Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Graphics card warranties deceptive much?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
September 6, 2010 7:53:27 PM

I have an ASUS 4850 that has been defective from the day I bought it. I called Asus support and emailed them, and they told me to contact the "reseller" for service on the card. ASUS says that they have a 3 year limited warranty on all of their cards, but is this just a bunch of smoke? How can they say this, then refuse to service my card. The reseller that I bought the card from was Newegg, and I'm pretty sure they dont accept RMA's after the first 30 days of purchase. Plus, I cut the UPC label off of the box to send it in for a rebate; I'm also pretty sure that Newegg will not service my card simply for this reason. Is it just me, or is Asus pretty deceptive with their "limited 3 year warranties"?
a c 1392 U Graphics card
a c 302 Ĉ ASUS
September 6, 2010 8:09:32 PM

Asus is supposed to service the card! Keep hammering on them sometimes it depends on what person you get on your service call. It is sometimes good when getting rejected to ask for the supervisor.
m
0
l
a c 376 U Graphics card
September 6, 2010 8:12:57 PM

If it was defective from the start why didn't you send it back to Newegg?
That would be the proper procedure;
Buy something defective = return it to store
Item breaks or develops problems later = contact manufacturer about warranty
Anyway I believe their warranty service may just be handled through their resellers. Call Newegg and find out.
m
0
l
Related resources
September 6, 2010 8:29:53 PM

jyjjy said:
If it was defective from the start why didn't you send it back to Newegg?
That would be the proper procedure;
Buy something defective = return it to store
Item breaks or develops problems later = contact manufacturer about warranty
Anyway I believe their warranty service may just be handled through their resellers. Call Newegg and find out.

I could not send it back to Newegg, as I removed the UPC for rebate purposes I will give Newegg a call.
m
0
l
a c 376 U Graphics card
September 6, 2010 8:32:36 PM

Did you call them to ask them if you could still return it or did you just assume you couldn't? Newegg tends to very flexible.
Also cutting up the box before testing the product doesn't sound like a good call.
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
September 6, 2010 8:39:36 PM

Don't bother calling Newegg. They will not accept items without a UPC. They will sometimes occasionally bend their rules and allow the return of something beyond 30-days with a good reason, but not one that has no UPC.

The proper channel is going through ASUS. Forget the website and just call them. Tell them it's dead and request an RMA. It's well within their policy to refuse to service cards within the first 30-days, as they're well aware most resellers would allow it to just be returned. That is why they turned you away initially. Since that time has passed, they should (undoubtedly) issue an RMA.

ASUS support has always been good to me, no matter the concern. I highly doubt they'll turn you away again.
m
0
l
a c 271 U Graphics card
a b Ĉ ASUS
September 6, 2010 8:42:09 PM

RazberyBandit said:
Don't bother calling Newegg. They will not accept items without a UPC.

So it's MIR or warranty but not both?
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
September 6, 2010 8:47:02 PM

No. Newegg, like every other retailer, simply protects itself from MIR fraud by refusing to accept any item that's had it's UPC removed. A buyer must decide for himself upon receipt of an MIR eligible item whether he's going to go for the MIR right away and waive any chance to return the item to Newegg, or hold off til the last minute in case there's a returnable problem with it within Newegg's 30-day return period. With the first of those options, the buyer must accept the fact that any defect-related claim must go through the manufacturer, not Newegg, even if within Newegg's 30-day return period.
m
0
l
a c 271 U Graphics card
a b Ĉ ASUS
September 6, 2010 9:02:50 PM

And in this case the manufacture is telling the buyer to go through the reseller and even if they didn't would they accept an RMA if the original packaging has been damaged on purpose?
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
September 6, 2010 9:11:23 PM

I'm not sure I follow, MM...

The package wasn't purposely damaged - The UPC was cut out as required for an MIR claim to be made. They don't require the original packaging for RMA's anyway, which is why I'm a little confused by your question.

I don't really know why ASUS originally refused to service it, other than what I already stated - that it's their policy to have claims within a reseller's return period settled directly between the buyer and reseller. Many manufacturers do that. It's a matter of economics for them. Why should they get involved when they don't have to?
m
0
l
a c 271 U Graphics card
a b Ĉ ASUS
September 6, 2010 9:17:49 PM

RazberyBandit said:
I'm not sure I follow, MM...

