Should I buy a new ssd or use one that is 1 year old

skidatel

Honorable
Jan 30, 2013
hello. I have a 240 gb Mushkin Enhanced Chronos Deluxe (runs great so far) ssd in my computer atm. I had planed on using it last year in a new computer build that never got built. this year I will be building a new gaming computer and I am trying to decide if i should reuse this ssd or hand it down to my dad who will get this computer. if I do keep it i will probably buy him a 128gb ssd for a boot.; if I go that route i save about 100-150 dollars. but if I buy a new ssd like the samsung or ocz v4 and give him this one it will cost about 200-250.

question is: is this ssd worth upgrading? or not. thanks :)

I agree with RealBeast. Keep your Mushkin Enhanced Chronos Deluxe SATA 3 6Gb/s solid state drive and save your money.

What does you dad do with his computer? If he is not a hardcore gamer or pc enthusiast, then a value or entry level ssd will be fine for ordinary everyday use. For example, Samsung recently introduced two new models - the 840 and the 840 Pro. The 840 Pro is their flagship model and the 840 is their mainstream model. The 840 is less expensive than the 840 Pro.

I maintain the ssd database listed in the sticky at the very top of this forum section. Here is the link:

http://www.johnnylucky.org/data-storage/ssd-database.html

Scroll down to the brands and models you are interested in and follow the links to the technical reviews.