omnisome

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2010
Hello,

It has been some time since I built a computer and I recently did one, I inserted the 20+4 PSU connector into the motherboard which has 24pins. All was well and I was using the system until about 2 hours later when it randomly shut down.

I thought it was a faulty PSU but when I checked inside the motherboard connector had came out by itself. When I was building it and inserting the 20+4 connector(s), I pushed it firmly down and it looks like it's all the way in but I also see a clip-type thing that I don't remember seeing on other PSUs, on the connector 20+4. I have tried fiddling with it thinking it's some kind of lock. But it doesn't move so I assume it's nothing.

I don't want to try the system again incase it shuts off again because I haven't done the motherboard + power supply correctly.

Thanks

What motherboard and power supply do you have? Most have a little tab on the 24 pin connector from the PSU, and a little bump it clips onto on the motherboard side to keep it from sliding out like you have described.

popatim

Titan
the 4 pin slides into the 20 pin first, usually its up from underneath the 20 pin, and kinda locks in. Then the whole 24 pin assembly locks into the motherboard connector by way of a plastic tab on the side of the 20 pin. You'll see the notches for the tab on the motherbd connector.