Solved

E6700 Pentium Dual Core or E6700 Core 2 Duo?

Searching around I couldn't quite come up with an answer.

I'm building a new system and I ran into this problem and I can't quite figure it out. How do they perform? Is the price difference worth the performance difference? Are they even compatible? Why are they named the same?
http://ark.intel.com/Compare.aspx?ids=27251,42809

I was going to go with the Pentium Dual Core for now to keep costs lower and upgrade it in a couple years with something else. But should I go with the C2D instead? The price difference is huge.

Thanks.
6 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about e6700 pentium dual core e6700 core
  1. I'd say if it costs more than 30 dollars different, then stay with the Core2Duo.
  2. The Pentium Dual Core is less than $90. The C2D is like multiple 100's of $.
  3. Best answer
    The Core 2 Duo E6700 is an old CPU. That was the high-end mainstream CPU in 2006. It's got a lower clock speed, lower bus speed, and overall is just slower.
    The Pentium Dual-Core E6700 is a newer CPU, it was released last year (2010). Higher clock speed and FSB. The Core 2 Duo is only more expensive because it's hard to find, and it's an in-place upgrade for people with 2006 computers who don't want to change out motherboards.
    For a new build, get the Pentium Dual-Core.
  4. C2D E6700 will outrun the PD E6700 hands down. And the price difference isn't much at all. You can get a C2D E7400 for like almost $30 more, and it's a MUCH faster chip than a PD E6700
  5. the core 2 duo has more L2 cache and is faster per clock.
  6. Best answer selected by mpyusko.
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs Pentium Core Product