[New Build] $1000 Photoshop/Illustrator/Dreamweaver Machine

art2010

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2010
Hi Everyone,

Been trying to do some research on this and I've come to the conclusion..it's been a long time since I handrolled a PC. I tried to find other members asking for a similar build, found one so I copied his basic requirements, added some of my own...

Approximate Purchase Date: November-December (wait for Black Friday prices?)
Budget Range: $1,000
System Usage from Most to Least Important: Photoshop, Dreamweaver, Illustrator (alot of running several meaty programs at the same time)
Parts Not Required: monitor
Preferred Website(s) for Parts: Newegg has always been cool. Not important as long as they aren't overseas and don't operate from the back of a pickup truck.
Parts Preferences: by brand or type (Intel processor. Not overclocked)
Overclocking: No
SLI or Crossfire: Maybe
Monitor Resolution: Don't need a monitor right now.
Additional Comments: Must render screen graphics (photoshop artwork, multiple layers) fast. Must be able to display large photoshop files easily.

Here are a few more details....

- not a gamer.
- alot of web browsing while working (usually have 10-15 tabs open).
- work on photoshop CS4 and illustrator CS4 daily usually with email open.
- mult-apps open at same time, i.e. photoshop, browser, excel, itune, dreamweaver, ws-ftp, email..
- needs to be quiet.
- would like two drives. A master for the OS and a slave to back up to..both same manufacturer/size/model
- don't want to worry about heat. My current system runs hot and its getting very unstable. Don't want to overclock. Don't want liquid cooling..water parked 2 inches above a project that took me 10 hours to create makes me anxious.
- don't need a robust sound card. Actually could get by with probably what is on motherboard.

Need fast, silent, and capable of multi-tasking.

Questions:
- I primarily want processing power, data pumping speed, and stability. Speed to push large amounts of photoshop data, processing power for graphics work and stability because I don't want to worry about heat and, well, stability.
- maybe dual CPUs? any advantage there?
- while I don't have an additional monitor now, I would like the capability to use two monitors in high-resolution.

I would really like to keep the limit at $1K. I figure I can use my crap monitor now until it croaks (it's just a matter of time).

Thanks for your help. It's been awhile since I bought a PC. This will be my christmas present..so Ho Ho Ho

art2010

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2010
Right now I'm running Windows XP Home on a Pentium 4 3.2 Ghz, with 1 Gb RAM. Like I said, it's been awhile since I've upgraded. A few of my photoshop projects are larger than others..at the larger size, 2.5 GB, at the smaller end only a few MB apiece. My storage are two Western Digital 160 GB drives, with a DVD writer and CD Writer.