Sign in with
Your question

GTX 460 BSOD

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
September 6, 2010 7:41:12 PM

Hello everyone, well first off i just want to say that this site and everyone on it has helped me tremendously with tons of computer questions that i had- so thanks to you all! Now, this is gonna be my first post on this forum so this is my situation:

I recently upgraded my video card from an ASUS EN8800GT TOP to a EVGA GTX 460 1GB super-clocked edition. With it i bought a 700W OCZ power supply which has 4 12v rails that put out 18AMPS. Installed everything, formatted my windows xp pro 32bit, installed the VGA CD that came with the card, went and downloaded the latest drivers (258.96). Now im having problems running FSX.. Every time i start up FSX and fly for a couple of seconds, i get the blue screen of death and the pc restarts. I get the error message that contains "Nv4_disp.dll". Im having this problem with FSX only...i run dirt 2 and mafia 2 on full settings with great FPS without any problems whatsoever. My guess is that its the nvidia drivers. So i wanted to get some older drivers - but on the site there's only the 258.96 driver. Is it possible my PSU doesnt have enough AMPS to run the card during full load or something? i read somewhere that this GTX 460 needs 25A on a 12v rail to run- but im not sure. My pc specs are:

winXP pro 32bit
GIGABYTE MA785GM-US2H motherboard
AMD Phenom 2 x4 3.0GHZ cpu
OCZ StealthXStream 2 700W 4 12V rails, 18A each
4 GIG 667mhz ram

More about : gtx 460 bsod

September 6, 2010 8:11:08 PM

I have latest patches for FSX and the nvidia drivers. Its very weird.. i had FSX running pretty good with my 8800GT with lower settings without ANY problems and with same system(with a different 480W 18A PSU). BUT i just confirmed on the EVGA site that the card requires a 25Amp-able PSU- so gonna exchange mine and get a higher AMP PSU tomorrow..Will post if that will solve the problem
m
l
September 7, 2010 12:22:18 AM

Hi Roman
We I guess misery loves company because it sure feels good that I am not alone. If you would like to see all of my efforts and suggestions from others on this exact same problem - see this thread:

http://forums.flightsim.com/vbfs/showthread.php?t=21917...

Please let me know if you have any luck and I'll return the favor.
Greg
m
l
Related resources
September 7, 2010 2:12:38 AM

hello Greg

Yes i have looked all over the net for my problem and before posting on here- i found and read your post several times. Tried everything on your forum without any luck...have you gotten a new PSU to check if thats the problem?
m
l
September 7, 2010 9:20:52 PM

Quote:
Your power supply has 72 amp 18*4.No need for new powersupply the problem is game related.New psu willnot solve anything.

I think you are right- its probably game related or driver related..since i recently found out this is a VERY new card- there is only one driver available for it..will wait for newer drivers and hope they will fix the problem. But you are wrong about my PSU's AMPs..to calculate AMPS that a PSU generates, you must divide the total WATTS from the 12V rails by 12.. in my case its a 700W PSU-but 675WATTS between the 4 rails. SO 675 divided by 12 = 56.25 AMPS..Still im wondering if it's only me and Greg that have this problem.. im seriously thinking of getting a higher WATT power supply coz CanadaComputers service ppl tell me one thing that this PSU is good enough- then i call the next day and they say i need an 800WATT PSU..im getting annoyed and more confused by the day with misleading info...
m
l
September 7, 2010 10:56:48 PM

ok so i think im making progress with the troubleshooting: airport im using to test is los angeles international. When i turn ALL graphic setting to MINIMUM(ALL sliders) FSX runs perfectly at 250-300FPS(FPS UNLIMITED) without any BSOD..then i crank up the graphic sliders and boom- BSOD with NV4_disp.dll error message...im really startin to think its not enough WATTS from my psu to power the superclocked edition.. normal EVGA GTX 460 at full load eats up about 268WATTS. Now SC edition probably eats more- in the 288 zone..now back to my PSU..700 WATT, between 4 rails is 675WATT- lets remember that PSU's NEVER run at 100% efficiency so id put it at 80%. Now my psu wattage is 540 between the 4 rails. 540 total WATTS minus 288WATTS = 252WATTS to power everything else in my pc...does this make sense to anyone? FSX is maine the reason i upgraded and this is REAL annoying..
m
l
September 8, 2010 4:39:19 PM

soaringraptor said:
Hi Roman
We I guess misery loves company because it sure feels good that I am not alone. If you would like to see all of my efforts and suggestions from others on this exact same problem - see this thread:

http://forums.flightsim.com/vbfs/showthread.php?t=21917...