The package wasn't purposely damaged - The UPC was cut out as required for an MIR claim to be made. They don't require the original packaging for RMA's anyway, which is why I'm a little confused by your question.

I don't really know why ASUS originally refused to service it, other than what I already stated - that it's their policy to have claims within a reseller's return period settled directly between the buyer and reseller. Many manufacturers do that. It's a matter of economics for them. Why should they get involved when they don't have to?

I've had times when the equipment that I've returned had to be in it's "original and undamaged" packaging and as I'm not in the US and so have never dealt with Newegg I don't know what their policies are but the OP did mention that they wouldn't accept the RMA because he'd cashed in the MIR by cutting off the UPC code (which I assumed was on the box).
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
September 6, 2010 9:51:23 PM

Yes, MM. But he's not "returning" it to ASUS for a refund....

Newegg only accepts RMA's for the purpose of refund or exchange. Almost every reseller will accept the return of working or defective items for those reasons (policy permitting), and like in your experiences, the packaging MUST be intact. When he removed his UPC for the MIR, he lost his ability to go through Newegg. Why?

Here in the US, sellers do not service RMA'd parts - Manufacturers do it directly. So, once he couldn't go through the reseller, he has to deal with the manufacturer - ASUS.
m
0
l
September 6, 2010 11:52:35 PM

If you want real warranty and support buy from someone like EVGA, they will always honor their cards and mobos and never hassle you. Just buy it register it and you are set. I have bought thousands of dollars of their stuff and they have always taken care of me over the years.
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
September 7, 2010 12:22:47 AM

jyjjy said:
The Asus site says to contact the reseller about repairs no matter the situation on its warranty page;
http://support.asus.com/repair/repair.aspx?no=201&SLang...

That is their general policy on a global scale. However, it's much different here in the US. Like I said, in the US we don't deal with resellers in regards to warranty claims, we deal directly with the manufacturer.

Unfortunately, ASUS's US website has been utter crap lately, and only seems to get worse day by day. Many product pages are completely unavailable, and redirect to the mainpage. Many older products aren't even listed on the US site anymore, but are easily found on the global site, along with any and all related support files, such as drivers, BIOS updates, and the like. The support site is just awful regardless which language portal you take to get to it. That's why I suggested the OP just call them instead of troubling himself with the website. Really, it's utter crap.
m
0
l
a c 271 U Graphics card
a b Ĉ ASUS
September 7, 2010 12:27:47 AM

RazberyBandit said:
That is their general policy on a global scale. However, it's much different here in the US. Like I said, in the US we don't deal with resellers in regards to warranty claims, we deal directly with the manufacturer.

Unfortunately, ASUS's US website has been utter crap lately, and only seems to get worse day by day. Many product pages are completely unavailable, and redirect to the mainpage. Many older products aren't even listed on the US site anymore, but are easily found on the global site, along with any and all related support files, such as drivers, BIOS updates, and the like. The support site is just awful regardless which language portal you take to get to it. That's why I suggested the OP just call them instead of troubling himself with the website. Really, it's utter crap.

That has to be one of the best understatements I've seen so far this year!
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
September 7, 2010 1:07:48 AM

LOL. The Global English site isn't so bad. At least there you can actually follow a link entirely through to a product page and find support files.
m
0
l
a c 271 U Graphics card
a b Ĉ ASUS
September 7, 2010 1:14:43 AM

RazberyBandit said:
LOL. The Global English site isn't so bad. At least there you can actually follow a link entirely through to a product page and find support files.

You're one up on me then because as soon as I click on a link to any support file I get redirected back to the front page.
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
September 7, 2010 1:29:12 AM

Easiest way to find support files is to find the product page and proceed from there.

Start here: http://www.asus.com/index.aspx
Find a product by navigating through the pop-up/drop-down menu that appears after a mouse-over of "Products" at the top.
Like this M4A785GT-M EVO: http://www.asus.com/product.aspx?P_ID=QHbvGVB1mXmmD8qQ&...
Or this EAH5850 TOP/2DIS/1GD5: http://www.asus.com/product.aspx?P_ID=6Kz9jp2PUnDKZf67&...
Then click on the "Download" tab.

