Possible to tranfer OS, and games from a HDD to a SSD

jjg2013

Honorable
Feb 1, 2013
Hello, I am planning on building a new gaming rig soon, My current rig is going to be sold to a family member, but I wanted to know if I could transfer the OS ( if not I'm not to worried about it), and any games on my current HDD. Particularly my Battlefield 3. I would just reinstall it on my SSD but to download the DLC takes way to long ( 6-12 hrs min) with my so called 7.5mb download speed which is really 700-789Kb/s. I play WoW too but that only takes at most 3 hrs to download which to me isn't bad.

Weather I keep my current harddrive from this rig and install it in my new one I still want to have my OS, and most played games on a SSD while everything else is on the HDD. I am currently waiting to talk to a EA rep about it but my wait time is 30 mins and been waiting an hr now.

Thanks in advance

You should reinstall the OS. If you had an OEM version and are changing the motherboard you need a new license anyway because its locked to the board.

Programs must be reinstalled, but Data can be moved.

Steam and origin are a little special though. You can install them and move the game download folder to the steam/origin game folder on the new drive. When you launch a game the first time they will "install" the game for you. Directx, registry entries all that. You do NOT have to redownload the games

jjg2013

Honorable
Feb 1, 2013

I figured I'd have to get a new OS, no problem there. So I install origin on the SSD and then I am able to move the game from my HDD to the SSD? I don't mind installing the Core game since it writes off a Disc, it's the patches and DLC that take for ever to download. I just want to make sure I'm understanding what your saying as I've never done something like this before.