Please let me know if you have any luck and I'll return the favor.
Greg

This problem is NOT PSU related- i went and got ANTEC 850WATT PSU and still getting the blue screen of death( ONLY ON FSX)..what i am almost certain of is that we BOTH have gigabyte motherboards..maybe these new gtx 460 drivers are not good enough for them yet because our boards are AMD based. Will wait for next drivers. Can you give me exact name of your gigabyte mobo so i can confirm their AMD based. Like i said- these cards are still very new- so it might take some time for the right drivers.
m
l
a c 125 U Graphics card
September 8, 2010 4:47:04 PM

Quote:
Your power supply has 72 amp 18*4.No need for new powersupply the problem is game related.New psu willnot solve anything.

Your wrong, You don't simply multiply the number of rails by the number of amps on each rail...

For his PSU to have 72A it would also need to have a minimum of 864W (72A * 12)

To find out how many Amps your PSU is capable of outputting you need to know how many Watts is dedicated to the +12V rails, then divid that number by 12 to get your number of Amps.
m
l
September 12, 2010 8:07:26 PM

Hey Roman
Just curious if you have made any progress. I'm thinking of parking the GTX460 because, like you, I bought the card specifically for FSX and as near as I can tell 460+fsx+xp=BSOD every time.

I started another thread here http://forums.flightsim.com/vbfs/showthread.php?t=21941... and they are leaning toward PSU as well but my question still remains "Has anyone got this combo to work?"
If it is PSU I'll unplug the wall heater an hook 'er up to 220.

Greg
m
l
a b U Graphics card
September 12, 2010 8:28:02 PM

soaringraptor, can you get your card to not BSOD if you turn the graphics options down? If so, which option makes it crash?

Sounds like a driver issue, can you try out any other games (or Free benchmarks such at 3DMark06 or Vantage or Unigine Benchmark) to see if these programs, which stress the GPU more than FSX, cause any issue.
m
l
September 13, 2010 4:00:56 AM

Hello EXT64
I have tried about 8 other somewhat demanding graphics games and I can not get a BSOD out of any of them. I have ran Prime95 which kicks all cores to 100% for about and hourish all while browsing and working on this problem. I just cant get this card to miss a beat - except in FSX. Like in Roman's example - I have tested most of my theories by flying toward a major metro airport and yhen I crash before I ever get close to the ground.

I haven't tried backing off all the sliders. I bought the graphics card to run this program better than the ATI 4800 and I was hoping to move them more to the right instead of the left.
Greg
m
l
a b U Graphics card
September 13, 2010 11:22:41 AM

I understand, however sometimes with driver problems you can isolate a single setting (such as AntiAliasing) that is causing the BSOD and either leave it low or Report it to NVidia (or have others test it).
m
l
September 16, 2010 7:54:16 AM

EXT64 said:
I understand, however sometimes with driver problems you can isolate a single setting (such as AntiAliasing) that is causing the BSOD and either leave it low or Report it to NVidia (or have others test it).

Hi- sorry i have not been on this forum for a long time. BUT with the 260.63 BETA driver- i do not get BSOD anymore. Now i am getting HUGE graphical artifacts in extremely dense areas(like London and Los angeles).

When i set autogen to NORMAL- i dont get any artifacts...as soon as i set it PAST normal, BOOM- artifacts...i posted examples on youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r1VWfrDjytk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hcwf_VL8gc0&NR=1

Like i mentioned before; this problem occurs in FSX ONLY. I have starcraft 2, dirt 2, mafia 2, crysis all run without any problems what so ever(with very nice fps!). So my conclusion is that it cannot be a faulty card, but probably a driver.

Prior to 260.63 which is still beta, the GTX 460 had only one driver which was 258.96 and MANY MANY people had/have problems with it. Since the card is still relatively new, my guess is that Nvidia team will come out with better drivers in the future. Im hopeful.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
September 16, 2010 9:21:31 PM

Yes, FSX used to be one of NVidia's strongpoints, do they have a place where you can report driver feedback? Otherwise, as FSX is an older game, they might ignore or not test it.
m
l
!