Plan to SLI: PALIT 9800 GT 1GB Green Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

wilem_WAR246810

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2009
Hey guyz, some of u may notice that I planned to buy an HD5770 and replace my PALIT 9800 GT 1GB Green Edition with it, but I think I'll get better performance from SLI'ing it with another PALIT 9800 GT 1GB green edition, or maybe another 9800 GT, maybe not even PALIT or green editon....

Questions:
1. Has anyone tried doing SLIing two PALIT 9800 GT 1GB Green Editions? can u submit me a benchmark Crysis or 3dMark?

2. If I pair a 9800 GT green editon, with a normal non-green one or one with less memory or one from a different manufacturer(in short, two different kind of 9800 GT's), will it work?

I'll be in charge of selling my Coolermaster EX 390 and buying a more capable PSU

I really wanna get rid of my Intel mobo which doesn't let me OC my processor so i don't really care if getting a new SLI mobo will be too costly; this counts as a valid excuse to get a new one :D

Hello
1_I don't have them but the performance should be lower than 2 normal 9800GTs
2_Yes it will work, but one of the cards will raise/down-clock its clocks to reach the slower/faster card
As for PSU,as long as it provides enough power, you'll be fine,having SLI-certification isn't necessary.

There is no clock synch in sli any more and it has been that way for two years. I am running two 9800gt 1gb sli setup for a year now and have for a short time moved them into my amd rig thus used the sli hack. All you need is a board with two pic-e 16x slots even if they run in 8x,8x mode you will see a boost however in cpu demanding games you may see a small penalty. If your cpu isn't up to the task then sli/crossfire will not scale as well as it would with a better cpu. So overclocking is a must. The hack is easy a true idiot can do it by clicking a few times.

to nforce4max
Are you sure ? because AFAIK,when you use 2 cards with different clocks,one of the will raise/lower its speeds to reach the slower one(have seen many users reporting it)
to wilem
Well most SLI motherboards have SLI certification, are you considering a specific model ? and if you use a 1GB card with 512MB card,then the 1GB one will operate at 512MB(if you need more info,read the SLI/CF FAQ,link is in my sig)

They haven't synch since the geforce 7 days and the early days of the 8800gtx. My two 9800gt 1gb editions have different clocks and there is no synch taking place just load up riva tuner or gpu-z and see for your self if got a sli box. Plus one can oc one card with out having to worry about the other overheating ect. 55nmn g92 on top and a 65nm on the bottom. Both have different clocks. As for the sli cert there is a hack that fools the driver into thinking there is one regardless of the chipset so long there is two slots and a bridge sli will work. Got it working on my 790x board but moving them back to my 780i due to upgrade (gtx460)

Status
Not open for further replies.