Sign in with
Your question

Monitor/GPU trouble

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
September 6, 2010 7:51:25 PM

Just got myself a new 23" LG monitor today to replace my old 19" Dell, swapped them around and I'm getting a no signal problem, Win7 loads fine in the background but still the monitor remains blank in powersaving mode.

So I figure that I'll need to mess about with the resolution/install the drivers to get it to work, change back to my Dell and hey presto, Win7 loads in the background, no signal.

I'm at somewhat of a loss here, running on a less then a week old GTX460.

Any help would be awesome.

More about : monitor gpu trouble

September 6, 2010 8:13:41 PM

The system should auto-detect a change in display... As I don't have an nVIDIA card in either of my personal systems anymore, I'm not sure if they still use nVIDIA Control Panel... However, there used to be a setting in there to enable and disable EDID monitor detection. If you can manage to find that, make sure it's enabled.

While connected to the Dell, change the screen resolution to something common, like 1024x768 @ 60Hz. Shutdown and connect the LG, then see what happens.
September 6, 2010 8:15:49 PM

RazberyBandit said:
The system should auto-detect a change in display... As I don't have an nVIDIA card in either of my personal systems anymore, I'm not sure if they still use nVIDIA Control Panel... However, there used to be a setting in there to enable and disable EDID monitor detection. If you can manage to find that, make sure it's enabled.

While connected to the Dell, change the screen resolution to something common, like 1024x768 @ 60Hz. Shutdown and connect the LG, then see what happens.

It does indeed still use Nvidia control panel, but the problem is a little bigger then that, when switching back to the Dell I'm getting a no signal error.

It worked perfectly 30 minutes previously, I simply swapped it out with the LG, that had no signal, swapped it back to the Dell, no signal again.
Related resources
a b Î Nvidia
a b C Monitor
September 6, 2010 8:17:34 PM

Try booting in safe mode perhaps.
September 6, 2010 8:22:35 PM

jyjjy said:
Try booting in safe mode perhaps.

I'll give it a go, going to be tricky to work out where the hell the options are, but oh well..
a b Î Nvidia
a b C Monitor
September 6, 2010 8:28:47 PM

The F8 key during startup is what you want.
September 6, 2010 8:34:06 PM

What I think he meant was being able to see them...
a b Î Nvidia
a b C Monitor
September 6, 2010 9:19:34 PM

Well if there is no signal at all, even during start up, then it is unrelated to the drivers or resolution settings. Try resetting the bios maybe. If that doesn't help then it must be a hardware issue. If both cards aren't working at all then I guess the motherboard. Did you you install and/or remove a card with the power cord plugged in perhaps?
September 6, 2010 10:01:55 PM

But if the Dell monitor's working and the LG isn't, I seriously doubt it's anything within the PC... The more likely culprit would be a defective LG monitor.
a b Î Nvidia
a b C Monitor
September 7, 2010 1:31:22 AM

He is saying neither monitor is working now I believe.
September 7, 2010 10:51:56 AM

jyjjy said:
Well if there is no signal at all, even during start up, then it is unrelated to the drivers or resolution settings. Try resetting the bios maybe. If that doesn't help then it must be a hardware issue. If both cards aren't working at all then I guess the motherboard. Did you you install and/or remove a card with the power cord plugged in perhaps?

The GTX460 was swapped in a few days previous to this and was working perfectly up until this point, it only went tits up when I tried out the LG and then switched back.

Indeed neither of the monitors have display at the moment even during post.
September 7, 2010 11:14:56 AM

I hope that if it is a bad LG monitor that it did not kill your 460.

If booting to safe mode don't work try removing the 460 and install your old card with the old monitor.
If that work then use the same card with the new monitor to see if you got a bad monitor.

What PSU do you have?
September 7, 2010 11:22:38 AM

punnar said:
I hope that if it is a bad LG monitor that it did not kill your 460.

If booting to safe mode don't work try removing the 460 and install your old card with the old monitor.
If that work then use the same card with the new monitor to see if you got a bad monitor.

What PSU do you have?

Forgot to mention that the LG seems to be perfectly fine, ran it off my xbox and there was nothing wrong at all.

I doubt safe mode would do much as I get no display in POST either which suggests it's not a windows issue, also tried the second DVI output on my 460 just as a stab in the dark and that made no difference either.

Could try resetting BIOS but I'm unsure of whether that would help, might have to give in and try out my 260 again at this rate...

Running on a Corsair 650w.

I'm finding it hard to understand why a monitor switch would kill my cards output but not enough for it to refuse to post....
September 7, 2010 11:28:29 AM

What type of cable are you using?
September 7, 2010 11:30:00 AM

For the LG I tried using its standard DVI cable, the Dell is using a VGA with DVI adapter at the gpu end, also tried using two different adapters just to rule that one out.
September 7, 2010 11:34:42 AM

Hm.. Have you tried re-seating the video card and it might have gotten dislodged when you swapped monitors?
September 7, 2010 11:38:02 AM

punnar said:
Hm.. Have you tried re-seating the video card and it might have gotten dislodged when you swapped monitors?

I'll give it a go, would have thought that'd make it fail post if it's the problem but perhaps I'm just getting pessimistic.
September 7, 2010 11:41:35 AM

flaminggerbil said:
I'll give it a go, would have thought that'd make it fail post if it's the problem but perhaps I'm just getting pessimistic.

I understand but I would be trying anything now if I was in your shoes.
a b Î Nvidia
a b C Monitor
September 7, 2010 12:02:11 PM

What were you using before the GTX 460? If you still have it or if it was onboard graphics see if that gives you any problems now. If not then you've narrowed it down to the card being the issue.
September 7, 2010 12:26:20 PM

punnar said:

Well it appears you were right! Even though the card was securely screwed down and hadnt visibly moved at all a reseat sorted it out.

Thanks!

I do have one one more slight problem however, with my new GTX460 the screen seems a little bit 'fuzzy', anyone got any idea as to why this would be?
September 7, 2010 1:19:29 PM

It's best to set your resolution to the monitor's native resolution.
September 7, 2010 1:25:40 PM

It's already set to native, everything just has a slightly blurry look to it, gaming on the other hand is fine from what I can see so perhaps it's a Windows issue.
September 7, 2010 1:58:43 PM

I had that problem with my TV that's connected to my HTPC and I had to mess with the V-Sync.
!