• Optiplex
  • Graphics Cards
  • Dell
  • Components
  • Product
Last response: in Components
January 20, 2011 12:23:44 AM

Hello,
I have a Dell Optiplex GX620 and I want to install a Radeon 4670 1GB graphics card. My concern is this... The 4670 graphics card claims to require a minimum of a 400 watt power supply, with a 550 watt power supply strongly recommended. My Dell Optiplex GX620 has a 305 watt power supply unit. Can and How do i upgrade this PC's power supply unit? Or Can I simply pop in the 4670 graphics card using my existing 305 watt power supply without having problems?

More about : dell optiplex gx620 upgrades

a b ) Power supply
a b U Graphics card
January 20, 2011 12:48:34 AM

usually the Dell PSUs are underrated.

does the PSU have PCIe power connector?

There is no way to guaranty that it will work but it is definitive worth a try.
Score
January 20, 2011 1:01:52 AM

The powersurply needs to be replaced. You will need a powersurply that is either a pce-e 2x6pin or 2x8 pin and atleast 500 wats to acturally power up the video card. If you try to use the powersurply that is included in the setup from dell you risk of damageing the hardware and causeing problems in the future.
Score
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
January 20, 2011 1:09:05 AM

The stock Dell Opti 620 power supply won't have a PCIe power connector. You will need to replace it. Is the Dell 620 in question a tower or a desktop form factor?
Score
a b U Graphics card
January 20, 2011 2:41:11 AM

According to Dell's specs the Mini Tower will provide 75 watts to the x16 slot. All other chassis formats provide 25 watts only. If you're really worried try a Radeon 5570 which is essentially a 40nm version of the 4670 with similar performance but less power draw.
Score
January 20, 2011 4:34:14 PM

^+1

Most of the lower power cards don't have 6 pin connectors, like my HD5550. Try the card for a while. Make sure you don't have any system crashes, and check the power supply is too hot or not. If you have any sudden crashes or the system is too hot, then change the power supply.
Score
January 20, 2011 4:53:38 PM

Dear Emerald, Ace, Mavroxur, and Unique, Thank you so much for responding. I am a computer novice, so forgive my ignorance. The Dell Optiplex GX620 I own is a mini tower computer style. I have two PCI card slots, one PCI Express X16 card slot, and one PCI Express X1 card slot. I am considering installing a new PSU of 500 watts or greater. The problem is finding a new PSU to fit my tower, with the correct motherboard connectors, and it needs to draw air from the back or underside and blow air out the back of the tower because my mini tower has the PSU located at the top of the case. -All of your compatible PSU ideas would be welcomed-
I guess i could just return the Radeon 4670 1GB card and get another graphics card that meets my current system requirements. I should have perhaps done that from the start. My mistake.
However, I would love it if someone would recommend a replacement PSU with higher wattage that fits my Dell Optiplex GX620. My current PSU measures: L=5.5in. X W=6.0in. X H=4.0in.
Again, thank you for your assistance and advice. Here are some Dell links describing my computer:
http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/opgx620/e...
http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/opgx620/e...
Score
January 20, 2011 4:59:24 PM

Dude, we are trying to tell you that the Radeon 4670 is only like 59W. If will work in your system. I don't know where you are reading it needs more power.

Check Anandtech total system power with that card... http://www.anandtech.com/show/2616/9

The recommendations of the card and real power usage are 2 different things.

I really doubt you will have any issues.
Score
January 20, 2011 5:00:02 PM

^+100 malmental :bounce: 
Score
January 20, 2011 5:01:29 PM

If you want to install a HD6870 or GTX470... then hell yeah, you need a new PSU.
Score
January 20, 2011 5:06:46 PM

Dear Malmental and 1965Ohio, WOW! Thank you all so much. That is great news! I was about to order a new PSU or return the 4670 card. If you truly think my Optiplex can handle the card with my existing power supply, then I'm good to go.
But Mr. Malmental, everyone else says i need a new PSU. Are you really running all that hardware off a 305 watt PSU? It sounds too good to be true when everyone else says i NEED the upgrade. But I do believe you, and I'm going ahead and I am going to install the new card into my PCI x16 slot unless I hear otherwise. Thank you all!
Score
January 20, 2011 5:14:50 PM

