all else fails - Read the manual :D 

page 77.

Q:What do the beeps emitted during the POST mean?
A: The following Award BIOS beep code descriptions may help you identify possible computer problems.
(For reference only.)
1 short: System boots successfully
2 short: CMOS setting error
1 long, 1 short: Memory or motherboard error
1 long, 2 short: Monitor or graphics card error
1 long, 3 short: Keyboard error
1 long, 9 short: BIOS ROM error
Continuous long beeps: Graphics card not inserted properly
Continuous short beeps: Power error
m
l
September 19, 2011 4:22:04 PM

i solved it but thanks anyways for your time reading my thread.
The culprit- System fan fail warning was enabled in bios and i don't have any fan plugged in the SYS_FAN socket of the motherboard. But i do have a fan in chassis connected to the psu. What category does this fan come in then?
m
l
Related resources
a c 121 V Motherboard
September 19, 2011 4:30:40 PM

It is probably due to the fact that the Fan you have plugged into that socket on the MB does not have an RPM sensor, so the MB thinks the fan is not spinning at all even though it is. Try finding a setting in the BIOS to ignore that fan speed and you shouldn't get the beeping / error
m
l
September 19, 2011 5:04:21 PM

well searched a lot but no other setting's there other than which i mentioned earlier.
By the way i don't think its because of any missing sensor but because there's no fan connected to the system fan's socket on the motherboard. Its just empty.
m
l

Best solution

a c 121 V Motherboard
September 19, 2011 5:19:21 PM

It shouldn't give an error, unless the CPU fan slot is not plugged in.
September 19, 2011 6:16:32 PM

itzdanielp said:
It shouldn't give an error, unless the CPU fan slot is not plugged in.

Yeah thats what i'm saying. But it wasn't cpu fan slot, it was system fan- SYS_FAN.
The slot was empty but the setting was turned on. Disabled it and everything's (except hdd) working fine.
For the first time it crossed 46C. It reached 56 while running crysis warhead on enthusiast (maybe the enthusiast setting demanded more textures and stuffs and the hdd spinned faster to cope with and so the increased temp..? ) . Might have to take a look at the hdd physically.
m
l
September 26, 2011 2:07:48 AM

Best answer selected by Perplexahedron.
m
l
!