AMD CPU+ G.Skill DDR3-1600

mpere

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2010
Hello everyone. I previously asked the community about a problem I was having with the ram I purchased. I recently purchased 2sticks of G.skill ripjaw ram 8GB (2x4gb)DDR3-1600. However, I forgot to check the specs on my mobo (M4A78T-E), which shows that 1600 (OC) is compatiable. the ram i got is rated at 9-9-9-24, but Cupid is showing 11-11-11-28. I did some research and found the following on another thread:

The integrated memory controllers on the Phenom II's operates at 1333MHz. They do NOT support 1600MHz DDR3 Dimms.

Except they do. Kind of. When you set the memory speed higher you overclock the memory controller. Most can make it to 1600MHz, but they aren't guaranteed to. When i had this problem mine stopped a little short, i think 1580. The recommended way to do this is to set the FSB to 240, up from the default of 200, instead of trying to set the memory speed in the bios. Then turn down your CPU multiplier if you don't want to overclock.

Please see below, this is for GSkill but the issue is with the CPU not the memory, and it should work for you as well, once i did this i was able to tighten my timings down manually.

http://www.gskill.us/forum/showthread.php?t=7688

Well I followed the what gskill techs advised and now the ram shows the proper rated specs. But question is besides testing my ram using memtest86 (where the best site to find it), is their any other way to to test ram stability. This is my first time I have tried this and I'm worried that i might burn up my system.

memtest86 is probably the best way to test the system, especially RAM. as far as burning up your system, that is very unlikely as the system will shut down before any damage happens, unless you have that disabled.

Just monitor your temps during the test, if you start getting into the 60's, back off.

Every stability test stresses your RAMs to varying degrees, and you should not worry about impacting your system in any way with DDR3-1600.

It is not an issue. Period.

From a performance standpoint, a 2400MHz IMC/NB is a good place to be, and you will most likely get there at stock NB and VCore volts.

beenthere

Distinguished
Unfortunately overclocking the RAM from 1333 Mhz. to 1600 Mhz. result in only a ~1% improvement in system performance so unless you can get a fully stable PC, it's not worth the effort to OC DDR3 RAM as DDR3 RAM has higher frequencies and more bandwidth by default than DDR2/DDR. Even tightening the RAM latencies does little for performance because once cycle at a higher frequency is less real time than at slower DDR2/DDR frequencies.