FAT to NTFS conversion failure

Sulianjeo

Honorable
Feb 2, 2013
Hello,

I have a 300GB secondary hard drive in my system which I partitioned into two parts. They act as my D and E drive. My C Drive is a SSD.

Recently, I downloaded a 8.33 GB file to the E drive which was using the NTFS file system. I wanted to transfer it to my D drive which was in FAT32 format. This did not work because FAT32 does not support such large files. Thus, I tried converting the D Drive to NTFS via the command prompt. (convert d: /fs:ntfs). The command prompt said that because the Drive was in use, I could not perform the change presently and suggested that it perform the change on the next restart. So, I chose that option and restarted my computer. The conversion began and loaded to 100%, saying that my computer would now restart. Thus, it did.

This is where the issue comes: My start up commenced fine, displaying the motherboard branding with bios entry key, etc. As soon as disc check ends, I see a dark screen only to be greeted seconds later by a static screen. Kinda like on TVs with no signal.

Here's an example:
(http://static7.depositphotos.com/1009366/786/i/950/depositphotos_7867368-Television-static.jpg)

It's similar to that image, only the pixels are sharper and there is some colour.

Anyway, this image continues to display until I move my MOUSE. (Yes, my mouse) When I do, boot up recommences and continues in the exact same manner as before and I am once again greeted by a screen of static black white and a variety of ugly colours. Basically, a continuous loop of terror.

Thus, I tried unplugging the SATA power from this hard drive, effectively leaving me with just my 60GB SSD. This solved the problem as I can now boot into Windows. I tried plugging the hard drive back in once I was in Windows and performed a "check for hardware changes" in the device manager to no luck.

I have a lot of important data on that hard drive, but I can't use it. How can I recover this hard drive? I've seen a lot of people get help here from pro's and was wondering if anyone could assist me. I would be eternally grateful.

My Specs:

Windows 8 PRO 64-bit
NZXT PHANTOM
ASUS p8p67 DELUXE
Intel core i5-2500k
Corsair force 60GB (drive C)
G. Skill ripjaws 8GB 1600mhz 7-8-7-24
Sapphire Radeon HD 5770 Vapour-X
hp CDDVDW TS-H653R
Razer Deathadder black edition

atulmaniya

Honorable
Jan 13, 2013
If you connect any HDD with motherboard when your PC is running your system will never recognize it. You have to shutdown your PC and then attach your drive and then re-start your pc.

Secondly try starting your PC in safe-mode and see if you can boot in the windows.

to boot in to the windows you need to press your "Win+F8" key repeatedly as soon as you start PC until the recovery options available, because it wont give you much time to boot in to the safe mode. So dont worry, try few times and you will get to be lucky to boot in to the safe mode.

Sulianjeo

Honorable
Feb 2, 2013

Like I said, I can't boot into windows When that second drive is connected. I have tried safe mode, too. Even when booting into safe mode, the same thing happens. I can only boot properly when my primary drive is connected. Not the second one.

Ubuntu can sometimes mount a damaged NTFS file system when Windows cannot.

Ubuntu Rescue Remix:
http://ubuntu-rescue-remix.org/

Install Ubuntu Rescue Remix to a Flash Drive:
http://www.pendrivelinux.com/install-ubuntu-rescue-remix-to-a-flash-drive/

Sulianjeo

Honorable
Feb 2, 2013

Alright, I made a USB. But, what do I do afterwards? I booted from it, but I don't know what to enter. I have an external hard drive that plugs in via usb so that I can recover the data.