That's what I've had to resort to as opposed to actually using their support site, which truly epitomizes the word crap.

Oh, and be sure to leave them a message by mousing-over Services and selecting feedback :) 
m
0
l
a c 271 U Graphics card
a b Ĉ ASUS
September 7, 2010 1:32:42 AM

RazberyBandit said:
Easiest way to find support files is to find the product page and proceed from there.

Start here: http://www.asus.com/index.aspx
Find a product by navigating through the pop-up/drop-down menu that appears after a mouse-over of "Products" at the top.
Like this M4A785GT-M EVO: http://www.asus.com/product.aspx?P_ID=QHbvGVB1mXmmD8qQ&...
Or this EAH5850 TOP/2DIS/1GD5: http://www.asus.com/product.aspx?P_ID=6Kz9jp2PUnDKZf67&...
Then click on the "Download" tab.

That's what I've had to resort to as opposed to actually using their support site, which truly epitomizes the word crap.

Oh, and be sure to leave them a message by mousing-over Services and selecting feedback :) 

From my location both of those links take me to the front page. :lol: 
m
0
l
a c 376 U Graphics card
September 7, 2010 1:34:11 AM

Same here.
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
September 7, 2010 1:34:13 AM

Yeah, I think with the was Asus' support site is set up, you can't link to individual products (easily, at least).
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
September 7, 2010 1:38:01 AM

LOL. Doing the same thing to me, too.

Ah well, I did manage to get to those pages by using the first link and navigating the pop-up/drop-down menus. Even left them some feedback of my own...

The good thing is, you can get support files, like BIOS updates, drivers, etc from the Download tab on the product pages, once you navigate their (stupid) system.

Oh, and it appears I can manage to link directly to their "Contact Us" page: http://support.asus.com/contact/contact.aspx?SLanguage=...

Unfortunately, the North America livesupport site is down: http://livesupport.asus.com/
m
0
l
September 7, 2010 2:49:06 AM

I'll give asus a call tomorrow. The thing I'm worried about is that the card does not always screw up and acct defective. One day it will whine and scream, and the next day it will stay quiet, but will constantly crash. Believe me, I have troubleshooted every variable in this scenario, and I'm 100% sure it's my card, not the drivers, psu, or any of that. I'm worried when asus gets the card, they won't be able to reproduce the exact problems I'm getting. Plus, I am planning on buying a gtx460 this week, but I still want this card in working order so I can sell it to a friend.

Here's the question: is it worth the hassle and shipping costs to get this card serviced?
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
September 7, 2010 4:16:55 AM

Shipping cost via FedEx or UPS should only be around $8 to $10. USPS might be a little less expensive, but most manufacturers require the use of a courier that requires signatures.
m
0
l
September 8, 2010 2:47:05 AM

Here is Newegg's policy on returning rebated items:

http://www.newegg.com/HelpInfo/ReturnPolicy.aspx

"Mail-In Rebate Policy
Any product offering a mail-in rebate is not returnable to Newegg once the rebate has been filed. Be sure that the product is functional and that you intend to keep the product before sending in for your rebate. Products missing UPC codes or serial numbers from the box are NOT returnable. Only the product manufacturer can replace a defective item missing the UPC code."


Looks like Asus is the only way to get my card fixed. I honestly care very little now for the card, as I bought the MSI Cyclone GTX460 today :) . I am still going to try and get it fixed so I can use it for another rig. Thanks all for the input. I'm giving Asus a call tomorrow, so I'll let you guys know that happens. BTW, the UPC sticker with the serial # is indeed still on the back of the card, untampered.
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
September 8, 2010 3:11:50 AM

Well, just to share my experiences, As I have had both a bad 4850 and a defective Asus product.

First, the bad 4850 was under the 30 day limit (fortunately) and was returned and replaced at little time and cost through newegg. Not much help here unfortunately.

