Sign in with
Your question
Solved

IS MY BUILD READY BUYING IN AN ABOUT AN HOUR $1500 TOTAL

Last response: in Systems
October 26, 2010 4:32:58 AM

Ok so Im very indecisive but ive narrowed my choices down to this build. Hopefully it looks good, but if not let me know what you guys think and recommend. I have $1500 and am very firm about using it all and getting the most out of this build where performance is the key component. I do realize however that I have the lian-li dragonlord case which is an aesthetic aspect of the build, but my fav color is red and i think a build on this case would be awesome, but I am open to suggestions and revisions to this build.
This build will be used for playing the COD series and Total War series of gaming. I will also use it to transcode avi/mkv to dvd with convertxtodvd. Also it will be used to scan hdds to remove virii as I do part time PC Repair.

Well here it is let me know the damage, remember if you are suggesting a build i would like to use as much of $1500 as possible to get the most performance.

ok a change in the cpu cooler am going with the thermalright silver arrow instead of the noctua nh-d14

Build Rev 1.0
October 26, 2010 11:50:33 AM

is that heatsink enough do i need a better one, do i need all that much of an ssd those r main questions i have about this build, please help me out
m
l
October 26, 2010 1:24:58 PM

I think you'd be better off grabbing a 60GB SDD for $100 less and using that money elsewhere. Are you overclocking? I'd suggest a better heatsink.
m
l
Related resources
October 26, 2010 2:56:39 PM

yes ill definitely be overclocking and more than likely xfire in the future. not extreme overclocking but pretty high up there what heatsink do u suggest
m
l
October 26, 2010 10:44:25 PM

Forget teh xfx psu, out the window. go with corsair, Noctua D14 or 12 is a great cpu cooler.

Evga has better support I like them now over asus due to much better support.
m
l
October 26, 2010 11:27:34 PM

couple of things whats wrong with the xfx its got great reviews and also which evga sub 250$. also if not the xfx which corsair psu, and do u think that i need the 6870 video card for playing cod series and total war series or is it overkill and should i downgrade to the 6850 and use the money elsewhere in this build
m
l
October 27, 2010 1:27:17 AM

ok i think this looks good so let me know

that totals to $1497 and some change including shipping
m
l
October 27, 2010 2:07:29 AM

ok a change in the cpu cooler am going with the thermalright silver arrow instead of the noctua nh-d14
m
l
October 27, 2010 3:45:18 AM

Go with noctua, its qulity with proven record IMO.

what gpu you get depends on your resolution first, tell me what is the native resolution of your monitor you gonna use with this pc.

xfx quailty is not great, whenever reading reviews, always remember that most reviews are just few months old, how the quality of the product really is, is not known. Personally from my own experiences, and a major pc builder's experiences, stay away from xfx if you are looking for quality parts.

this psu is a great psu gives lot of growing room and has great quality, but your pc power and cooling is a good brand also.

inlet has the best ssd, if you can fit one in the budget do so instead.

see if crucial ram gives you better price, 2 sticks of that is better quality.
m
l
October 27, 2010 4:27:15 AM

i would need a 6gb kit 3x2gb and im running a vizio 27" 1080p tv im going with that kit because it has cas latency of 6 and according to anandtech its the best price for performance without going into a ddr3 2000 6gb kit
m
l

Best solution

October 27, 2010 4:27:16 AM

We recommend XFX PSUs here because they have been reviewed by qualified reviewers. They are one of just a few brands that to date receive unqualified positive recommendations. The life of the psu can be assessed by examination of the internal parts and aseembly, which is part of what a qualified reviewer will do.

We also recommend Seasonic, Corsair, Many Antec, some OCZ, and most PCP&C.

Your vid card is fine assuming your primary use is gaming at 1920 resolution.

If you want a "statement" gaming case, take a look at the Silverstone Raven 2. BTW, the HAF X is a great case, just saying depends on what kind of statement you want to make lol.

Honestly, you don't need either case for this build and might consider stepping down the HAF line to grab a bigger SSD, and park your games on it as well.

Nice build! Enjoy it, whichever way you go.
October 27, 2010 4:45:07 AM

Twoboxer said:
We recommend XFX PSUs here because they have been reviewed by qualified reviewers. They are one of just a few brands that to date receive unqualified positive recommendations. The life of the psu can be assessed by examination of the internal parts and aseembly, which is part of what a qualified reviewer will do.

We also recommend Seasonic, Corsair, Many Antec, some OCZ, and most PCP&C.

Your vid card is fine assuming your primary use is gaming at 1920 resolution.

If you want a "statement" gaming case, take a look at the Silverstone Raven 2. BTW, the HAF X is a great case, just saying depends on what kind of statement you want to make lol.

Honestly, you don't need either case for this build and might consider stepping down the HAF line to grab a bigger SSD, and park your games on it as well.

Nice build! Enjoy it, whichever way you go.

well with this combo the haf x is basically 100 bucks what configurations would u recommend i was wondering about a larger ssd, and as for the gfx card the only gaming i will be doing is 3 games Starcraft 2, The Call of Duty Series, and The Total War series do u suggest i downgrade to the 6850 and pick up a bigger ssd if so which one. also do u think that ram kit is overkill or what would you suggest these r some last minute questions i had before i purchased this build

Bottom line is i want the best performance out of this build before i pull the trigger and buy the parts
m
l
October 27, 2010 4:48:16 AM

Well as far as xfx goes, don't say I didn't warn you, if techs at a major pc builder, whom are my friends, so its not like they are tyring to sell me something, are telling me that the xfx psu-s are not doing great at all, I have to go with them, they go thru more psu-s a day the number people here that have the xfx psu.

Personally I recommend only things I would buy myself, and there is no way I'm wasting my money on xfx, when there are better brands with a much longer track record.

for your use, you will never notice the cl of the ram, that ram is for people who want to oc, like my pc:

which you can see here
m
l
October 27, 2010 4:53:55 AM

holy crap nice rig yeah im not going with the xfx more than likely im going with a pc power and cooling psu this exact model PC Power and Cooling Silencer Mk II PPCMK2S750 750W ATX12V v2.2 / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS SILVER Certified also i do plan on overclocking
m
l
October 27, 2010 5:17:36 AM

Best answer selected by syxxnyne69.
m
l
!