Dell notebook wireless setup

hourb12

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2010
Hi guys, I was asked by a friend to clean up their Dell Inspiron 1150, so they could give it to someone. I am having trouble trying to connect it to my router. When I go to Device manager, there are 2 yellow question marks next to the ethernet controller and network controller on the other devices list. Also, I get a message at startup that says, hardware id missing. How do I get this thing to see these devices again? All input appreciated.
Thanks

Solution
G
In Device Manager click on the device and Update Driver -- this should search the computer for it -- probably help if you guide it to Windows/ System32/Drivers

If no joy go to the Dell Support site and quote the service tag ID (on the case).
G

In Device Manager click on the device and Update Driver -- this should search the computer for it -- probably help if you guide it to Windows/ System32/Drivers

If no joy go to the Dell Support site and quote the service tag ID (on the case).

Solution

hourb12

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2010

When I right clicked on device to update the driver and guided it to Windows\system32\drivers, the box said, it could not find any device information. Probably because the device has not been identified. Where can I find the device file or how do I get the computer to identify the device? Thanks

G

Are you talking about Ethernet Port or Wireless Adapter -- if latter see if Inspiron has a switch on the case for wireless or maybe it's an Fn key combination.

If Ethernet Port is missing go into BIOS screens and make sure it's not been disabled there (seems unlikely).

If it's merely a missing driver and Windows doesn't have one, go to the Dell Support site and quote the service tag ID (on the case), download the driver pack for that model of computer and re-run it.

Otherwise I'm a bit stumped -- the error message mentions missing hardware ID -- but I think you'd have to be psychic to fathom what it's referring to.