As for the Asus return, it was a motherboard that stopped detecting SLI a year or two after purchase. For me, Asus responded and handled the claim in a timely manner with only the shipping costs on me. I believe it was arround 2-3 weeks from my shipment to the return of my repaired part (which still works to this day). So I definitely think it is worth the effort, if for no other reason than allowing you to ebay the 4850 to recover some of your costs (or use it in another machine).
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
September 8, 2010 7:11:45 PM

Just so you're aware, the UPC on the card is not what's in question in regards to Newegg returns... the one on the box, the one sent in for a rebate, is the important one.

In any case, the cost to ship a video card for service is usually about $10 via FedEx or UPS. So for roughly $10, you can get that defective card replaced, and as EXT pointed out, sell it to recover some of your investment.
m
0
l
September 10, 2010 12:40:34 AM

I actually have not found the time to call Asus yet, but I have been stressing the card to see for sure that it the card is indeed defective. First, let me say that I have come to these same conclusions of the card while using many different driver versions over the past year, and using WinXP, Vista, and 7 64 bit. The card does the same thing no matter what. I have not put the card into another motherboard, as I don't know anyone with one big enough to fit the gigantic 4850 in it. And I also have not swapped out my year and half old Corsair TX650 (which has worked like a champ) for another PSU that will support the 4850. I do not have any friends with powerful PSU's as this to swap it out.

What I'm getting at is this:
A. Is it possible that my PSU may be defective, even though I have no other problems with my rig other than the 4850 crashing?
B. Is it possible my motherboard may be defective, even though I have never had any problems with it?


On all 3 OS's that I have run with this card, it has done these main things that have pointed me in the direction of assuming it is defective:
1. Screams during the menus of certain games, particularly Crysis and Starcraft 2.
2. Constantly crashes during high graphical games, sometimes requiring a computer reset, other times with windows automatically recovering.

I have also just installed MSI Afterburner and Kombuster, and used the stability test in Kombuster. During this test, my card also made an abnormal hissing sound. My monitor turned itself on standby after about 8 minutes of testing, and I had to reset my computer. I thought at first my GPU had fried. Luckily, everything was fine. Note that I did not OC my card at all, all stock clocks. I'm going to try running the test again and post the results.
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
September 10, 2010 1:08:40 AM

So after all that return discussion, we're now troubleshooting the card? :) 

No worries, though. Sounds to me like you may be experiencing the ferrite coil whine issue. Though some people live with the issue and it's annoyance because it doesn't affect performance, your card is clearly affected, and it is in fact a defect.

Call ASUS already. Talk to their tech support about it and I'm sure they'll help you out. It might take a transfer or two, as their first level support isn't always too keen on some of the more complex issues, but you should eventually get to someone who can ID the problem and initiate an RMA.

P.S. I got this reply to my "feedback" to ASUS about their website:
Quote:
There are a 2 different websites you may utilize for products within the North
America region that is available.

http://usa.asus.com - this website will only provide current production models that
are available in the North American region.

http://www.asus.com - this website will provide you any product that is manufactured
by ASUS. Please note that not all products are supported in the North American
region; however it will also include older models that were available.

I hope this information helps and if you need any further support, ASUS is available
via Live Chat at http://livesupport.asus.com or by phone at 812-282-2787.

Best Regards,
Teresa P
ASUS Customer Care Specialist
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
September 10, 2010 1:09:59 AM

You are correct, there is no way to *prove* it is the graphics card; however, I think you've amassed enough evidence for it to be a logical conclusion. Now the next step would be swap components (which you don't have so you can't do) or do the next best thing - RMA the card. Just tell them everything you've told us and hope for the best - the worst they can do is not find a problem and return it to you, after which you can try returning other parts I guess.
m
0
l
September 10, 2010 2:07:31 AM

RazberyBandit said:
So after all that return discussion, we're now troubleshooting the card? :) 

No worries, though. Sounds to me like you may be experiencing the ferrite coil whine issue. Though some people live with the issue and it's annoyance because it doesn't affect performance, your card is clearly affected, and it is in fact a defect.

Call ASUS already. Talk to their tech support about it and I'm sure they'll help you out. It might take a transfer or two, as their first level support isn't always too keen on some of the more complex issues, but you should eventually get to someone who can ID the problem and initiate an RMA.



Haha alright, thanks. I will definitely call Asus tomorrow.
m
0
l
!