I will have to agree with malmental on this. The only reason to get a new PSU is if it dies for some reason. The video card top limit is only about 59 watts. Even if your CPU is 95W, the board and drives are only looking to add another 35 watts to it. So say 60+100+40... that's like 200. And this is all over estimates. Also, most Dell power supplies list the continuous, not the max. They usually are underrated.
Score
January 20, 2011 5:21:11 PM

Sorry Mr. Malmental and Mr. Ohio, I am not exactly computer savvy and I am humble before you. You two have given me awesome assistance and saved me about $100.00
Great advice, thanks again. I will install the new graphics card and get back to you guys.
Score
January 20, 2011 6:34:33 PM

I'll be back after I install this baby. I opened the box, this card is SWEET! It's a Sapphire Radeon HD 4670 PCIE 2.0 1GB card. It's all sparkly and pretty. But first I have to go outside and shovel away the foot of snow. I will hopefully return with my success story or my system meltdown story. Or perhaps something more sinister will have occurred; maybe Richard Branson and Richard Dolan will fly over my house in their black triangle and HAARP ray my butt, leaving me with no memory of anything except for the Antmen...
Score
January 20, 2011 6:46:47 PM

It'll work. Don't worry. And even if your PSU was seriously stressed, the worst that will happen in a dead PSU, everything else will be fine. The only indication of a stressed CPU is if your computer bluescreens randomly or put your hand around the PSU and see if it has hot air coming off. Under load it will be a little warm anyways. You won't fry your motherboard or cause a portable nuclear core meltdown. Worst case is that you need a new PSU. So you are right back where you started when you started this thread. LOL! :D 
Score
January 20, 2011 8:28:36 PM

Well, I'm back and I successfully installed the new graphics card. One thing I need help with though...all of my desktop program icons are huge and web page screen fonts are huge. I can't see all my programs in my Start Button or see whats all on a web page. Can someone help me shrink to fit my fonts and stuff, please.
Score
January 20, 2011 8:52:02 PM

Oh, okay. A quick restart set everything straight. Thank you all for your help throughout this graphics card installation. I couldn't have done it without all of your guidance. Thanks again. Now, what can I do with this GPU...find an online shooter game and go nuts or what?
PS If you guys at Toms wish to call this thread resolved you may. I am one satisfied newborn PC-gearhead. Thanks for everybody's help. Now, as they say in my country: It's Miller Time.
Score
January 20, 2011 8:58:19 PM

Up to you to clicked solved. Just watch your PC and make sure it doesn't bluescreen or run hotter than usual. If its cool and stable, no need to a new PSU! :D 

Better click on malmental's post... click solved. LOL :sol: 
Score
January 20, 2011 9:28:50 PM

Someone might have to walk me through any end-thread procedures here, I'm new to this stuff. But if I need to fill out a survey that indicates your massive helpfulness I will.
I will be checking my unit often for extra heat, I have experienced no blue screen activity. And you saved me the costs of a new power supply unit too. This Dell Optiplex GX620 has been good to me, and this Sapphire Radeon HD 4670 1GB GPU was as easy as "plug and play" to install. I am a happy camper.
Score
January 20, 2011 9:30:11 PM

Look at the answer you liked the most, and you should see a button that says choose best answer. I'd say give this one to malmental all the way! :sol: 
Score
January 20, 2011 9:35:18 PM

Best answer selected by daveed12vas.
Score
January 20, 2011 9:51:01 PM

Why just yesterday my PC had to pause while the Black-Ops game web page transferred information and loaded data to stream its content...with this new Radeon 4760 GPU the web page just instantly loads and runs its course. I am very pleased so far. As I assume this new boost in speed is accountable to the card itself. Is this the case?
Score
January 20, 2011 10:26:30 PM

Well, thanks again Malmental, So tell me this...will this new graphics card help me stream live television news broadcasts and such or is the GPU more just a gaming graphics accelerator? I use my Dell PC to stream local news in the mornings with coffee before work and some times the data transfer and page load-up is slow or simply stops; will this GPU help in that area too? If not, what recommendations do you have to remedy this? -I already use the 4GB maximum of RAM memory-
Score
January 20, 2011 11:47:44 PM

