Why does the cd drive not work on my laptop

G

Hello,
I bought a laptop about 2 years ago and it had windows vista on it. About 2 months ago I had windows 7 installed (it was a clean install) now the cd/dvd drive will not read anything and I am unable to install microsoft office 2007

Hello,
I bought a laptop about 2 years ago and it had windows vista on it. About 2 months ago I had windows 7 installed (it was a clean install) now the cd/dvd drive will not read anything and I am unable to install microsoft office 2007

Insert a media into drive. Check that the drive is seen in disk management, and it has a drive letter assigned. Click All Tasks if no drive assigned.

wini

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2012

I had exactly the same situation. I did what ksiemb wrote with a slight difference. I opened the start menu and typed "Disk management" and clicked enter. A window opened. I couldn't see the CD-drive in it but also I couldn't see "All Tasks" but I clicked on the tab "Action" in the menu and then selected "Re-scan Disks". The CD-drive then appeared in the list and I right-clicked on it and selected "Explore CD".

All CDs have opened normally after that. Bless you, ksiemb!