External hard drive not getting power

While connecting My Toshiba Canvio Basics 3.0 Portable hard disc with the Computer / Laptop, the power light lights on for a second and going off. The portable hard disk does not connect with the computer there by i am unable retrieve any data stored with in.

As per the advise of the system engineer, i replaced with new cable. Even then the problem persists. Could you please suggest me on how to solve this problem
2 answers Last reply
More about external hard drive power
  1. shriramappurao said:
    While connecting My Toshiba Canvio Basics 3.0 Portable hard disc with the Computer / Laptop, the power light lights on for a second and going off. The portable hard disk does not connect with the computer there by i am unable retrieve any data stored with in.

As per the advise of the system engineer, i replaced with new cable. Even then the problem persists. Could you please suggest me on how to solve this problem

if the unit has a power supply take it to someone with a volt meter and see if the output ok. if not if you need the data then i would take the drive out of the case and plug it in to your home pc. if it not the drive..it could be a small board inside the hard drive case.
  2. also check to make sure that the usb port is powered

This unit ppears to be completely powered by the USB connection
    Also try using a USB 3 connection over the 2.0 conection

And this problem has persisted over multiple systems?

As mentioned above there are multiple points of failure
Ask a new question

Read More

Hard Drives Computers Power External Hard Drive Storage