My PC's motherboard has four ram memory slots which hold four 1GB memory sticks, so I have 4GB ram memory total. Which I'm told is all this Dell Optiplex GX620 can run. -according to the Dell manual and Crucial.com- I bought the RAM memory in kits. -two 2x1GB kits-
Tell me something about these TV tuner cards, what the heck are they? They sound cool as...they sound cool. What are they? Why do I want one? Which one do I want for my PC?
Score
January 21, 2011 12:44:47 AM

Oh, okay. I understand. I wish I knew that before I bought four 1 GB sticks. I'll look into two 2GB sticks and run them in the proper dual channels on my motherboard as soon as possible. Excellent tip Malmental, I had no clue.

I have an old big screen tv. I want to use my tv as my computer monitor. Is this possible with my old tv? Its a GE VideoPlus GemStar. The tv has one yellow video input, two sets of red and white audio-in & audio-out inputs, one S-video port. and one coaxial cable port.
With this criteria, can you aid me in finding the correct wires and adapters necessary to connect my Dell PC to my regular TV? Thanks.
Score
January 21, 2011 2:00:17 AM

Dear Mr. Malmental, I started a new thread.

The thread is titled: How to use my TV as my computer monitor.

I hope you can assist me with this new project with easy wiring or simple modifications. Thank you for all of your help.
Score
a b ) Power supply
a b U Graphics card
January 21, 2011 2:56:29 AM

you could try a DVI to HDMI adapter
Score
February 16, 2011 5:25:40 PM

Quote:
see you there..

Hi Mr malmental/dell borg! My mother also has a Dell optiplex 620 but its the USFF. She had the stock 1GB DDR2 which was 2 512GB sticks. Her USFF only has two slots on the motherboard. So I replaced the two 512's with two 2GB sticks. After booting up the memory was recognized fine and seemed to work well(incredibly fast). After being on the internet for a while the computer turns to the infamous blue screen. It says, a problem has caused windows to close! Not sure if this is caused by the new ram or not? I put the old sticks back in and no problems at all but retrying the 2GB sticks I get the same results. Could the Voltage be off a bit or some other bios settings need change. Please help!
Score
February 16, 2011 5:49:31 PM

I got the ram on new egg, and I got the specs from crucial.
GeIL 2GB 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 667 (PC2 5300) Desktop Memory Model GX22GB5300LX
Score
February 16, 2011 5:51:40 PM

The CL is 5 and the timing 5-5-5-15, 1.8 V
Score
February 16, 2011 6:28:55 PM

Yes, thats the one.
The stock Ram was PC2-4200, 533hz 1.8V with 5-4-4-12 timing and the bus clock speed is 266.67.
The new Ram is PC2-5300, 667hz 1.8V with 5-5-5-15 timing and not sure about the bus speed.
Score
February 16, 2011 6:41:42 PM

New thread -Dell 620 Usff Ram upgrade
Score
July 16, 2011 9:16:22 AM

Quote:
DUDE.
DID YOU NOT READ WHAT I SAID.?!
WTF.?!

your psu is AXT standard psu so any aftermarket ATX supply will work.

BKA2012 Now thats funny malmental I kill's me that people ask for help ans you tell them what they want to know and they don't listen..lol..
Score
August 28, 2011 6:29:11 AM

the gx620 can use a standard power supply (living proof) you'll just have to mount it on the outside of the case like i did if you are using the desktop model
Score
October 17, 2011 10:47:09 AM

daveed12vas said:
Hello,
I have a Dell Optiplex GX620 and I want to install a Radeon 4670 1GB graphics card. My concern is this... The 4670 graphics card claims to require a minimum of a 400 watt power supply, with a 550 watt power supply strongly recommended. My Dell Optiplex GX620 has a 305 watt power supply unit. Can and How do i upgrade this PC's power supply unit? Or Can I simply pop in the 4670 graphics card using my existing 305 watt power supply without having problems?

Score
October 17, 2011 10:49:19 AM

daveed12vas said:
Hello,

Score
a b ) Power supply
a c 273 U Graphics card
October 17, 2011 12:50:51 PM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Score
!